WHAT! No Numerical Depth gauge on Deus 2?

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
So I was looking at new detectors and reading up on them. Been looking at MXT All Pro, (another) V3/V3i, AT Max, Deus 2, Fisher F75 and Minelab Manticore.
I come across a post on to to determine the depth of objects with the Deus 2. I read it and find out that there isn't a numerical depth gauge which is even worse than the black bar that means 2 inches or 3 inches or whatever it is. IMO that is a negative check point on what to buy. I also read and watched a video on the XY Screen, which totally reminds me of the Whites V3i's Vector Analysis Screen and I think the DFX had one hidden in a menu.
The Garret and Fisher are looking more attractive, and so is the MXT All Pro and V3i again. IDK what to get.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not sure what type of detecting you are into.
But in 55 yrs I have never worried about the depth.
Loud banging signal, close or a large target.
Soft queaker of a target, very small, or deep.
Field/bush dig wide and deep.
Target still in the hole, dig deeper.
6" plug recoveries get a large % of the finds.
I wouldn't even know if any of the machines have one actually.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the v3i and now have the Deus II. I didn't like the lack of a depth gauge either, but I really don't miss it. Like @pepperj said, the sound will tell you size and depth. As for the X/Y screen vs the v3i analysis screen, it's not really quite the same either. The v3i gave you more info about the relative strength in each of the three frequencies, which was mostly useful in deciding what kind of metal it was. The X/Y is more about signal quality and shape, and the position of the lines on the X/Y will tell you whether it's ferrous or not, while VDI will give you a general idea of what kind of metal.

I liked the v3i, but I'd rather use the Deus.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure why you would be so concerned about an object's depth. You're telling me if a machine says something is 3" down and that's what you dig down to but don't find anything you're going to stop? I guess each to his own but I think I'm with a huge majority who never uses a depth gauge.

OP
OP
mgtmadness

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
Yes I do use a depth gauge. Sometimes I wont even dig it if it is deep. I use a lesche hand held digger and if I have to did 10-12 inches in the woods with rocks etc, I wont do it. I will skip it. If i have to dig that deep in a soccer field, I might dig it with the lesche but more so probably not.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
The D2 audio gives a lot of information and it is easy to tell deep from shallow targets. But if you want something visual to tell you how deep a target is, you'll probably want another brand. Do what ever floats your boat but why would you consider an MXT or AT Max when there are so many other machines on the market that will run circles around them?

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I do use a depth gauge. Sometimes I wont even dig it if it is deep. I use a lesche hand held digger and if I have to did 10-12 inches in the woods with rocks etc, I wont do it. I will skip it. If i have to dig that deep in a soccer field, I might dig it with the lesche but more so probably not.
I admit when I first started out detecting I used a depth gauge as well but I felt it was not worth my time or effort after digging and finding out they are not that accurate. At least from my experience. But if it works for you, that's great to hear. The Deus II does have an audio response which tells you if a target is deep vs shallow but not necessarily how deep.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The D2 audio gives a lot of information and it is easy to tell deep from shallow targets.
The only caveat I would add to that is that a large target that is deep will sound similar to a small target that is shallow. At least to my ears. I've dug some really tiny little things that didn't make much noise, so they weren't nearly as deep as I thought they would be. Could be I just need more practice. I'm working on it. 8-)

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use a D2 on the beach with pitch tone which indicates depth by the strength of tone. Other than that, I don’t really see lack of a numerical depth gauge as an issue. I’ll just dig until I find the target one of the advantages of beach hunting…easy digging. Just the view from my foxhole….😉

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So you're out in the bush, get a target that is deep, and you pass.
Can I follow you sir because I love the deep targets.
10" this afternoon got me sweet looking one.
20240406_173015.jpg

OP
OP
mgtmadness

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
The D2 audio gives a lot of information and it is easy to tell deep from shallow targets. But if you want something visual to tell you how deep a target is, you'll probably want another brand. Do what ever floats your boat but why would you consider an MXT or AT Max when there are so many other machines on the market that will run circles around them?
I am not in competition with other detectors. I like American made and branded detectors. I feel the need to support Americans and too keep Americans employed. Well at least help with that. I like replaceable batteries, I like a numerical depth gauge, I like a color screen, I like to edit every single VDI number, I like to edit every single tone to assign to every single VDI,I don't like things that Garrett, Fisher, nokta, XP, and Minelab don't have. But I also like things they do have.
I like to buy multiple coils, I had all the coils for all my previous whites machine, and they all could use the same coil, well the dfx,mxt, and V3i anyway.
Heck my Tv is a 2010 model. Will my PS5 look better on a new hd 4k led $3000 tv? Yes it sure will, but it still works on my old tv.
Don't get me wrong the manticore looks great, but from what I read and seen it has jumpy vdi numbers which I seen in videos. The XP deus 2 looks awesome, but $400 for 1 coil, and they don't even have a 4x6, or 6x10. Non replaceable batteries? WTH, that is one reason why I won't buy the Apex, because of a non replaceable battery.
The ctx3030 I have wanted for years, but $2000, and the price still hasn't come down. It's has been what a decade or more?
Who knows maybe I will just buy coils for my V3i, or but another V3, maybe I will just buy a Tesoro Silver Umax, or a MXT Pro, maybe I will go in debt and buy a manticore or XP deus 2, and have serious buyers remorse and only get out 6 times this year.
Maybe I will just buy a Prusa MK4 or save for the 5 tool head Prusa XL.
I just don't know and getting flack because I am not dropping to my knees and buying what everyone else is..

Next thing you know, there will be an app to DL to your phone and you can use your phone for the control unit to control everything on your detector.
I just don't know and I was kinda hoping for help in the forums, and not the help that says buy the latest and greatest and most expensive because it is way faster and deeper than anything previously.
As I said, there are things I like about the new detectors and things I don't like. Right now, the don't like are out weighing the likes.

OP
OP
mgtmadness

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
So you're out in the bush, get a target that is deep, and you pass.
Can I follow you sir because I love the deep targets.
10" this afternoon got me sweet looking one.
View attachment 2141888
That is nice. Looks like you are in a corn field. I'm using a lesche hand digger, so I probably would dig that. In these, NY woods with rocks and boulders and shale, no I would not dig it with a hand digger, I would pass it. I would use a shovel if I had one.
Did you use a shovel to dig that?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is nice. Looks like you are in a corn field. I'm using a lesche hand digger, so I probably would dig that. In these, NY woods with rocks and boulders and shale, no I would not dig it with a hand digger, I would pass it. I would use a shovel if I had one.
Well the Lesche is better suited for digging in and around rocks than a shovel.
Yes I use a custom made shovel. 11" of blade, heavy, cut a 12" round plug in heavy sod, slam the boot down on the handle, plug flips out.
About 10 yrs old now.
20240208_124702.jpg

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out predator tools. I bought a small shovel and hand digging tools from them. Well worth the price.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Next thing you know, there will be an app to DL to your phone and you can use your phone for the control unit to control everything on your detector.
I just don't know and I was kinda hoping for help in the forums, and not the help that says buy the latest and greatest and most expensive because it is way faster and deeper than anything previously.
As I said, there are things I like about the new detectors and things I don't like. Right now, the don't like are out weighing the likes.
Whatever makes you happy MGT. It's not a contest. We are here to enjoy the hobby. If you prefer certain features and you are not necessarily concerned about performance, with all the options out there you should be able to find something that checks most of your boxes.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the Lesche is better suited for digging in and around rocks than a shovel.
Yes I use a custom made shovel. 11" of blade, heavy, cut a 12" round plug in heavy sod, slam the boot down on the handle, plug flips out.
About 10 yrs old now.
View attachment 2141889
Ooh, I likey! 😛

I'm using a $15 cheapie from Home Despot until I figure out what I need/want for the various soils I'll encounter. I've been taking notes. 😉

Maybe I will just buy a Prusa MK4 or save for the 5 tool head Prusa XL.
Wow, Prusa makes a metal detector ‽ 😲 🤣

I just don't know and getting flack because I am not dropping to my knees and buying what everyone else is..
??? :icon_scratch: Did you ask for opinions and then didn't get the answers you wanted? :dontknow: IDK.

That may not be so far-fetched...

Some years back I made a foray into geocaching. Garmin makes a few different GPS units specifically for geocaching, at different price points with different features. While I was researching these units, there was some scuttlebutt about GPS apps for iPhones coming out that would do most of the same things without the need for a special GPS unit.

So I can certainly envision an app that would allow an iPhone to serve as RC part of a detector.

So what kind of help--specifically--were you hoping for? ???

A lot of what you're bitching opining about fits in with my query as to why there isn't (more of) a DIY Open Source Metal Detecting niche.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only caveat I would add to that is that a large target that is deep will sound similar to a small target that is shallow. At least to my ears. I've dug some really tiny little things that didn't make much noise, so they weren't nearly as deep as I thought they would be. Could be I just need more practice. I'm working on it. 8-)
You just explained why any so-called depth gauge is a lie. All they are doing is taking a look at the returned signal strength and the conductivity (TID) and saying, "with that TID, it must be a dime, so a dime returning with that signal strength would be at such-and-such a depth". It is no more than an educated guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread