What's new

What to do when the parks run dry

Mezrein503

Full Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2010
Messages
122
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I've got 21 parks in my area, most are newer or have been renovated and have a top soil containing mostly rock, which my bounty hunter tracker II does not like at all. I've hit most of the parks, and am starting to run into a dry spell. In a lot of cases, Im unable to hit the grassy areas because the ground is still to hard from the heat, and in the places I can hit the grassy area, as stated before, the top soil is almost nothing but rock. So what do I do? School's starting soon so I wont be able to hit tot lots until the weekend, and even then, I still need to wait for the rains to come to hit the grassy areas because of the hard ground. Of course, anyone who lives in or knows Oregon also knows, that once the rains come, they generally dont leave for awhile.

What do you guys do when your parks start to run out? Sadly in my area, almost all the old homes and old lots are either gone and rebuilt on top of, or the city wont let me near them.

Help ??? ??? ???
 
When it's too hard to dig and the tot lots, schools, or whatever aren't thrilling me.....I go find some water. There is probably some close to you in some form or another. When it's hot, people hit the lakes and rivers, so I join 'em.
 
My only fear of water hunting is that Im worried Im going to damage the detector. Its not offically "my" detector, but my brother-in-laws. I know the manual says that the 7" coil is waterproof, but I dunno, ya know? :) I'd love to hit the water though.
 
I research for older parks and I don't believe they will ever be hunted out. When I get tired of hunting same parks I research other areas and go on a road trip. I love to hunt new (old) places (new to me anyway). I live in an area where there are a lot of hunters so for best results I find places away from here and try my luck there. I usually drive 1 to 2 hours away and my last three hunts I have found wheats,silver,CW relics and many other good finds. Research is the key as I try to find places that are old enough to have silver. That is if you want to find older items. All parks will have the usual clad. Again research is the key. Just my thoughts but I thought I would share.
 
More often than not my hunting is in the morning before going to work, so I need to stay in the area. Sadly, I dont think older coins are going to happen around me, but even clad hunting is getting spares. Started hunter just after the 4th of July and my total is just now brekaing 5 bucks.
 
one of my best clad days was hunting an old football field. Three of use found over 300 coins in one day and most were dimes and quarters. That same day I also found a wedding band. Only silver was 40's quarter.
 
wish I had that kinda luck. Course, wish we had "old" things in this town.. They tore down a couple schools, and within 2 months had removed all the top soil 15" down and built two new buildings on top of it. All that possible coinage and other goodies destroyed. Course, this was also before I started metal detecting, but thats not the point. LOL, in my town, things dont turn old and stay around, :(
 
....MEZREIN.......It is hard for me to believe that there is no old homes or old homesites in your town or some of your neighboring towns.......hunting parks is just the easy way out........most of the untouched sites or some say virgin sites or are on private property.........it could be just as easy as finding an old neighborhood and parking the car and just cold knocking on doors........some refrain from doing this ......but even if the rejection is 10 to 1.....that is still one plus site that you wouldn't have had before.......if the site is really juicy.......I may offer the homeowner a 50/50 split or some even offer like a real Silver dollar to hunt the site ......that may be the opener to get you into some really hot spots......also if you do get into a private site.....pay attention to the neighbors that will want to know what you are doing........that way getting into one site becomes like the domino effect........ANOTHER OPTION FOR FINDING SITES.....put an ad in your local paper and offer to FIND LOST JEWELRY/RINGS FOR A FEE.....once you get some phone calls about hunting for lost rings....you can waive the fee and just ask to be able to keep anything else that is found.......if your mom is still alive.....ask her friends if you can hunt their yards......also just because the old home is gone does not mean that the site has lost its valuable........do some research and even if the old Saloon or general store or carnival site is long gone .......the old coins will still be there.......some of the newer detectors will find coins deep and next to iron trash........GOOD LUCK......JOE
 
....MEZREIN......I don't mean to be harsh but maybe you need to get your own detector......if money is an issue........I have found lots of good used detectors on Feebay..........I have a few that was less than $100.00......new...... expect to spend at least $212.00 or so........I would shop for a more well known name brand such as Garrett or Whites ....they both have very good reputations in their service departments......you seem to be shy such as hunting in the water......only hunt the shoreline or only go in a foot deep or so......or shy asking for permission....to be successful....you need to get over this......the hardest part is the first time.......the worst that can happen is being cursed out.....that happens at work......LOL.....also you said that the top soil from the schools was removed down to 15"..........find out where this soil was taken to..........I have some friends who would watch the construction in progress......and would follow the dump trucks to see where they was taking all of the old topsoil...................most construction workers are very friendly and just offer to remove all of the broken glass and other hazardous material and keep out of the way of the heavy machinery and there is usually no problems...........GOOD LUCK........JOE
 
With 21 parks in the area , unless you are hitting all 21 twice a day , I rather doubt you are
cleaning them out . City parks tend to be "re-loaders " People are constantly visiting them ,
and losing stuff . Definitely get your own detector , upgrade to a reputable brand - put the
parks on a prioritized list- most visited to least - and cycle thru them on a not too frequent
schedule (allowing them to reload ) And if these parks are yielding lots of pull tabs and nickels,
get excited ! because that means that other detectorists in your area , are leaving the gold
rings for you . Argentium.
 
Mezrein503 said:
wish I had that kinda luck. Course, wish we had "old" things in this town.. They tore down a couple schools, and within 2 months had removed all the top soil 15" down and built two new buildings on top of it. All that possible coinage and other goodies destroyed. Course, this was also before I started metal detecting, but thats not the point. LOL, in my town, things dont turn old and stay around, :(

Give a thought to where the old soil goes. If it is topsoil it probably is going to be used as a foundation for a lawn somewhere else. Even dredge piles from ordinary river dredging can turn up interesting finds. Once met a detectorist who found an old coin purse with coins inside detecting one such pile. Construction does change things but it also disturbs the soil and creates new opportunities.
 
Eventually the parks will dry out more and more. But there will always be construction sites where old building are being torn down. Just last Saturday I uncovered 3 silver coins in a field where a new baseball field/soccer field is going in. Any time you see bulldozers, backhoes, and old dirt being moved around you have silver coin potentials.
 
I never hunt parks, well almost never I hunt private property 98% of the time. I get in the car drive around and knock doors. Once you get over the fear you'll love it. I love old farms and that is pretty much all I hunt.
 
If you live where there are parks then you live where there are houses.
Don't be afraid to ring a bell or knock on a door.
If you see a" FOR SALE BY OWNER " house call the number and ask.

"my name is-------- I have a hobby of metal detecting " are you familiar with that? " well what I like to look for is
old dog tax tags, buttons, old token , old toy cars but what I do find is a lot of pennies. I will respect the property and show you what I find.... ( the none good items of course ) Don't mention coins or jewelry..

PRIVATE PROPERTY with permission are the best
 
FIRST I AGREE YOU HAVE to get over being shy that wont work people will turn you down. Second are you searching all over the park or just in certain places? You have to go all over or at least thats what i do. Knocking on doors is where its at
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom