🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrolysis

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
I don't know if anyone has tried the "potato method" on silver yet and whether or not it would do any harm, but if you have another silver coin around to test it on, it doesn't seem to hurt copper? Might be worth investigating.

If it was me, I would start with those methods known to cause the least harm, like freezing, (I haven't researched this, but it sounds interesting). Then I'd try ultrasound with sudsy ammonia. I'm currently building a steam cleaner out of an espresso machine that I would try next in line, (I know a goldsmith/watch repair guy who made one and uses it all the time). Baking soda and a toothbrush would be my next choice.

I would save the aluminum foil / salt / water softener / hot water method, until other methods had failed. And I would try electrolysis only as a last resort, due to the pitting it could cause. My reason for holding off on electrolysis, is that it doesn't focus on transferring material from the corroded area, but from the silver itself. Or at least thats how it appears to me from what I've seen and read about it.

F.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread