What should I do ?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a lot of people asking they think they found something and need advice . What should they do to recover something they find. They usually ask on this forum someplace . They ask for generalized opinions from people that have NO IDEA what there state laws are. my advice is if you have w=questions ASK AN ATTORNEY IN your STATE OR AREA> BE SAFE !!!

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a lot of people asking they think they found something and need advice . What should they do to recover something they find. They usually ask on this forum someplace . They ask for generalized opinions from people that have NO IDEA what there state laws are. my advice is if you have w=questions ASK AN ATTORNEY IN your STATE OR AREA> BE SAFE !!!
Great advise, or when applicable, local or state authorities.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Add in the attorney fees, in case you are over excited. It is far more common for diggers in this hobby to THINK they found something unique. I won't throw money at a lawyer if I don't have one in my family or from a close fiend. Do whatever you want, this is just me.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with CreakyDigger, bragging can, sometimes get you into trouble.
If the "government" decides THEY want it, you don't have enough "taxpayers" $$$ to fight them.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture your self in a count room . The DA is aking where you got your information from. Your reply is "I asked a question on the internet and SOMEONE posted it was ok " If your gonna do something make sure it is LEGAL FIRST !!

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there are ATTORNEY fees involved but it MIGHT SAVE you COURT COSTS !!!

Dejure

Nov 30, 2023
IF seeking legal advice, ALWAYS get the advice in writing. If you fail to do so and find yourself in legal trouble for relying on it, the attorney who gave the advice can deny having given it, or can claim you misunderstood.

Even if given legal advice, you are liable for damages you cause in the course of following it. Your only recourse may be to sue the attorney for having given erroneous advice [you relied on] and which resulted in a damage.

I informed a county clerk of the foregoing when she was relying on erroneous advice from a county prosecutor [regarding public disclosure laws], then went on to say [in the document I'd submitted], she should be very leery of relying on any advice the prosecutor's civil division gave her, and was hesitant to put in writing.

At the next hearing, the clerk had fired the county prosecutor and replaced him with private counsel. My guess is, he wasn't willing to back his advice in writing because he knew he could be liable for it.

Dejure

Nov 30, 2023
If you found it, and had permission to be there, I wouldn't say anything to anyone.
Pappy pounded this into our heads all those many, many decades ago. If word got out, you invited trouble from many sources, public and private.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions