What would you do with these bike parts?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I bought an antique bicycle parts bin at a local estate sale recently.

I was surprised to find the drawers were still pretty full of vintage bike parts. I believe that piecing these parts out could pay off handsomely.

I have two problems:

1. I don't know what these parts fit. Anyone know of a website that might have an parts interchange list posted? Yeah, I know it is a Schwinn hub spline, but what does it fit?

2. Some of the parts have minor surface rust, especially on the unplated parts. I have gobs of bearing sets, and these have minor rust on the retainer cups. This super minor rust will have no effect on the function, but I'm afraid that any rust will kill the sales. Bike guys can be picky folks!!!!

A friend swears that I can soak these in some sort of enzyme based solution, and it will remove the rust completely. He says that a gallon of the solution is less than $25.

Would you spend the money, and use the rust-b-gone, AKA miracle in a bottle?

What would you do with these parts?

Advice? Suggestions? Thoughts?

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on now much you have in them I would think about doing a ebay lot...lay 'em all out and snap pictures in sections...let the bidders fiqure it out.

Another thought is research some of them (depending on how many you have) and sell the better ones individually.

I no longer clean most of what I sell on ebay...most people who buy know what they can clean and I really don't think it affects the bottom line.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Before you do anything:

Do some research. Join a bike message board. I am sure they have a "buy-sell-trade" section. Post pics of the parts you need identified on there and Im sure they will be happy to tell you what you have and how to best clean the stuff.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Wd-40 and soft cloth would be safe to remove the rust
Spray it on and let it sit for a bit and wipe off.

WD40 & 0000 steel wool for more stubborn rust (just be gentle)

I have heard that WD40 may be bad for rubber try to keep it away from grips and tires and such

Post some pics here and on some vintage bike forums maybe someone can give you an idea of value

If the parts are rare or desirable then it would make sense to sell individually
If they are only worth a few bucks a piece then sell as a lot

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you do anything:

Do some research. Join a bike message board. I am sure they have a "buy-sell-trade" section. Post pics of the parts you need identified on there and Im sure they will be happy to tell you what you have and how to best clean the stuff.
Best advice so far. Here is one such message board- The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike Wolf on American Pickers might be interested. He loves old bike parts. Don't let him lowball you.
Just call Danielle in their Iowa store. 563-265-3939

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you so much for the advice!!!!

I tried to join the CARB forum, but it rejected me as a spammer!!! I emailed them, and am still waiting to hear back.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Mike Wolf on American Pickers might be interested. He loves old bike parts. Don't let him lowball you.
Just call Danielle in their Iowa store. 563-265-3939

Great idea...but I would guess that Mike would offer $100 for the entire lot, and then flip it to another dealer for $200.

I am hoping to sell each bearing for $8-$9, and the crank set covers for $10 each. I have at least 100 bearings, and maybe 20 covers, not to mention the rest of the parts in the bins.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea...but I would guess that Mike would offer $100 for the entire lot, and then flip it to another dealer for $200.
you are probably right, I am sure he quotes a lot lower off camera. But he does have a passion for old bikes and probably has buyers. I suggest take a picture and send it to him. give him a price and "leave some meat on the bone"

I once sold some old shipwreck coins to one of the guys that "authenticates" old weapons for Rick on Pawn Stars. There is no way I would even think of offering it to him or the "old man"

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, are you certain they are antiques? What leads you to believe they are? I'm not saying that they aren't but antique in one persons eyes may not actually be antique in reality.

Can you post some photos for us?

Depending on what exactly you have, I wouldn't expect too much out of them. I buy and re-sell a lot of things and one of them is vintage bikes and bike parts. There are still a lot of new/old stock parts out there that have no rust on them and they sell for reasonable prices so when you're talking rusty parts the value starts going down. People don't want to restore their vintage bike with rusty parts. [I on the other hand prefer the rust8-)]

If you really do need to take some rust off of any parts [or anything else for that matter], I'll let you in on a little secret that I've used for beer cans since I was a little kid... Oxalic Acid Crystals aka; Wood Bleach. Give em' a soak, give it a try.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got registered, and am on my way to identifying those parts. Those guys are very good!!!!

I just saw your thread over there..I actually joined there the other day because I had an odd Schwinn that I had problems identifying... Looks like you may have some skip-tooth hubs? Those are good

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
First of all, are you certain they are antiques? What leads you to believe they are? I'm not saying that they aren't but antique in one persons eyes may not actually be antique in reality.

Can you post some photos for us?

Depending on what exactly you have, I wouldn't expect too much out of them. I buy and re-sell a lot of things and one of them is vintage bikes and bike parts. There are still a lot of new/old stock parts out there that have no rust on them and they sell for reasonable prices so when you're talking rusty parts the value starts going down. People don't want to restore their vintage bike with rusty parts. [I on the other hand prefer the rust8-)]

If you really do need to take some rust off of any parts [or anything else for that matter], I'll let you in on a little secret that I've used for beer cans since I was a little kid... Oxalic Acid Crystals aka; Wood Bleach. Give em' a soak, give it a try.

Thank you!

I really have no idea what I have. The parts list on CABE has helped a bunch.

I certainly wish that I had all pristine parts. I'd have a fat wallet if that were the case!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions