What's new

What would you call this?

Arkansaw

Full Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2018
Messages
205
Reaction score
237
Golden Thread
0
Location
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544821449.209234.webp
 
Upvote 0
Chert,

Sorry thought I was in the rock ID forums :laughing7:
 
A fingernail remover. Ouch!
 
Looks like a core.
 
I'd say tested and discarded nodule first, maybe a core second. Gary
 
You don’t think this was a tool? I’ve got several ones that are similar
 
The first one has patina the others not so much and look fresh. If you have ever skinned/cleaned a hide off an animal that first tool would be ideal.
 
The first one has patina the others not so much and look fresh. If you have ever skinned/cleaned a hide off an animal that first tool would be ideal.

How long do you think it takes a patina to form? 500 years? Longer? Does it form faster when it’s buried compared to laying on surface? I think these are all just quick tools that are tossed after one use.
 
I’ve always called them choppers. They fit so perfectly in my hand and the flake pattern is just perfect for that use. I’m headed back to my spot right now and I guarantee I’ll find another one.
 
Those are interesting. Are you finding them all by themselves or is there other stuff associated with them?
 
Those are interesting. Are you finding them all by themselves or is there other stuff associated with them?
These were all found on the same site within 20 ft of each other. 3 came from same spot around old oak tree about 4-6 inches in soil. I’ve found a couple points and loads of broken blades in this same hole.
 
I think there’s way too many situations to get an accurate timeline for patina , I have archaic points that look like they were made yesterday seems like clay banks preserve them well as well as sand surprisingly but once they make it too the river the patina starts to build up
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom