What would you do????

Cheesecake Hunk

Feb 18, 2008
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger, MineLab SE pro
This is a story that my grandfather told me a few weeks before he died about a cache of coins. Let me give you a little history. My great grand father was rich and own over 12000 acres of land. He owned many houses that he rented out or let people live in that worked on the farm. He owned several sawmills.
My grandfather told me this story that in 1921 or 1922 that his father cashed in almost all of his paper money in to coins. He said this took months to get it changed at the banks because he did not want to draw attention to him self. After he got it changed he had a pot made that would hold all the coins and the pot had a lid on it that would cover it. My grandfather said that he had about 3 acres plowed up around the house so when he buried the pot no one would see where. He said one night when everyone had gone to sleep that great grandfather had went and dug the hole and came and woke him up and he went and help him put the pot in the hole and put the coins in and sent him back to bed, then he cover it back up and grandfather said you could not tell where it was buried the next day. He told my grandfather with the crooks in the white house that he did not trust banks anymore.(Man does that have a ring to it today) My grandfather said he had forgot about the money till after my great grandfather passed away in a car wreck 40 years later. He said he told one of his brothers about it and they spent weeks digging holes all over the place where he thought it might have been buried. He said that he was a young man then 40 years passed buy between the buried and the looking part and did not remember the exact location of it. OK here is where the problems comes in to this, after great grandfather died the land was bought by the government and turned into a wildlife reserve. They lease part of it for farming and the part the coins would be on is leased buy bad people. The way I know this is my uncle and my self went to the land five years ago and was walking around looking and two trucks with four men with rifles got out and told us we were on posted land and to leave . I tried to tell them that this was my great grandfathers land at one time they said they could care less and if we knew what was good for us we should be on our way. So some one is watching the land for cars and people to get there in a matter of a few minutes after we got there. I know this story sounds untrue but after his death there was very little money had by his kids. The government stole the land for 5 cents an acre. I have seen the mineral rights to the land it is still in the family name, would this give me a leg to stand on to reclaim the coins. Bring bigger guns ? What you think or what would you do in this case?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I would force the mineral rights issue. that gives you explicit rights to access the land

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would really have to check that mineral thing.

I am pretty sure that mineral rights are NOT the same as finding coins on property that belongs to another.

With a mineral right, you do have legal access to some of the surface, but coins are not a locatable mineral.

Check with the experts. (a lawyer designed JUST for such an occasion)

B

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I most states the mineral rights give you the right to be there but only for exploration and then development. I would check the documents veryclosely, and even have a lawyer check it for sure. The wording can be tricky the government had the best writing those sales and it may be there hidden that they have the mineral rights after all. If they do not have the mineral rights for sure PM me and i will explain how you can not only get the access but then get the money...treasure trove and mineral rights are two very different animals.
Good luck no matter what!

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Cheesecake, where have you been. We have not seen you on the Louisiana site much since the Louisiana Bayou Hunt. I will private email you on your situation.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Invest the money in having a lawyer who specializes in land deeds and mineral rights to review your papers. But, DON'T TELL HIM ANYTHING ABOUT THE CACHE. Keep that info very, very close to the vest. He / she does not need to know that bit of information.

If you can legally go onto the land in support of your mineral rights, the search and testing for mineral sources can be used as cover for searching for and recovering the cache.

Before you do anything, find out just who those thugs are that ran you off of the land. Who they are and / or who they represent. Given the right circumstances, you might be able to take them out of the way in a backdoor way.

K

Kentucky Kache

It sounds like maybe others have heard the story of the coins.

Clueman

Oct 15, 2004
In many states former land owners can file a "lost property" claim allowing legal access for recovery. Consult a lawyer and tell him the TRUTH. Lies have a way of ruining things that MAY be possible.

Clueman

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
find out just who those thugs are that ran you off of the land

Find out who they are, yes.

But - let's not forget - you were trespassing.

No matter how you feel about the deal that has taken it out of your family's grasp, the land still belongs to someone else, and that's the bottom line.

So, you have to work within those guidelines. That's why I suggested a lawyer who deals specifically with those types of issues - and, of course, they are sworn to secrecy, so, its not going to get around.

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread