What's happening to the prices for raw placer/nuggets?

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone --

I was checking out possible ways and places to sell nuggets found with my detector, and have been watching a few eBay sales to get an idea of what the current market is supporting. I thought the general idea was spot + a premium for nuggets, based upon size and unusual shape...however, the recent auctions are closing for prices under spot, with free shipping to boot -- even on larger pieces! The same goes for small baggies of finer placer material. There's certainly a lot of gold moving on eBay, seems like a couple sellers are selling their findings from dredging in Alaska.

I also noticed that the "buy-it-now" auctions are listed with spot + premium prices, but those auctions just sit with no takers.

What's up with that? Is there perhaps a better way to get a higher price? I don't know how much of a cut you'd have to give a refiner these days, but the way things look on eBay, I'm not sure there's much difference any longer. (Maybe refiners make up the bulk of gold purchasers online?)

Thanks for your input!

Upvote 0

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold has be static or trending down in the gold market for several months now. Hold your nuggets till the market starts moving up again. Always sell in a rising market.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold has be static or trending down in the gold market for several months now. Hold your nuggets till the market starts moving up again. Always sell in a rising market.

??? ?? ???

Gold is up over 25% this year.

au2016.gif

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if your paying spot for placer you are already paying a premium. Every thing on ebay is over spot. A 2.29gram nugget selling at 131.00 buy it now is quite the premium.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I laugh at what some call a "nugget." If it isn't four-grams or better it's a "picker" in my book. :occasion14:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry....
Well I guess that for those that have never seen a REAL nugget, what we consider as only a picker would be huge to their mind Terry. Now I wouldn't say that a weight of 4 grams is required, but it should at least be large enough to be used in a nice piece of jewelry on its own. (And I don't mean tiny little ear rings here either)

Bruce.....
As to the price for raw placer gold, that is going to vary quite a bit from place to place. In my experience the color can give you an idea as to the makeup of the nuggets. Bright buttery yellow is a good sign of a higher silver content where darker colors usually indicates a higher copper content. The actual ratio of gold to other metals has to be taken into account when buying and selling. Most jewelers that make nugget jewelry are willing to give you the best prices for nuggets that they can use in their work and will often pay well above spot prices for nuggets with a lot of character. I'm lucky in that I've got an old friend (40+ years) whose wife owns a shop that does custom work. We get together from time to time and haggle on the prices for each nugget individually and we all walk away happy, well fed and more than slightly inebriated. I've still got a couple of nuggets that have so much character that they were willing to give me double spot price but I couldn't stand the thought of giving up such nice pieces. They've become something of a running joke between us over the years as they still try to talk me out of them whenever we get together.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
24K spot $1333 / 31g = $43 per gram
natural gold is 18K (75%) to 22K (91.7%),
melt price = +/- = $35 per gram
since everything is based on the ounce price that's $1080

on eBay for one gram I would start the bidding between $48 and $52 that includes eBay's fee of 10%
you get less for lot's sell your nuggets individually
1/3g nugget start it out at $18 or 1/2g at $26 that's a premium at over $1600 an ounce
you just have to do some serious number crunching, don't put a starting price less that you'll accept.
your other options are
pawn shop = 18k scrap price plus a handling fee
refiner = $1080
buyers in gold country area 80%-90% of spot those are the "buy it now" eBay sellers for $55g
to sell as jewelry quality has to be demand, fly to Alaska or San Francisco or know someone

last nuggets I sold on eBay in February I got
0.644g $31.00
0.579g $31.00
0.509g $30.00
0.497g $30.00
0.405g $19.00
0.365g $16.50
0.394g $16.50
0.482g $23.50
price and demand are up now, unique pieces will sell for more...

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
24K spot $1333 / 31g = $43 per gram
natural gold is 18K (75%) to 22K (91.7%),
melt price = +/- = $35 per gram
since everything is based on the ounce price that's $1080

on eBay for one gram I would start the bidding between $48 and $52 that includes eBay's fee of 10%
you get less for lot's sell your nuggets individually
1/3g nugget start it out at $18 or 1/2g at $26 that's a premium at over $1600 an ounce
you just have to do some serious number crunching, don't put a starting price less that you'll accept.
your other options are
pawn shop = 18k scrap price plus a handling fee
refiner = $1080
buyers in gold country area 80%-90% of spot those are the "buy it now" eBay sellers for $55g
to sell as jewelry quality has to be demand, fly to Alaska or San Francisco or know someone

last nuggets I sold on eBay in February I got
0.644g $31.00
0.579g $31.00
0.509g $30.00
0.497g $30.00
0.405g $19.00
0.365g $16.50
0.394g $16.50
0.482g $23.50
price and demand are up now, unique pieces will sell for more...

Solid information, empirical numbers, superior post! :notworthy:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry....
Well I guess that for those that have never seen a REAL nugget, what we consider as only a picker would be huge to their mind Terry. Now I wouldn't say that a weight of 4 grams is required, but it should at least be large enough to be used in a nice piece of jewelry on its own. (And I don't mean tiny little ear rings here either)...

This is a "Nugget." Clay took this photo of me holding the Wilcox Nugget, after introducing me to the "Nugget Man" in Stanton, AZ. After holding something like that Feather River beauty, you start judging nuggets a little differently :laughing7:

Attachments

• 36ounces.jpg
    36ounces.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
B

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your helpful answers. Here are the results from just three of the many auctions I was watching last week:

2.09 gram nugget sold for $86.00 (spot = $89.71)
4 gram nugget sold for $167.71 (spot = $171.69)
7.51 gram nugget sold for $306.00 (spot = $322.34)

I'm glad that some of you are successful in getting good prices for your gold, but I'm not seeing it on eBay. And those eBay fees really eat into the margins even further...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are pulling the gold out of the ground yourself, know what you are doing, and selling directly to the public on Ebay you are probably doing fine. If you are buying and trying to resell - you are going to get eaten alive. :skullflag:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your helpful answers. Here are the results from just three of the many auctions I was watching last week:

I'm glad that some of you are successful in getting good prices for your gold, but I'm not seeing it on eBay. And those eBay fees really eat into the margins even further...
and most likely the seller is a prospector and is getting a good margin. Or paid less than 80% The majority of gold on ebay is spot or above

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

You are using the wrong pricing per gram. There are 31.1 grams per Troy ounce. Current spot price is $1333 divided by 31.1 = $42.86 per gram. It was about $42.50 when those sold.

So...

2.09 gram nugget sold for $86.00 (spot = $88.82)
4 gram nugget sold for $167.71 (spot = $170)
7.51 gram nugget sold for $306.00 (spot = $319.17)

Considering those nuggets were probably less than 90% gold those adjusted values at spot would be:

2.09 gram nugget sold for $86.00 (spot = $79.94)
4 gram nugget sold for $167.71 (spot = $153)
7.51 gram nugget sold for $306.00 (spot = $287.26)

All those nuggets sold well above current spot for gold.

The going price per nugget varies considerably but until you get above 1/2 ounce size your "collector" market is very small. Basically if you don't like the current price nuggets are bringing just wait around awhile. I guarantee the prices will go up ... or down. The only thing they won't do is stay the same. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
B

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are using the wrong pricing per gram. There are 31.1 grams per Troy ounce. Current spot price is $1333 divided by 31.1 = $42.86 per gram. It was about $42.50 when those sold.

I did a little rounding, but the figure I used was $1335 from last week, 31.1035 grams per troy. Close enough to give the general idea.

Considering those nuggets were probably less than 90% gold those adjusted values at spot would be:

2.09 gram nugget sold for $86.00 (spot = $79.94)
4 gram nugget sold for $167.71 (spot = $153)
7.51 gram nugget sold for $306.00 (spot = $287.26)

I didn't realize that nuggets were adjusted according to their purity, and have never read that anywhere. Perhaps that explains what I've noted.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from OP; I don't know how much of a cut you'd have to give a refiner these days, but the way things look on eBay, I'm not sure there's much difference any longer.
compared to the melt price if you are getting 24K spot price for 18 to 22K gold you're doing good.
you also have to consider the buyer, people are looking for the best deal they can get.
I like to search gold nuggets then change to high to low and see some nice specimens.
you can also select advanced/completed listings there are ounces and ounces being sold,
I haven't seen it like that for a while, good for the buyer good for the seller.

if you held nuggets for ten years that would be some good profit.
tny_au_en_usoz_2.gif

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is only 1 rule of commerce in anything-Worth only what a willing buyer will pay and you settle for. I only sell to jewelers who produce fine quality nugget inlaid style jewelry. They are making a huge profit and have historically paid a premium for good quality,high karat gold. Your public sales are TAXABLE 100% and by online sales you have paid paypal etc + related costs and exposed yourself to tax liabilities and evasion for not reporting. Now the IRS even wants taxes on garage sales, selling your old clunker omg taxed now , swap meet they come around with envelopes for your taxes sic sic sic...John

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here in Ca the gold is hi k. 92% maybe. It can be substantially less. 60% gold nuggets could be $25/gram.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is only 1 rule of commerce in anything-Worth only what a willing buyer will pay and you settle for. I only sell to jewelers who produce fine quality nugget inlaid style jewelry. They are making a huge profit and have historically paid a premium for good quality,high karat gold. Your public sales are TAXABLE 100% and by online sales you have paid paypal etc + related costs and exposed yourself to tax liabilities and evasion for not reporting. Now the IRS even wants taxes on garage sales, selling your old clunker omg taxed now , swap meet they come around with envelopes for your taxes sic sic sic...John
Very well stated John and I couldn't agree more with your assessment. The only nuggets(or pickers) I've sold were to a jeweler and spot price had little to do with the sale. After examining what I had brought he simply asked "How much?" to which I replied; "make me an offer" and thats where we started. Ten minutes later a deal was reached that both of us were satisfied with.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold buyers who buy well over spot are at a premium, and usually expect pieces in the complete matrix or of some of the rarer crystaline shapes
https://mockingbirdgoldmine.com/store

PS I am not affiliated with this site, other than admiring the beautiful pieces Mr. Emmett recovered.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you've posted some of the most amazing outrageous righteous specimens I've seen in years. Quality always worth more as attested to by over 60 years of selling gold. Thanx for the entertainment. Minelab is selling a extremely accurate gold/silver/pt tester for a much better price than I've ever seen by the way. John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread