What's new

What's on your hip when out prospecting?

Idazona45

Greenie
Joined
Jan 28, 2026
Messages
15
Reaction score
51
Golden Thread
0
Location
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't been out in the wilds panning for gold for a bit. In Idaho, my preferred sidearm is a Springfield Armory XDM OSP Elite 3.8" 10mm with 11rds. Lots of wolves, cougars, and other threats.

20240621_201047.webp


In Arizona, with much smaller threats, I prefer my Sig P365...

IMG_20201124_171854436.webp


But also while in AZ and exploring near the Mexico border, I also have my AR-15 pistol handy for larger and multiple threats...

IMG_20210426_175212704.webp


I admit that I am a bit more paranoid and prepared than what is reasonably expected. But, you never know... LOL.

What firearms or other weapons are other prospectors carrying while out in the wilds treasure hunting?
 
LOL, I just metal detect and I'm armed all the time, detecting or not, I always carry one of my Springfield .45s, either the XD or XDs, on occasion I carry my Judge .45...
 
Depends on where I am. In the Arizona desert I carry a .357 but in New York, I carry something more concealable.
 

Attachments

  • AGATRIPPhotos 080.webp
    AGATRIPPhotos 080.webp
    155.6 KB · Views: 75
  • HistoryChanShoot31012 273.webp
    HistoryChanShoot31012 273.webp
    1 MB · Views: 82
  • zona 001.webp
    zona 001.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 92
I don't detect but I carry a 9mm Diamondback. Very small, easy to conceal. I sawxa guy in Idaho carrying a 10mm. Very powerful round.
A 9mm Diamondback? Why would they steal the name of the real diamondback? That’s pretty cheesy if you ask me. I’m actually surprised Colt would let them use that trade name.
IMG_2519.webp
 
Kimber .45 and my KelTec 12 gauge are always with me. I used to open carry my Super Blackhawk but a 10 1/2 " barrel 44 magnum is just too damn heavy !

independence_1911_right.webp



KSG_right_DSC2880.webp
 
Always wearing even in the house, habit. Usually the Glock 27 when detecting. If going to "a" city I'll bump up to the Glock 29 or the Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45 Auto. I feel undressed if unarmed.
 
A 9mm Diamondback? Why would they steal the name of the real diamondback? That’s pretty cheesy if you ask me. I’m actually surprised Colt would let them use that trade name.View attachment 2243662
Diamondback started out as an Airboat manufacturer in Cocoa, Florida and had a great reputation for quality airboats. They began years ago branching out into firearms and their quality is good there as well. I guess they just kept their name and added it to their firearms. I don't see them as hurting Colt as they don't make revolvers. My neighbor who was an armorer in the Army works for them now that he retired from the military.
 
I normally carry one of these while detecting in the woods. My Taurus G2 in 9MM everywhere else.

2009-06-27 18-15-23 - AC270007-Resize.webp
 
I live in Florida, which is a right to carry state. But if I have to carry a firearm to go metal detecting, I would find another hobby. I had to carry a firearm for over 20 years along with the responsibility of it. I enjoy not having to worry about that any more.
 
I have twice branished my firearms, once while being attack at a stoplight in downtown Orlando, the other was while metal detecting Daytona Beach at night.

I know 3 people who were robbed while detecting, 2 detecting Miami area beaches and third at Daytona Beach, he ended up in hospital with concussion.

I never leave my house unarmed....
 
I live in Florida, which is a right to carry state. But if I have to carry a firearm to go metal detecting, I would find another hobby. I had to carry a firearm for over 20 years along with the responsibility of it. I enjoy not having to worry about that any more.
One of my permissions I've seen bear and wolf tracks. Last time there a bear just walked past me about 50 yards away. The wolves never travel alone, so always good to have some protection. As far as everywhere else, you just never know anymore.
 
I have twice branished my firearms, once while being attack at a stoplight in downtown Orlando, the other was while metal detecting Daytona Beach at night.

I know 3 people who were robbed while detecting, 2 detecting Miami area beaches and third at Daytona Beach, he ended up in hospital with concussion.

I never leave my house unarmed....
Your fortunate to be in Florida where if you have to use a weapon, you can claim stand your ground, but in states like New York and several others, even if you are legally justified, they would still charge you and put you through the ringer hoping you would cop a plea because liberals don't believe there is any reason to use a weapon unless your a criminal and then it's OK.

Funny thing is, the only times I have ever felt unsafe was twice at Daytona Beach where I was confronted by folks who just hate people with metal detectors, but fortunately I had a pretty large sand scoop and had it cocked and loaded ready to swing away.
 
Your fortunate to be in Florida where if you have to use a weapon, you can claim stand your ground, but in states like New York and several others, even if you are legally justified, they would still charge you and put you through the ringer hoping you would cop a plea because liberals don't believe there is any reason to use a weapon unless your a criminal and then it's OK.

Funny thing is, the only times I have ever felt unsafe was twice at Daytona Beach where I was confronted by folks who just hate people with metal detectors, but fortunately I had a pretty large sand scoop and had it cocked and loaded ready to swing away.
My incident at Daytona Beach was with 4 young teen agers (15-18?) who thought they could intimidate me since I was alone, it was dark but did have moon light (11:30pm) and beach was pretty empty.

I didnt pull my weapon, but I did raise my shirt exposing it and placed my hand on grip, a Springfield .45, they decided to move on quickly. I thought I would get a visit from a police officer, but none showed up.

I refuse to drive to or thru any state that does not recognized my conceal carry permit or my right to self defense.

The older I get, the less of a deterrent life in prison becomes.

I have flown with my piece in lock box on plane in my check in luggage with no issues when on vacations. I love camping and visiting National Parks and I'm always legally armed when there. I always make sure destination accepts my conceal carry permit.
 
Your fortunate to be in Florida where if you have to use a weapon, you can claim stand your ground, but in states like New York and several others, even if you are legally justified, they would still charge you and put you through the ringer hoping you would cop a plea because liberals don't believe there is any reason to use a weapon unless your a criminal and then it's OK.

Funny thing is, the only times I have ever felt unsafe was twice at Daytona Beach where I was confronted by folks who just hate people with metal detectors, but fortunately I had a pretty large sand scoop and had it cocked and loaded ready to swing away.
Please don't think Daytona Beach is a typical Florida city. It's a shithole on the beach. It's flooded with asswipes from NY & New Jersey.
 
LOL, I just metal detect and I'm armed all the time, detecting or not, I always carry one of my Springfield .45s, either the XD or XDs, on occasion I carry my Judge .45...
Been prospecting for 70+ years, I never carried. You will only get hit once and you won't see it or hear it coming.

- Geowizard
 
To each his own sir👍, I'm from the class of "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6..."
Thank you for your service, Sir!

We were in about the same time. I went in the USAF in '69 and got out in '75. Got offered a commission in '75 and declined it. The war was over.

We all have a resume. :)

I confess, I carried in Alaska. Bears don't always make rational decisions. There are unfortunately a few two legged varmints that are likewise that wander in and out. I mined placer Gold with a Bobcat loader. I was in a steel cage with a steel bucket.

I prefer a method of passive defense avoiding gun play. I maintain situational awareness using my wolf ears as needed and observing animal tracks, scat, and other signs while watching my six. There were occasional confrontations with humans. The human element is the most unpredictable. Neighbors thought I operated a "pick a part" service and would remove parts from my camp. To the natives, I was an outsider - an intruder robbing Gold from their land. I had valid mining rights, but... the community had me pegged as a claim jumper worthy of imminent capital punishment. I had a headwind no matter which way I turned. I would always talk down a heated confrontation first. In spite of my steadfast belief "frogmen" in wet suits were planning to slip out of the river, relieve me of my gold, and slip away back into the river, it never happened.

Fortunately, I never fired a shot in twelve years. :)

- Geowizard
 
Thank you for your service, Sir!

We were in about the same time. I went in the USAF in '69 and got out in '75. Got offered a commission in '75 and declined it. The war was over.

We all have a resume. :)

I confess, I carried in Alaska. Bears don't always make rational decisions. There are unfortunately a few two legged varmints that are likewise that wander in and out. I mined placer Gold with a Bobcat loader. I was in a steel cage with a steel bucket.

I prefer a method of passive defense avoiding gun play. I maintain situational awareness using my wolf ears as needed and observing animal tracks, scat, and other signs while watching my six. There were occasional confrontations with humans. The human element is the most unpredictable. Neighbors thought I operated a "pick a part" service and would remove parts from my camp. To the natives, I was an outsider - an intruder robbing Gold from their land. I had valid mining rights, but... the community had me pegged as a claim jumper worthy of imminent capital punishment. I had a headwind no matter which way I turned. I would always talk down a heated confrontation first. In spite of my steadfast belief "frogmen" in wet suits were planning to slip out of the river, relieve me of my gold, and slip away back into the river, it never happened.

Fortunately, I never fired a shot in twelve years. :)

- Geowizard

Thank you for your service sir..:icon_salut: What did you do?

I went in 1967 discharged in '71. Because of my job, training and security clearance, I was offered $20k to re-enlist, I turned it down, they countered by offering to do the re-enlistment while flying over a combat zone on B-52 in Nam to make it tax free, I still declined. (Mistake).

Their last offer was a position as a GS-11 civilian, working for NSA. I was E-4 at discharge, made E-5 but official date of stripe fell after discharge date), I didnt want to live in DC in '71 so I declined the offer and took the discharge (Major Mistake, dumbass 🤬)
 
To each his own sir👍, I'm from the class of "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6..."
That used to be my moto as well, until recent years when I have seen this country flip from supporting law enforcement to demonizing law enforcement and celebrating the criminals. Now those same 12 would find you guilty even on a righteous shoot and lock you up for the rest of your life and take everything you have and everything you will have.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom