What's new

What tis it?

nyiangelo

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
639
Reaction score
27
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Sure hope someone has seen something like this before. I'm not sure what it is. What ever it was apart of was nicely decorated. You can see the tube, which I think is brass ,is not solid by the crease in it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1894.webp
    IMG_1894.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_1896.webp
    IMG_1896.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 374
I don't know. I have seen something similar to it though and cannot figure it out....Too much codeine cough medicine the Doc's got me on. ::) It's very cool though. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Rando said:
4-H said:
I don't know. I have seen something similar to it though and cannot figure it out....Too much codeine cough medicine the Doc's got me on. ::) It's very cool though. :thumbsup:

The cough medicine?
:laughing7:
I knew you were going to say that. I've seen this before. nyiangelo I'm curious to see what it is
 
Upvote 0
Is the tube hollow?
My WAG- powderhorn neck.
 
Upvote 0
angelo, that is one extremely neat find!!!! The odds are probably one in a zillion, but because seems nautical with the dolphin, and because it was a hollow tube, I'm wondering if it could possibly be part of a whistle of a style we're not familiar with. Can't wait until this one gets figured out!
 
Upvote 0
It looks as if something is broken off of the piece opposite of the serpent like creature. Could this be a piece or part of accoutrement? Sword hanger piece?
 
Upvote 0
It looks as if something is broken off of the piece opposite of the serpent like creature. Could this be a piece or part of accoutrement? Sword hanger piece?
That's what I was thinking :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Tim
 
Upvote 0
Bosun's whistle

LOL Rando on the cough meds.
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Bosun's whistle

Get well Rando.

Breezie, that's what I was getting at, a Boatwain's whistle of some sort, as it was found in Texas maybe Spanish, French, hung by the piece broken off, and with the dolphin on the bottom for decoration (doesn't seem to show wear on the inside loop to have been for suspension) . I can't find any examples of really old ones yet, just the ones of the style we're used to seeing with the plate along the pipe which holds the ball. Maybe a plate was brazed along this once. Anyway a hollow tube wouldn't be for supporting anything heavy... it's too weak. It's a long shot though if it is a whistle.
 
Upvote 0
sure is purty.
 
Upvote 0
Stem/arm from a fancy candelabra?

Any other nearby finds to give some context?

15184.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom