Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a part to a walk in refrigerator unit. It is stainless steel (non magnetic) and measures 30" X 60" X 104". Needless to say, very big and very heavy. I am in the process of removing the non-stainless metal. My quandry is whether I should go ahead and dump it with these depressed prices, or try to wait. What would you do (providing you have an area to store it)?

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New twist, I am thinking about cutting it apart, and have two flat pieces 104 inches long and two approximately 50 inches long, for easier storage and/or hauling.

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
If you're willing to sit on it, then do it. I have a bunch of crap I haven't even prepped yet just sitting there, waiting for the prices to make it worth my time.

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the way I am leaning. Even with the lower prices, I am still continuing to search and accumulate. I will go ahead and prep anything I get, set the copper, brass and aluminum aside for sale later, but still dump the tin as I get my flatbed filled up.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to collect iron, just try walking a mile or two of a railroad track. I know I found a ton of steel and iron along just a one mile abandoned line I tried to detect last year. It will take permission and sweat equity to get it out though 'cause a lot of it is really heavy. And the RR doesn't usually encourage pedestrians on the right of way. Monty

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
Monty said:
If you want to collect iron, just try walking a mile or two of a railroad track. I know I found a ton of steel and iron along just a one mile abandoned line I tried to detect last year. It will take permission and sweat equity to get it out though 'cause a lot of it is really heavy. And the RR doesn't usually encourage pedestrians on the right of way. Monty

Yea, just go ahead and do that. See how long it takes to get busted. And where are you going to sell RR iron? ???

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
silversaddle1 said:
Monty said:

Yea, just go ahead and do that. See how long it takes to get busted. And where are you going to sell RR iron? ???

Note the part I put in bold for you.
You can dump at any scrap yard that takes it.

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No yard around here will take it, so as tempting as it is to pick up some pieces of track I have seen laying around, I pass it by. One person I am picking up scrap for has a piece about 4 ft long laying around. If he wants it picked up I will take it and keep it to make an anvil out of it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghondi said:
silversaddle1 said:
Monty said:

Note the part I put in bold for you.
You can dump at any scrap yard that takes it.
:laughing7: yeah right besides the fact that Monty used to be a cop. :o

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here the city was building baseball diamonds and parking over an old rr line. The contractor was happy that people wanted the old iron and the yards were glad to get it.

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
I am saving all the copper and aluminum and stainless steel. The shredables go as soon as I have a load (the wife does not like it laying around)

goldsilverpro

May 31, 2007
I've always operated under the philosophy that the faster you turn the scrap (no matter what the market price is - it is what it is), the more deals you can make and the more deals you make, the more money you make. No one knows what the future will bring. I never liked sitting on anything.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Goldsilverpro, What are you "sitting on" as you type, (besides a chair?) :laughing9:......NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread