I use a 1266X to pinpoint! Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Seriously though, I recommend everyone to try to perfect their pin pointing feature on their metal detectors. Say if you have a signal that indicates 6 inches and you have an 8' plug dug and it is still reading straight down, then loosen the dirt around the edges of the hole. I have had buddies call me over to help with recovery and they already have a hole over a foot deep. I come over, try the hole and tell them "It's on that edge" and they dig the edge to find the target was only 4 inches deep! If you feel like you are digging forever and it's still down there and yet the signal wasn't that deep, then without a doubt it is on the edge.
I'm not against probes, and have no problem with people using them. I just want everyone to get to "know" their machines better.
Good luck to all.
Dave.