What's new

What to do with Clad Ikes?

Furismo

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2010
Messages
98
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
I ended up getting 1 40% out of the 67 ikes I got. Is there any reason to keep clad ikes?
 
Upvote 0
Yeah, haven't checked in a while but years ago I used to be able to order IKES. I sold them on Feebay by groups like $100 at a time. Ugly beat-up ones, I just spend them. You have to have a good amount of them to sell them. $60 might be enough. I used to sell $100 face for $115 plus shipping that they pay through contacts I made through Feebay. I didn't use Feebay directly because commissions there ensure you make nothing on them. Hey 15% percent profit isn't bad. Better than interest from the bank.
 
Awesome find on the 40% Ike, they are hard to find! :thumbsup:

Here's a list of some things to look for when you get Ikes:

  • Any with an S mint mark (proofs)
  • 40% silver (1971 to 1976, will have an S mint mark)
  • The rare 1972 Type 2 variety (here is a good link on them: http://www.supercoin.com/iketypes/)
  • 1973 P & D (lowest mintage Not Intended For Ciculation)
  • 1977 P (lowest mintage issued for circulation)

A great way to get rid of Ikes is to spend them. Use them to buy gas, lunch, etc., most people seem to love them. You could also try selling them online for a small premium, especially if they are all AU or BU.

Good luck and HH!
~Syrys
 
I personally spend 'em.....but ive heard u can get a decent profit for them on ebay :dontknow: try selling them on ebay and if u have no luck just spend 'em...good luck! also, nice score on the silver one! keep it up and hh!
 
They also make terrific paper weights, and if you fill a sock with them, dangerous weapons.
 
My friend who owns a coin shop knew that I ordered half dollars on a weekly basis. He had it setup so that if I could order a $1000 dollar bag of Ike's, he would pay me $1050 when I dropped the bag off.
No limit to the number of bags. Unfortunately, Ike dollars are not on the order sheet for my bank.. :'(

Oh well, all well that ends well.
 
If your bank won't get them for you by using some lame excuse perhaps you need to find a new bank. They can get them from the same source they get all their coins from including dollar coins and Kennedy halves. Banks sure have plenty of advertising about how wonderful they are with their customers and customer service.

I closed an account once because they would not get the presidential dollar coins for me. Said I would have to order 1000 and they might look into that when they get time. The new bank tries to please me the customer---imagine that! I use the dollar coins for self-serve retail checkout stations, parking meters, newer vending machines, and tips.
 
Can large dollar coins (Ikes) be ordered by box? If so, $500 or $1000? Would like to give that one a go myself. Clear wrapped or paper? Anyone have this experience lately?

apush :read2:
 
I cant believe I never thought of asking my bank if I could order them. :P
 
Bluegrassriver said:
I closed an account once because they would not get the presidential dollar coins for me. Said I would have to order 1000 and they might look into that when they get time. The new bank tries to please me the customer---imagine that! I use the dollar coins for self-serve retail checkout stations, parking meters, newer vending machines, and tips.

Do you know you can order the Presidential $1 coins directly from the mint at face value? Looks like the minimum order is $250.
 
Called two banks today about ordering Ike dollars. The first banks said they can only order mixed boxes/bags of dollar coins. The second bank said they cant order them.
 
I currently have my first "lot of 100" Ikes on ebay. Wish me luck.
 
I sell my Ikes on Craigslist for between $1.20 and $1.25 each in lots of 10 or more. Sold two lots of 100 each. No fees involved ! Also this helps buy gas for road trips. HH

FL Junkman
 
FL Junkman said:
I sell my Ikes on Craigslist for between $1.20 and $1.25 each in lots of 10 or more. Sold two lots of 100 each. No fees involved ! Also this helps buy gas for road trips. HH

FL Junkman
Hope you aren't listing 'em as "silver dollars", ha! I've checked into several ads locally by people commanding good money for their silver dollars, finding out they are clad Ikes. Frustrating.
 
jerseyben said:
I currently have my first "lot of 100" Ikes on ebay. Wish me luck.
did it sell? for how much? because i'd like to do the same thing myself...
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
WOW!!! Just saw your ad ...I didn't think there was a market for them,and a few other ad's are thru the roof! Guess I won't be setting mine into the wild now!
 
blkcwbyhat said:
WOW!!! Just saw your ad ...I didn't think there was a market for them,and a few other ad's are thru the roof! Guess I won't be setting mine into the wild now!

I have been watching auctions for clad Ikes since a few weeks before Christmas. It seems thats when people were getting crazy money for them like $175-200 for 100 (I guess stocking stuffers). Now I would be happy to get the minimum bid of $124 since I think the demand has died down.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom