how do you speed up the tarnishing process?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only thing I could think to try
would be Sunlight beating through a window.

I never tried to tarnish anything.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
ill, give that a try, reason being i made a necklace out of silver bullion, i want it to look "nice" not so bling bling

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One word-sulfur.
Weigh out approximately 11 g Sulphur powder.
measure out 1 litre of vegetable oil using a measuring cylinder.
boil a kettle full of water.
stir the sulphur and oil in beaker or jug until the sulphur dissolves as much as it can pour 250 ml of the mixture into each of four beakers (or jugs) pour 500 ml of boiling water into a beaker.
pour 500 ml of boiling water and some washing liquid into a beaker dip object in the first beaker with sulphur and oil in it for 1 minute, swirling the object
dip the same object into a beaker with the washing up water in it and swirl for 30 sec
dip the same object into the beaker with the clean boiling water in it for 1 min (approx), swirling it all the time.
The colour should come up gradually- it will change colour even after you take it out

If you can't get a hold of any sulfur powder,boil an egg and use the yolk.Place item in a baggie and leave it in the fridge for a few days.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
i was just going to ask about the sulfer, then i finished reading. so would one yolk equal about 11gms? will this process give me the orange golden tarnish or a black tarnish? ill boil the egg tonight and let it sit.
thanks for the info
chong

EANXDiver

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and BHID
Try Charmin toilet paper, wrap up (keep dry) the item and place in a closet for a month or so. Should come out nicly tarnished.

John SwFl

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sulfide yellow to rainbow.. chloride darken to black

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know for copper coins it works to rub them in a little vinegar, aka only cover them and let them sit inside for the vinegar to dry. Donno if it works for silver also. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
lol, i quit drinking :) i read frenchs mustard works pretty well

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
One word-sulfur.
Weigh out approximately 11 g Sulphur powder.
measure out 1 litre of vegetable oil using a measuring cylinder.
boil a kettle full of water.
stir the sulphur and oil in beaker or jug until the sulphur dissolves as much as it can pour 250 ml of the mixture into each of four beakers (or jugs) pour 500 ml of boiling water into a beaker.
pour 500 ml of boiling water and some washing liquid into a beaker dip object in the first beaker with sulphur and oil in it for 1 minute, swirling the object
dip the same object into a beaker with the washing up water in it and swirl for 30 sec
dip the same object into the beaker with the clean boiling water in it for 1 min (approx), swirling it all the time.
The colour should come up gradually- it will change colour even after you take it out

If you can't get a hold of any sulfur powder,boil an egg and use the yolk.Place item in a baggie and leave it in the fridge for a few days.

I agree 100%, sulphur is the answer!

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
you know i still have not gotten to do this, but it is on my list 4 next week. if someone can just remind me, lol

Ammietuar

Sep 18, 2005
Suffolk UK
Detector(s) used
MXT/PI Pro/Garrett GS
I agree on the sulphur. Once at my grandparents farm in rural Ohio I washed my hands in their sink, almost instantaneously my silver ring turned a very beautiful pearly black. Their well water had always had enough sulphur in it to make every thing smell like half rotten eggs. Their neighbors had solved this by one of those fancy filtration systems, but my grandparents had gotten used to the sulphur in their water and didn't feel the need to get a filter. Its too bad the tarnish wore off within a few days of me just wearing the ring, I really liked the color.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
Back in my day you could speed up the tarnishing process by getting her drunk first. :wink:

Darn forgot to mention that, that is maybe even 200% right!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions