what the heck?

tad0matic

Greenie
Oct 14, 2010
Hey guys, I was reading over all the neat stuff on this forum when I stumbled across the marble section :D
I was impressed with the level of knowledge that some of you guys have about marbles, and it reminded me of an old oddity that I had stuck in a box somewhere. after much effort and finally having to ask my wife to find it for me here it is. I remember paying a quarter for it at a flea market in Tennessee 5 or 10 years back, the guy told me they had found a ton of old marbles in an old marble manufacturing plant somewhere in the mountains (I think) although its hard to remember. i bought this one cause it looked like an eyeball a little bit. My suspicion is it was an old rejects bin that the plant operators left when they shut the doors, but what do you guys think?

Attachments

• marble 004.jpg
    marble 004.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 415
  • marble 005.jpg
    marble 005.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 409
  • marble 006.jpg
    marble 006.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 394
  • marble 003.jpg
    marble 003.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 399

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
I'm far from expert but that looks to be a clay marble... I think it might have a lil value..don't quote me cause I am not experinced enough to know for sure....

OP
OP
T

tad0matic

Greenie
Oct 14, 2010
I'm sure it's clay or at least some kind of stone, but IT AINT ROUND! I'm fairly certain thats pretty important for marbles ;D
I was just wondering what some of you guys thought about a "ton" of these being found in an old plant. any ideas?

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
I am no expert however if i got a hold of a bunch of them I would 1 go to a rock or gem dealer to find out what would give them a gloss finish. 2 place them on e-bay and put an outrageous premium on them. As Imperfect and not round as your specimen is . I would think it would be worth some research. Rob :coffee2:

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
those marbles are part of a scam...google atlanta marbles or tennesee marbles to get the info...for years those are surfacing with various stories and designs...at the start they were sellin for 25$ plus and many people got stuck when they bought lots of em in great numbers and for big money...they were researched by experts and tested and found out 8 years ago or so that the paint they used was modern...some designs were made by felt tip pens...they are pretty and could prob trade for better but the scam killed em and today are the bane of the collectors community

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread