What's new

What to look for when hunting old towns??

saltfisher

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2009
Messages
82
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a small town of PA, with a population of maybe 1000. I went to the town library and got some books on the history of my town. The town was founded in 1731 and it has old pictures from the 1800's of the town, and all kinds of info. Im new to MD'ing and wanted to know what I should be looking for, for possable honey holes? I know back in the 1800's when there were no cars, there were trollys running through the town. You can still see imprints on some of the roads here where the tracks were, or where they were covered. maybe look in the book and try and find meeting spots back then? Or gatherings? Trouble with that is within the past 40 years someone may have already went over those areas. I dont think anyone in my town does MD'ing. or hasnt in many years.

Thanks
 
Dosn't matter how many went over a spot there are always things that were missed.

And Newer Detectors do better then Old detectors.
 
First thing I'd look for is a good coil for your detector. Being that old, the town's coins will probably be pretty deep. Then find an old map. Was there just one road running through the town in those days? Then I would start there, and at the trolly stops too. Where was the main store, the post office, the church? Where did folks go for picnics, ball games. You get the idea. :thumbsup:
 
The "grove" as we call it was and still is the towns picnic area. Its always been. The baseball field from the 1800's is still the ballfield to this day. So those are the easy spots to pick out. I only have a ACE 250 which is known for not going very deep, but is a coin monster. Pretty much anything shallower then 6-8" the ACE should be able o pick up. Im thinking of getting a better coil, but dont know what to get to get more depth.
 
saltfisher said:
The "grove" as we call it was and still is the towns picnic area. Its always been. The baseball field from the 1800's is still the ballfield to this day. So those are the easy spots to pick out. I only have a ACE 250 which is known for not going very deep, but is a coin monster. Pretty much anything shallower then 6-8" the ACE should be able o pick up. Im thinking of getting a better coil, but dont know what to get to get more depth.

I'd wager the 250 Will Beat the top of the line
detectors from the 70's & Match anything from the 80's & early 90's

the biggest improvements didn't realy happen till
the late 90's
 
Well we live 1/2 mile away so will do alot of hunting around those areas. My dad just got a whites prism 4 so maybe that will go deeper?
 
Check to see if any of the Sanborn maps have any good stuff on your town...or Penn Pilot which has aerial photos from the 1930's. Penn Pilot is sponsered by Penn State I think. You can download and save the images to look over later...just takes some practice.

I hear lots of good stuff about the ace here....maybe a bigger coil will get you deeper...thats what I hear anyhow.

Al
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom