What to ask VT to order Ikes?

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Months ago I asked the VT that I go to each week about ordering Ikes, her response was her coin order sheet doesn’t have it to order.

I bring her small treats every time I pick up from her. She shares the treats with the other tellers.

They all save old bills(1950s)/coins(none yet) for me. I think I have a pretty nice relationship with her….so I want to take advantage of it and ask for Ikes.

The thing is I don’t want to ask bluntly and get turned down again, and I’d have to wait months to ask again.

What are some good conversation skills to ask her to try order some?

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She is likely telling the truth. Her order sheet most likely does not have Ikes listed. All you can do is ask her to check with the courier to see if they can be obtained. Either she will, or she won't. Even if she is willing, her superiors may not be, and/or they might not even be able to get them for you if they tried. There isn't any secret "technique" that I can think of, so just ask.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
The next time you take a treat to her ask her again if she could order some Ike's. If she has figured out how to get them you're all set. If she still can't,beacause her order sheet isn't playing nice, ask for her advice. Acknowledge that vault operations are her specialty and she's the go-to person (assuming she is) for questions regarding ordering coins, she might have some suggestions as to how you could get some Ike's. Even if she doesn't have any ideas for you she should still have a warm fuzzy for you because you recognized her as someone with expertise in her area of the bank. Never can tell, might help you down the road with another request.

Something else to try is picking up the phone and letting your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages. Call banks & credit unions and ask them if they could get you some Ike's. Worst that's going to happen is being told "No"; which is where you're at right now. Phoning will be quick but possibly not as likely to get your Ike's as a face-to-face request. You could also say you are looking for a bank to open an account with (assuming you actually would) if they can order some coins for you.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
She has no way to order the Ikes, you just can't force the issue. I know bringing treats works for some, for others it backfires. If they didn't know what old coins/notes to look for in the past, they do now, and the good stuff (coins/notes) is going home with them.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if she said she can't order ikes, she can't order ikes.

you can't just keep asking for something that is not there, that's how bank relationships end.

CRHnut

Greenie
Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have asked time after time to order Ikes at banks. No banks can order them. Ike dollars are not made any more and there isn't a steady amount of them as they don't regularly circulate. The only way to get them is if a person cashes some rolls in.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked the same at my bank, they said they can only order the president dollar coins. She also said that it was so fun to go thru the coins looking for the silver dollars and halves. Well I guess that means no silver there.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, someone did get some Morgans from an Ike bag, so it may be possible.

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
Banks will not order boxes of Ike's because the Services do not provide rolls and boxes for circulation. But when someone turns Ikes in, the banks have to take them. Those that don't get grabbed by the tellers or someone asking off the street have to go somewhere. Either the bank has them bagged somewhere in their system, or they turn their Ikes into the Armored Car Services for credit. The Services are not going to roll them and box them for shipment back to a bank, they are either going to store them in bags or ship bags of them back to the Fed. Find a bank who has knowledge of and access to the bags and you may get some Ikes to search.... This is your mission, if you choose to take it...

OP
OP
GEOFF

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Operations Resources - FedCash Services Coin Depositing and Ordering

According to the link above ikes can be ordered and deposited with the Federal Reserve, we just need a way to get coin carriers to order them from the fed. Then get banks to order from the carriers, the fed must be sitting on hundreds of thousands worth of ikes.

So I spoke with the VT last week about the Ikes, VT called me today and is about to order me $1,000 in dollars with as many Ikes as possible and the rest in president dollars in a box since source does not have enough Ikes but need to ship $1,000 a time. (from past posts, I think it’d be in a bag.) So wish me luck and nail a morgan folks!! Will update once I get the coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread