What the???

SGTDirk

Sep 2, 2005
Columbia, SC
Okay so my wife and I bought some land in Laurens county South Carolina. 5 acres with two creeks. So I had to go and try a little prospecting. Okay this is where I'm a bit confused. I did find a little color, not much but I was doing some exploring so I'm pleased. When I got home I ran my consentrates through my blue bowl after all the black sands where washed out there was something shiny and silver in the bowl. Now I know it isn't gold, but what would it be? I know a picture would help, but I didn't take one. I'm headed back out in like 10 min, so I will get a pic of it. I was just wondering if anyone would know what it might be.

Rob

Upvote 0

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool hope you find some good gold happy hunting

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
used to use mercury to attract the gold. dispose of it if it is

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah, what's the chance of that?

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Platinum is heavier than gold so if that's what's left after concentrating it I wouldn't rule it out. But a picture would help.

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
My guess would be mercury over gold if the area has been worked commercially before.

Attachments

• image-1267113426.jpg
    image-1267113426.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 151
OP
OP
S

SGTDirk

Sep 2, 2005
Columbia, SC
ForumRunner_20130223_160519.png

ForumRunner_20130223_160540.png

Okay the top pic should be the black sands I get, not very black, that is after getting all the blonds out. No clue why it isn't black.

Second pic is hard to see but there should be a flake or two shining. I know it isn't mercury. But no clue.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Actually I take back what I said about Mercury, unless you were near Rabon Creek. There was a couple old hard rocks mines in Laurens which used mercury for gold recovery near Rabon creek and that's the first thing I thought of initially, such as at :

Raeburn Creek Prospect (Rabon Prospect), Laurens Co., South Carolina, USA

However the vermiculite district there in Laurens is both large and well known; and furthermore vermiculite is an alteration product of ultramafic rocks which can be a source of platinum (weathering of mafic and ultramafic rocks and then secondary concentration of the platinum in river placers).

One reason you don't have many black sands is because there are so many other heavier minerals present in that area. Laurens Co., South Carolina, USA Monazite, ilmenite, zircon and chromite for example are all very heavy minerals, heavier then iron oxides, and many of those will be present in your concentrates depending on where you are at in that area. We call the white/red monazite sand the white devil cause its very hard to separate from gold. You will also see a very bright sparkly grey metallic looking mineral that will hang up in your first riffles, however on closer inspection or under the microscope you will see its not metallic at all but rather little crystals of zircon that sparkle because they are translucent.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

not really....."attract",really isnt the word......mercury attaches to gold,and throw it away and likely throw gold away as well

OP
OP
S

SGTDirk

Sep 2, 2005
Columbia, SC
Thanks for the help, still no clue what the silver stuff is, but got the rest sorted. You guys try the phone app. For treasurenet? Man this is nice.

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn, Astrobouncer knows his minerals!!! Good for you bro!! You should believe him....especially cuz I'm so darn colorblind myself!!

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Its what i use only trouble is on my Droid razor max it doesn't like to show all the pictures posted only like half i get to see

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be platinum

What he said, there's always the chance with platinum. Usually shows up like fine flour, but it's heavier than gold. I get it in my pan out here in California. Most of the time it's so fine and so little that I don't even worry about it. It fetches a higher price than gold right now. you need take some in and have assayed.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mercury has an "affinity" to Gold.....and if it was Mercury "disposing" it would be more hazardous then storing it properly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions