Whats a good age to start a kid detecting?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What's a good age to start a kid detecting?

I have a 5-1/2 year old and she thinks I'm cool still. That ain't going to last long so I want to get her interested in detecting sooner than later. Question is what age, from those experienced, is a good age to start them on their own machine. I'm more interested in ages than actual machines at this time.

Thanks and happy hunting

Steve

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was gonna say,
"Way to go, get a kid started as soon as they can walk, hold, and swing, them little boogers gotta earn their keep, too...."! :laughing7: (ok, my Mom was stringing tobacco at 3 yrs old, for 2 pennies a day.... :BangHead:).

I would believe it is when they have an interests and appreciation for what they are doing. The treasure hunt, being in nature, finding cool stuffs, history, hanging with Dad, etc.....
While at 5 yrs old, she may not have a true appreciation of pulling a 1 carat platinum ring outta the ground, she may appreciate more the toys in the tot lot she finds. By the time she is 12 or a little older, and understands the value of a dollar, she will appreciate more, that big platinum ring. You may have to "seed" a few finds for her.
She may be big in to history, show her how to find "real history".
The "TIME" together is what is important, as those will be something, no one will ever be able to rob her of, and she will love and cherish you, for loving and taking time, just for HER. (from a daughter whose Dad took me everywhere with him).

If she'd rather be having high tea with her dolly's and stuffed animals, you'd probably have to take them detecting with ya'll, lol. Nothing you can do, can MAKE someone interested in something, they are not interested in (usually), just keep provoking her till you find things that work.
So, good luck with keeping her sponging up, the good in life!

disclaimer, I'm not really experienced, in anything, sorry..... :laughing7:

Last edited:

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a Machine may be a bit much for her. But this is what I did.
I took my Granddaughter with me when she was about 5. I buried old coins, costume Jewelry Tin Boxes ect. and we went around to where I buried them, She loved it. This also held her attention.
Now we go together and we really search for old or new Coins she is 9. The machine is a little heavy so I find the coins and she digs and uses the Carrot to find the coins. Great bond we have together.
Toolman Butch

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still a kid and I started at 55. :tongue3:

I think 5 1/2 is a good time to start, just don't expect them to hunt more than 15 to 30 minutes at a time. The attention span of a youngster is not very conducive for marathon hunts. Best of luck, hope she enjoys it as much as you do.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the kid is old enough to want to go detect with you then let her! Let her help dig targets, If she is able to swing a light-weight machine like the Compadre, get her one. She won't want to go detecting with you forever, probably around 10-12 she'll think it's not cool any more but will always have the memories.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most machines might be too heavy but a pinpointer wouldn't be. Give her the job of helping by finding the target in the hole. I am sure she will be thrilled by this.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i buried a handful of quarters last summer in our front yard for my 5yr old granddaughter to find.
she loved it!! she will be tagging along on several hunts this coming spring waving her own machine.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wanted to add that my 18 year old daughter (our baby) spent the day with me yesterday digging.
she found several items and has started planning our next hunt

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering why it so long for your daughter to get interesting in treasure hunting. At her age, she is old enough to buy her own detector. But to answer to # 1, take the children who can walk with you including beaches where it is easy digging or just kick the sand to find the coins, take them on beaches in the summer where a lot of coins are lost everyday. Let them use your detector, to save money in case they lose interesting, or purchase a detector that is low weight, and not too expenses, or as many members have more then one detector, let them use one of yours. I am sure that children who are able to walk enjoy finding coins and jewel, and show their friends and classmates their finds. Good hunting to all, and good luck.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what i'm saying Samual is. at age 18 she is still wanting to hang out with dad and get dirty.

do you tend to over think everything?

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure when children who enjoy treasure hunting with their parents, and that when they get a car and a driving licence. They will tell you it was nice going treasure hunting with you, now you are on your own, and your parents cannot depend on children for finding buried treasures and single coins and jewels for them. Then daily everyday they show you their finds, which are more then yours. Then you may be upset that you got them started in treasure hunting. You would really be shock if they come home with buried treasures worth millions of dollars. Make sure that you are in their will. I hope that all members enjoy my great interesting comments pertaining to treasure hunting and my funny comments. Good luck and good hunting to our young treasure hunters. Have them be members because it will be interesting in reading their comments.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Four - Six years old, with a Brand New Tesoro Compadre!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what i'm saying Samual is. at age 18 she is still wanting to hang out with dad and get dirty.

do you tend to over think everything?
All 18 years old are adult and do not want to hang around dear old daddy and get their hands dirty. Do you tend to ask me if I over think everything to upset me? Which you did. That is not nice, and I will complaint to Treasure_Hunter and Jeff of Pa. I am a senior with serious mental and emotional problems and take meds for them. I be grateful that members including yourself do not upset me. To answer your question: I may over think what I am going to eat for three meals, what time to get up and go to bed, what girlfriends to date every night. What TV shows to watch everyday. But to your question: I am very intelligence, graduated from grade school, high school, and from HCC in Bridgeport, Ct major in Accounting, been a treasure hunter since 1964, retired, get upset and my mental problems get worst with I get insulted and harass here and in my personnel life, when people believe that I am stupid. Be intelligence, I do not need a lot of time to over thing what members comments are, and I instancing knows what my responses are, and my responses to comments like yours that I can make fun of and writing funny comments that are enjoy by all members including you. I receive daily LIKE comments to my great interesting comments and jokes. I am retired, meaning I have no jobs and have a lot of time writing comments that I hope to educate people on treasure hunting and on life, and make members lives better with my funny comments and jokes. I wish all members including you, in writing funny comments to make all members lives better, and now in many states including Connecticut, it is too cold to search for single coins and buried treasure. I am deeply grateful to you and other member for information for stories to find treasures in Connecticut and how to better research, and better ways to improve how to learn how to use my Minelab 705 detector. I am here to make friends, learn more about treasures and give information on members questions and problems. You can always can sent me private messages for information and any complaints about my great interesting comments and jokes. Same goes for other members, sent private messages to me, Treasure_Hunter and Jeff of Pa., and to my cat Tippy, who will response to your comments and complaints. I will response to comments that are needed my comments and to all comments address to me and or about my comments. Good luck and good hunting. I hope that all members enjoy this and other my comments.

Whitesmxt66

Dec 29, 2011
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, really want the MXT though.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought my twin boy and girl, age 6 1/2 their first metal detectors for Christmas. They understand they can find pennies with Dad's, and somehow they end up with all my change a ways so figured make them work for it. Bought them two of the youth Bounty hunters, it extends out to 27" figured it would last them a couple years. Start them young! Good luck.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four - Six years old, with a Brand New Tesoro Compadre!

I have to disagree with my good friend, but at that age, they may get tire within a hour and do not like digging in dirt. Beaches are great since there little digging is needed when you can kick the sand. It is not good to purchase children at these ages a new detector when they may lose interest. If you have more then one detector, then let the children use it near you so nobody can steal it. I would like Terry adopt me, as I would request for Christmas a new Tesoro detector. Terry promise to visit me, hopefully before the end of this year.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought my twin boy and girl, age 6 1/2 their first metal detectors for Christmas. They understand they can find pennies with Dad's, and somehow they end up with all my change a ways so figured make them work for it. Bought them two of the youth Bounty hunters, it extends out to 27" figured it would last them a couple years. Start them young! Good luck.
Do not be upset if they find more then you. Good luck to them.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most machines might be too heavy but a pinpointer wouldn't be. Give her the job of helping by finding the target in the hole. I am sure she will be thrilled by this.
I agree with you my friend. Let them use a extra detector that you may have, so you do not have to waste money on buying a detector if they stop be interesting in treasure hunting. It is always good to read your great interesting comments.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try the Matchbox Treasure Truck--I got one for my boy this Christmas. Made by Matchbox - its good size and has a tilt down coil on the front...Found it at toys r us! I waved my ring in front and it goes off about 10 to 12 inches away!! Maybe he can use it when we go to the beach this next Augest....Cost 25-35 bucks. I think its a great toy for a kid!!!!!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I admire all of the gumption that you guys have in responding to this post, y'all got it wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions