What is valuable that can be found with a magnet?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a pontoon boat on Lake Lanier north of Atlanta. It is the largest lake in GA, but not so big by other states lake. But more importantly, one of the busiest lakes in the country in terms of boaters.

What can I expect to find lake hunting with a magnet. Lake 100 ft deep out in the middle, but not sure I would be magnet hunting in that depth. More like where the boaters pull up to boaters beaches and around the docks.

It seems like I would be just pulling up ferrous items that may be interesting, but hardly valuable. I had two 30 foot sailboats over the past 20 years and lost a lot of tools overboard and a pair of sunglasses but that was about it.

can you retrieve cell phones? afraid to try my iPhone on a magnet, may damage a component with the strong magnet.

Thanks

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rods and reels, filet knives, tools, trolling motors, maybe a safe, guns, keys and yes, cell phones.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably best to hunt in more shallow waters less that 25 feet. Close to docks, boat ramps, swimming areas, bridges, fishing docks, and anywhere else that is frequented by folks. Cell phones that have the battery cover that is ferrous cam be brought up, I have several that I found. Good luck

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any bridges that run over the lake, even in deep water. Criminals love to ditch stolen property off bridges where they think it will never be seen again.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pontoon boat on Lake Lanier north of Atlanta. It is the largest lake in GA, but not so big by other states lake. But more importantly, one of the busiest lakes in the country in terms of boaters.

What can I expect to find lake hunting with a magnet. Lake 100 ft deep out in the middle, but not sure I would be magnet hunting in that depth. More like where the boaters pull up to boaters beaches and around the docks.

It seems like I would be just pulling up ferrous items that may be interesting, but hardly valuable. I had two 30 foot sailboats over the past 20 years and lost a lot of tools overboard and a pair of sunglasses but that was about it.

can you retrieve cell phones? afraid to try my iPhone on a magnet, may damage a component with the strong magnet.

Thanks

Sounds like fun !:) At our lake we have a submerged town,wonder whats down there ? But What ever is there it will stay there at 300+ Ft.
Founded 1818 > https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/virginia/underwater-ghost-town-hiding-in-va/

Last edited:

Georgia Placer

Aug 17, 2021
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2, vanquish 540, carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t forget finding watches and sunglasses!

HAVE - magnets/beer/gas money.

WILL- travel

“ The best boat you ever owned was your buddies boat!”

-Josh

Connor McCloud

Aug 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few videos where a guy takes his magnet and goes out to the creek or river then sticks some black sands to it for the sluice and they do find gold. The conditions of your spot would have alot to do with it too but it does prove the point that you can use that as a tool for gold prospecting.

I got an 1800 pound double sider but I still need to locktite it together and string it up but soon my precious will be deployed again.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If in civil war battle areas cannon balls grape shot and mortars are all magnetic and they fetch a good price

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread