What would be the value of a barge load of imported Italian Marble?

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A maintenance man related a story to me about a millionaire who was building a 26 room mansion on a lake shore in 1925. Naturally there were no surfaced roads and the railroad hadn't reached his area yet so the only means to get the marble to the homesite was by water. Marble was transported by rail to the boat yard and the barge filled with enough marble to finish the interior of the house. Somewhere between Point A and Point B, the barge overloaded sank to the bottom of the lake into 35 foot of water. There were no divers in the area for salvage so another load of marble was secured and sent to the homesite to complete the building of the mansion that still stands to this day.
One source told me that if the grade of Italian Marble was extinct that it would be very valuable. What are your observations?
Question: Would side scan sonar be able to pick this wreck site up? The area of deep water is small actually a Koalin Clay Dredge Mine Site from the 1890's. I checked the local newspaper archives but found nothing of the sinking. Maybe it was never reported to the newspaper. I don't think sheets of marble would sink very far into the mud.
The Maintenance Man received the information from the grand daughter of the owner who constructed the mansion who has since passed away.
Natuarally I'm leaving out all the important details like "Where" but as in any Treasure Site, this one is mine. ;D
Anybody got a side scan sonar and a boat to conduct a GPS sweep? I tried probing with a long metal probe but it was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Harry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread