What next?

Dinero2005

Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
In the last few weeks I've gotten more and more into this exciting hobby. I started off sorting the cents and pulling out the wheats. Thanks to you guys I got some halves and started picking through those with modest success. What's the next step?

When my ADHD kicks in what's my next bang for my buck? Quarters? Dimes? Nickels? I do have one Rosie that one of my tellers found for me the other day to start my collection but I'm not sure going through dimes is the way to go. What do you think?

Upvote 0

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Halves
2. Halves
3. Halves
4. Dimes

That about sums it up.

HH,
Cody.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
GimmeSomeSilver said:
1. Halves
2. Halves
3. Halves
4. Dimes

That about sums it up.

HH,
Cody.

I am going to expand on this a little.

1: Halves

When no halves

2: Dimes

When no dimes

3: Quarters

When no quarters

4: Pennies

When no pennies

5 Nickles

And of course, always get whatever dime/quarter CWR's you can when they have them in. They have been nothing but skunks for me to date except for Half CWR's but I am sure I will be rewarded someday.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I must disagree.
Halves....always.
but when halves are dry...(like now)
I first resort to nickels, and dimes...What ever is easier to find..
I have never resorted to quarters... I wouldn't see that going well..
And I only do pennies when I am bored...or am trying to work on my wheat books..On that note, i need to find a few boxes of pennies.
just my two cents....HH

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Here's an idea, don't take advice from someone who refers to cents as pennies. They don't know what they are talking about. We always criticize the lack of knowledge on the part of tellers, but hunters refuse to elevate their game out of stubbornness or ignorance.

Now as far as hunting preferences, you have to specify what your goals are. If you are after coins that carry a numismatic premium, then I would say cents are first. There are more errors and varieties over the entire series than other denominations. If you are only interested in silver, then halves and dimes are your best bet.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a metal detector or 3

One for relics
One for coin shooting
One for beach hunting
One for the hell of it

OP
OP
D

Dinero2005

Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Great advice. Obviously everybody has their preferences and that's exactly what I was looking for. Getting access to the coins isn't a problem for me because of my job. That was part of the attraction to this hobby for me.

I'm focused on the silver value at this point and as I learn more I'll start paying more attention to the numismatic side of things. When searching through dimes does everybody just look at the edges or does everybody have a magnifying glass and go one by one? Just brain storming I guess but does anybody use a coin comparator like the Ryedale machine uses for cents?

triplejway

Jul 11, 2011
I think it depends on what your area is producing. Where I am at half boxes are not producing, so I have switched mostly to dimes. I still search CWR of halves as much as I can, but currently dimes return much more than halves where I am at.

As far as searching dimes, I highly recommend rim searching, especially if you will be doing any type of high volume. I think my brain would hurt date searching 2,500 dimes per box.

OP
OP
D

Dinero2005

Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
triplejway said:
I think my brain would hurt date searching 2,500 dimes per box.

That's what I'm thinking. Especially since I'll be getting the dimes at 10,000 per bag. I think I'd go blind before I finished half of them going one by one.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
triplejway said:
. I think my brain would hurt date searching 2,500 dimes per box.

I rim search and then I spread them out in my hand, look them over fast, flip them and look them over again and then toss them into the bag. Unless its pretty obvious and I am not distracted, I should not miss a glaring error. The harder to find errors I would obviously miss because I basically dont know enough about them to see them.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The_EE said:
triplejway said:
. I think my brain would hurt date searching 2,500 dimes per box.

I rim search and then I spread them out in my hand, look them over fast, flip them and look them over again and then toss them into the bag. Unless its pretty obvious and I am not distracted, I should not miss a glaring error. The harder to find errors I would obviously miss because I basically dont know enough about them to see them.

Dont forget the last verification, sound test.

Ive caught 2 or 3 this way, one being a merc. CLANK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread