What's new

What The ????? From Georgia.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2011
Messages
2,809
Reaction score
4,474
Golden Thread
0
Location
Stuart VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this many years ago in a creek in southwest Georgia. Any ideas? It is about 3 inches by 2 inches. Creek was full of cretaceous period fossils.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2258.webp
    IMG_2258.webp
    400.3 KB · Views: 151
The interlocking formation is reminiscent of an ammonite, but the shape is so peculiar. Not really sure, but I would put confidence in thinking it's just some minerals and calcite crystals.
 
The interlocking formation is reminiscent of an ammonite, but the shape is so peculiar. Not really sure, but I would put confidence in thinking it's just some minerals and calcite crystals.

I do believe you are correct that it is a species of cephalopod.
To me it looks like a species of Turrilites.
That would explain the peculiar twist.

Those are definitely suture patterns.
Obvious lobe and saddle structure.

Jess B.
 
What makes you think that Austin

Ditto, what makes you think worm burrows!!!!!
Those are without a doubt suture patterns.
Calcite crystal replacement. Beautiful stuff polished.

Jess B.
 
Me being in the saltwater aquarium hobby, I was instantly reminded of Nudibranch or sea slug. Especially the Doriprismatica atromarginata. I am in no way an expert in fossils. I just figured it might be worth mentioning just in case.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom