What's new

What tumbler do you prefer?? For cleaning large amounts of clad..

That homemade tumbler is so cool. Can't wait to get home and start building mine. I have an old drill just perfect for the job. Thanks for the idea and the pics.
 
Don't use the grit!!! Save it for the stones you will do one day like Burdie & me...

I use grit, Cerium oxide to be exact. It gives the best shine I've seen. (I also don't tumble to many stones at the moment)
It's hard to get fine sand I'm going to try -100 mesh sand some day.
I only use it because I'm getting it cheap...Good contacts. :thumbsup:
 
I had a similar one using the drill but I never could figure out what to use as the canister. So, you just hot glued it to a chunk of wood and put a screw thru it to hold in the drill bit slot? Does yours wobble like crazy????
 
Why tumble, let your bank do it. I asked a while back about getting my bank to roll my coins. Answer sure no problem. Mentioned I would bring them in when I got done tumbling them. The bank guy said no need to tumble, just rinse them and bring them in. As long as they are whole, not corroded, and identifiable, they would take them.

Moral of the story, It always pays to ask!

Ed D.
 
SC_hunter said:
I had a similar one using the drill but I never could figure out what to use as the canister. So, you just hot glued it to a chunk of wood and put a screw thru it to hold in the drill bit slot? Does yours wobble like crazy????

Sorry for the delay - I just saw your post.

I ran a bolt through the center of a block of wood & then hot glued the bottle to the center of the block.

Rough up the outside bottom of the bottle a little so the glue has a better place to grip, then hot glue it. Do your best to get it centered, but you won't get it perfect & there will be some slight wobbling. The drill is tilted up to keep the coins in the bottom of the bottle. That keeps the weight down by the base and stresses the glue joint less. If it falls off, just add more glue. It's best to use a bottle that's not round so the coins don't just slide around without actually tumbling.

Born2Dtect said:
Why tumble, let your bank do it. I asked a while back about getting my bank to roll my coins. Answer sure no problem. Mentioned I would bring them in when I got done tumbling them. The bank guy said no need to tumble, just rinse them and bring them in. As long as they are whole, not corroded, and identifiable, they would take them.

Moral of the story, It always pays to ask!

Ed D.

It's great that the bank doesn't need them clean. I accumulate a bunch before I ever turn them in & they are real grungy, so I like to get them clean for me. That way I don't have a bunch of dirty coins laying around and I don't get dirty every time I touch them.
 
kimsdad,

I see you have a little "MacGyver?" in you. Looks like something I would do.

Ed D.
 
Thanks Ed. I'm not sure if it's McGyver or Rube Goldberg...

Anything to save a buck - more $$ for detectors!!! ;D

Neil
 
Congrats.

That's the ugliest tumbler I've ever seen! I'm gonna try to make an uglier one now :icon_jokercolor:
Thanks for the idea.
Mike
 
I have the single tumbler from Harbor Freight and it does the job for me.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom