What size retrieving magnet should I purchase?

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
I was thinking of buying a retrieving magnet to see if I could find anything interesting underwater(lures, knives, tackle, etc). I'm planning on using it at fishing docks and other deep water places frequented by people. On impulse, I almost bought a 250lb pull magnet from harbor freight's site, but I decided to ask you guys first if I'm going a little overboard. Am I likely to find anything worthwhile that I would need a 250lb magnet for? It's not the price(only $12.99) that bothers me, but that the magnet might cause more trouble than it's worth. I would imagin it wouldn't be easy getting it loose if it got caught on something too large underwater or on land. My other choices are a 100lb or a 150lb pull.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36905 250lb pull

Also interested in reading any magnet treasure hunting experiences :)

Any input is appreciated

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for the one rated at 250 lbs. Those magnets are usually a little bit over rated. When you get it, use a strong cord / rope / cable to attach it to. I have some 1/8th inch steel cable for mine. When you feed the magnet into the water, do it slowly and the cable should stay clear. Those magnets do not " grab " everything that comes within a few inches. It normally has to touch the object to grab it. Once it grabs, it will hold on pretty good. It might even hold up an outboard motor as long as it stays under water.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These magnets are rated by a pull against a flat surface. Stick one on your fridge and you will no doubt scratch it getting it to the edge where you might get it off. Outboards are mainly alum but the older ones weren't. A strong cable is needed incase you come across a huge piece of iron. Many nice items can be found this way, even metalic coins.

OP
OP
B

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
Thanks shortstack and sandman. Took shortstack's advice and picked up the 250 today. It's really strong. Tested it and had some trouble getting it off of flat surfaces, like sandman said. Seems to help if I pull on just one end. I bought 330 pound test poly rope. Hope that's strong enough. Would you upgrade or chance it?

Sandman do you mean canadian coins? I'm also from Michigan, so I might encounter a few of those. I tested some and the quarters and dimes stick really well.

I might try it out tomorrow between classes.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 330 lb test line should work OK, but the real trick is going to be attaching it. I'm not a sailor, but I do know that there are methods used by experienced sailors for attaching lines to equipment that you might be able to adapt. What I'm getting at is , use a method that doesn't result in a big, bodacious knot at the magnet. ;D Also, put the magnet into a plastic bag; then "burp" the bag and tie it around the mag. That way, you can clean the trash metallic pieces from the mag by simply removing the bag. That goes for recovering those Canadian coins, too.

Sandman is right about today's outboards being aluminum, but the older ones had enough steel to grab to. The older ones might be antique / collectible and usuable for parts; if nothing else.

If you live in Duck hunting country, you might hear of some hunter losing a gun overboard. Keep your ears opened for salvage opportunities, too. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
Great advice on the bag. I was actually thinking about that problem today. I have 100ft of rope, so I'm thinking of folding it in half and tieing both ends to the magnet. That way if a knot comes undone I still have one more. Might make it easier for the rope to get caught though.

OP
OP
B

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
Does your magnet shred the plastic bags? I have tried freezer bags and plastic grocery bags. They keep getting shredded in short amounts of time, even when I tried double bagging. The sharp edges on the magnet don't really help matters.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plastic bags will get torn and I see no way around this. It will mainly help with removing the small bits of iron. Coins and such can be held onto for pulling them off the magnet. My magnets have an eyebolt for attaching the line and I use a Bowline knot as I am an ex sailor.

I got my idea for using a magnet while visiting in Canada and sat around a fountain where many coins were tossed in the water. They were just resting on the bottom in a foot of water teasing me.

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
The best way to fasten the rope to anything it to back braid a loop into the end of the
rope and then use a small clevis. No knot to get stuck on anything and the loop only
gets tighter before it comes out.
Joe

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
The best way to fasten the rope to anything it to
back braid a loop into the end of the
rope and then use a small clevis. >:(

Bowline knot ;D ;D ;D

all have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
B

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
Thanks for the advice everyone. I used clinch knots, but maybe I'll retry with bowlines.

Sandman said:
I got my idea for using a magnet while visiting in Canada and sat around a fountain where many coins were tossed in the water. They were just resting on the bottom in a foot of water teasing me.

lol People are so lucky in Canada, when it comes to magnet fishing

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bowfin said:
Great advice on the bag. I was actually thinking about that problem today. I have 100ft of rope, so I'm thinking of folding it in half and tieing both ends to the magnet. That way if a knot comes undone I still have one more. Might make it easier for the rope to get caught though.

Great idea, I have three on mine, when i pulled up a 55 gallon from of mud out of Dickinson Bayou, I thought for sue my single 300 lb poly was going to break, so i tripled it........Happy hunting all.....

Messer

Greenie
Jan 17, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO, Fisher F75, Fisher Cold Bg II, Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here is a 450lb pull force magnet that is only 2 inches X 2 inches.
(Link removed by mod)

Neodymium magnets are the world's strongest magnets.
Don't use any "Chinese" magnets from any supermarket Like magnet4less Because there's no warranty of it's forces also poor quality. How you will chek that this one is 450lb ?
2x2.JPG
i warrant you that there's nothing about it's real forces. There's only popular tales of the seller about 450lb with 2x2in sizes. Magnets like this never designed for water and treasure huntings. So it don't have any parameters like pull power that should be measured with lb or kg. No any magnets have pull forces if it's not marked on it.

If you need real magnet for real water hunting, there's specialy designed more rugged and efficient treasure salvage magnetfor it maded by Russian milittary factory. it's pull power starts from 120kg and up to 800kg. I recommend you to buy "Russian hunters choise" magnet - 300 or 400kg (two sided). One of magnet like ebay item number 252216720064 that i attach bellow
(Link removed by mod)
2F400Side.jpg

In Russia 120-200kg pull power magnets named as "baby magnets".

bellow you can watch video about factory testing 400kg pull power one sided magnet (189$)

real things founded by 300kg pull power two sided magnet
Ядра РнД.jpg P8160354.JPG P8160358.JPG

Last edited:

Chemhead

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2017
NW Washington
Detector(s) used
Underwater Magnetic Retrieval
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Treasure Hunting Magnet Size Discussion

Hey - This is a great Thread I had to try mostly by Trial and Error for the best size, it really depends on what your situation is. I'm not sure if I agree with whoever is selling these Russian magnets, some of his comments don't make much sense, it could just be translation though.

I only use Neodymium magnets as the weight to power ratio is far better which means you can much more easily feel any hits that you have while you are fishing in the water. Therefore I prefer a smaller magnet around the 100-120 lb pull force for my main working magnet it is pretty light and you can easily feel when you get a lure or even a bottle cap or coin. It's best to just jig it off the bottom which seems to be the most efficient movement and 99% of the time the pull force will be more than sufficient.

Always look for the most compact Magnet, lowest surface area to pull. The wider a magnet gets the less balanced it is and therefore you get a lower practical pull force, especially on the smaller uneven items that are found 99.9% of the time. Think of it this way, if you have a big wide magnet it will rotate off the center easier when pulling up an object which effectively lowers the pull force and begins to rely on friction between the magnet and the object which is nowhere near as effective. It is much easier to slide a magnet off the refrigerator than pull it away perpendicularly.

I always bring along a larger magnet in the 400 lb range just in case I get something bigger, but much larger than that and I don't really want to pull it up and deal with it, too many chiropractor visits, ruined clothes way too much mess for me and not practical unless you are Arnold Schwarzenegger. ("I let him go." Quote) The heavier magnets also greatly lessen the feel of the hit when an object is originally pulled to the magnet. You won't even know that you get a smaller object until you pull it out of the water. I almost always find objects first with my smaller magnets (100-120 lb range) then just pull out the big boys when needed. The bigger ones are also more expensive and there is always the chance that the rope comes loose or the magnet get's wedged in debris and lost etc.

Something else to think about is that I really like to just carry my magnets around so that I'm ready to do a little fishing at lunch etc. but they were so dang annoying to carry around, stuff jumped to them and no way I would carry in my pocket or just let the kids play with them or even showing them off at the office usually meant people got scared of them because scissors etc would just fly to them. Now I have some that come with covers which I love, they can be carried in your pocket, glove box or even tacklebox without stuff jumping to them all the time. Can't tell you how many cuts I have on my hands and pants from the magnets opening my knife, well worth the couple bucks more to get something quality which was designed for convenience. Wish I would have done them sooner. I don't know how to link but I just got a picture on Etsy. I would suggest picking up something with a protective cover or design something yourself, I'm just too lazy to put all the extra time in, it made my life way easier and I go out more and find more stuff because I have it with me all the time. The ones I have is called Tacklemag S from MagPowerDesign on Etsy which I really like, there are a couple sizes/shapes, but it's up to you, there could be other brands as well.

magnet image.png

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be great if this were moved to the magnet fishing discussion.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 115 lb on poles when I wade the creeks. I pulled out a pistol last weekend and a lot of cool stuff. Have fun magnet fishing is a blast.

BlotInk

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2018
New Orleans
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the 115 lb on poles when I wade the creeks. I pulled out a pistol last weekend and a lot of cool stuff. Have fun magnet fishing is a blast.

That's pretty cool. You just drag the magnets behind you? Or actively cast them around. What kind of poles do you use?

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did you turn in the pistol to the local sheriff? Might be that it was deliberately placed in the creek if you get my drift...

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions