What's new

Whats Everyones experience with Quarters?

Ryedale

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
60
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
What's Everyones experience with Quarters?

Hello All,

Just wondering with this CRH, what everyones personal experience with quarters has been. I have access to perhaps a steady supply, and of course there are many more quarters turned naturally than the halves. The halves seem to be the "sure thing" but getting them sure seems like work.

Thanks for any input. Ryedale
 
Upvote 0
Re: What's Everyones experience with Quarters?

My experiences haven't been too good. I find about one silver quarter every $2000, but I haven't searched many quarters overall, so my numbers may be skewed. The keeper rate is too low for my taste, so I don't search them much anymore. At least they're a fast search. Not interested in errors or state quarters.

If one has a steady supply, and finds a way to make it worth the time, I'd say go for it.

Getting halves isn't too difficult for me, but it's hit or miss, and I understand that others don't always have a good supply.

Anymore, I spend my CRHing cash on halves, pennies, and the occasional roll of nickels. Dimes every so often for a change of pace.

And welcome to TNet, Ryedale! Your machine is my new favorite toy!
 
Re: What's Everyones experience with Quarters?

Ive searched a bag and came up with not a one.
Ive only Ever found 5 in my life.

Welcome ryedale,

Happy Hunting,
CC
 
Re: What's Everyones experience with Quarters?

Welcome. If you're looking for profit ... don't bother. I've searched 105,680 and found 11 US silver quarters and 1 Canadian silver quarter. About half of the US quarters have been 1964's. Finding a silver quarter is a great thrill though. I highly prize the handful of silver in my quarter album ... there was a lot of work involved.

Brian
 
Re: What's Everyones experience with Quarters?

Quarters is probably the worst denomination to choose. If you want to find the elusive silver in a denomination other than halves, dimes is probably your best choice. The quarters are extremely few and far between.
 
Re: What's Everyones experience with Quarters?

Thanks for the feedback, I searched my first bag of Halves yesterday, Found the following, Note this bag came directly off a lobby sorter/counter redemption machine.
$1000

1 1964
5 40%
12 2 dollar Canadian "toonies"
7 bent pennies,
2 bent dime
2 bent quarters
1 SBA
1 Sakajawea
1 bent nickel
about a dozen junky foreign coins, (so far of low value) Mexico, GB, China<
Paper clip (large)
Desk drawer key
button
mason pin
2 split washers
1 WWJD coin (what would Jesus do)
and last but not least
2 large guitar picks.

It was fun, seems the Halve bag is also the junk bin. Perfect spot for treasures though Gotta go. Ryedale


an amazing array of junk including paper clip,
 
Re: What's Everyones experience with Quarters?

Welcome Ryedale. I had a bag and I also got all kinds of "treasure" other than the halves. Even a guitar pick (pictures below). I was looking at your penny sorter on Youtube. Quite the little contraption. I was just curious how it works. How about the short version in laymans terms. Sorts by weight, metal composition? If it is a trade secret I can understand.
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_012.webp
    ScreenHunter_012.webp
    53 KB · Views: 267
  • ScreenHunter_013.webp
    ScreenHunter_013.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 270
Re: What's Everyones experience with Quarters?

Ryedale said:
what everyones personal experience with quarters has been.

Welcome to the board. I have not had great luck either with quarters. A teller recently saved 13 for me, I spotted 2 in a tellers tray and one in a roll a couple of weeks ago. Silver quarters are so easy to spot and so many people use them most got sucked out years ago. I think those that are found now were probably just recently released into the wild to be quickly caught.

P.S. hope you didn't have to pay 50 cents for each of those lower value rejects. >:(
 
Re: What's Everyones experience with Quarters?

cyberdan said:
Ryedale said:
what everyones personal experience with quarters has been.



P.S. hope you didn't have to pay 50 cents for each of those lower value rejects. >:(
The bag I got was short. If you look at the junk pile and other coins, count them as halves, that's how much short I was. I think each of those counted as a half. I did get a LOT of silver so it made up for it.
 
Re: What's Everyones experience with Quarters?

Thanks to all for the welcome,

I'm going to lay low on the Coin Sorter issue. Number one I'm not here to advertise the machine, and I'm sure it's not allowed. I don't intend to divulge all secrets about it although there are few now. Not trying to be rude, but more out of respect to those who have paid for one. If they want to tell you all about it, that's out of my control. You can PM me or contact me through my website if you have specific questions.
Why am I here? I like this site as it is still part of my "recreation". My entertainment is also my "business" I am an industrial refrigeration journeyman by trade, and the sorters are my side job. So I come here, and a few other sites to learn, and relax. I love coin roll hunting in particular, and essentially that is what my business has turned into, an automatic coin roll hunter.
I also have a whites MXT and am still learning (after 2 years now) what it's telling me. I have found coins but not silver yet. The easiest way to search for silver in my opinion is to search halves. Think how long some metal detectorist search to find that first coin. That said, I think the possibilities of finding something great is better metal detecting.
This week was my first bag of halves, and I'm sure it was probably short, as those metal things in the bag counted as "halves" when they went by the internal machine sensor/counter for the bank. I have tried other things such as dimes and nickels, but from what you guys say, I may pass on the quarters. I'm an experimenter by nature, so the count being short is OK. Finding silver is the biggest thrill I have experienced in coin collecting.
I wont turn down a bag, but I may just order boxes like most of you do, at least you are getting the correct count. There are always expenses with any activity or hobby, I wish I had back half the money I have spent on fishing, hunting, cars, motorcycles, etc, etc. Those "experiences" are a lot of pay up front, and you hold nothing, or at least a hugely depreciated machine when done (for most people). At least for our expenses in coin hoarding/collecting, we have something somewhat tangible, and liquid with respect to resale and money recovery. Biggest thing about coins is learning and teaching to others, lots of history and lots to learn about economics.
Thanks again to all who responded. Ryedale
 
Re: What's Everyones experience with Quarters?

Hey You Profited Pretty Nicely there,
12 toonies

Ive Only Found one In and it was in a box.
with the Canada Dollar above the usa dollar..

Happy Hunting,
CC

P.s. Thanks for the great Machine!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom