Whats the best digging tool

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Ive got the Lesche digger. Offset double edged blade with almost razor sharp teeth on one side.....good for cutting thru small roots. I got it off of ebay...29.95 including the Cordura sheath and free shipping.

B

BIG BAD JOHN

Zeke is right. The Lesche Standard Digger is the best thing going. I've tried several different tools from big heavy knives to trowels to knock-offs of the Lesche. I couldn't belive that the Lesche could be good enough to warrant spending the extra dough. I was wrong...it is. Just wish I'd have got it first and saved all of the aggravation. Also, don't waste time with screwdrivers or other home-made coin probes. I got one from Ronnie Dugger at Dixie Metal Detectors that has a yellow plastic T-handle on top and is about 10" long. Works great and GREATLY reduces the stress on your palm and wrist, especially in hard, compacted soil. I can't remember the name of the thing, but several friends of mine have bought one after using mine and they love it. BBJ

I went and found a link to it. I think several other dealers sell it, too.

http://www.dixiemetaldetectors.com/graphics/probe-yellow-handle.jpg

O

ol ploock

Thats a neat looking little probe. I'm using a 1/4 inch titanium rod that is polished on the end, but the hard soil I was in today rendered it useless.

I'll see if the guy I buy from carries these

Thanks for the post.
Roy

F

foolserrand

Used many a handheld digger & have found the lesche to be the best. I have broken all kinds of diggers (even a couple of lesches), but the lesches last the longest & are the toughest in my opinion. I plan on buying a predator digging tool (same design as the lesche and some say just a tad better in design? ???) soon.

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
Here is an Ad description for the Hori Hori Knife. I use one and they are great.

"Made in Japan, this traditional tool was originally used for excavating prized bonsai in the mountains. Gardeners now find it indispensable for cutting, digging and scraping weeds, roots and vegetables. The large 6 1/2" x 1 3/4" blade is made of thick carbon steel and is concaved-shaped which makes it excellent for digging and prying. The end is semi-sharp, with one side of the blade bevelled for scraping and the other edge serrated for cutting anchored roots. The handle is a thick wood for a strong grip. Included is a black vinyl sheath with belt loop."

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the best! Never bend over again! Well, except maybe to pick up your find! ;D

Attachments

• groundshark28.jpg
    groundshark28.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 798

TOWcritter

BTW.....I picked this up at REI today. It works great. Nice and neat. Called ..."U-Dig-it" comes in a small pouch that fits on your belt like a knife sheath. Pops right open and out comes a stainless steel trowel that unfolds and locks into place at about 8 inches. Light weight and solid as a rock. $16 dollars and worth it.

P.S. Made in the USA!

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
I forget the exact name but I ordered a "Shark" digger. It works great and is very durable. I was looking at Lesche but the shark was cheaper...I don't think I sacrificed in quality on this one. I also put teeth and an edge on a cheap Walmart trowel, it works pretty good too but I like the rounded bottom of the Shark.

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
garden trowel with original handle cut off . 3/8 rod and 1/2 in conduit 12 in long for handle . then welded 6 in piece of 3/4 conduit for t handle . heat treated blade after cutting notches . coated handle with rubber . IT WORKS .

R

rvbvetter

Every time i read frees post, i find myself listing to starboard. STOP IT!!! Trying to get back to even keel here!

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody use the Razor Edge Gator digging tool? It's a free accessory with some machines at Kellyco. It's got a lifetime warranty on it.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Here's the best digging tool I've found. Get one of these and they'll have that sucker popped in 12-15 seconds, but you've gotta use some 20 lb test for retreival of the digger! You can carry several of these in your pouch for multiple target retreival as well! Can't beat the price, and they're easy to find around here.

Attachments

• molegod.jpg
    molegod.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 485
  • molegod.jpg
    molegod.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 388
O

Oddfello

Just got in from trying out my new Lesche digger. The ground here is still very cold and hard but the Lesche went through it very well, including a wide variety of small roots. I was able to put a pretty good amount of weight behind it without bending. I don't know if it's the best, but I would reccomend it to anyone.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to beat Lesche, they make some heavy duty diggers, and shovels! That's what the pic above in my 1st post here in this topic is. It's a 40 inch long, serrated, semi circular T handle shovel/digger that cuts through the ground, and roots like butter! You also don't have to bend/kneel to dig your target, as, it has a foot peg on the back for using your foot to push it in the ground. The shovel blade is 16 inches long (dig deep targets) and cut perfect plugs! Pry up with the handle and remove your coin, etc. and you're on your way in seconds! Built tough, and ain't goona snap like most other diggers do in time ;D

cmlmich

Dec 10, 2004
I too an looking to buy a digging tool. I found some homemade ones on Ebay that looked interesting, but have not bought yet.

Lonewolf, could you please post where I can buy one like you have and how much it costs? That looks like one that would be excellent in most types of soil.

Thanks,
Curt

F

foolserrand

cmlmich said:
I too an looking to buy a digging tool. I found some homemade ones on Ebay that looked interesting, but have not bought yet.

Lonewolf, could you please post where I can buy one like you have and how much it costs? That looks like one that would be excellent in most types of soil.

Thanks,
Curt

Thats the lesche ground shark.?
? Here is one site it can be found.... http://www.ronsdetectors.com/diggers.htm
? Heres? another site that sells some fantastic digging tools also..... http://www.predatortools.com/products.htm

Both lesche and predator tools stand behind their tools & will replace(or repair) them if they break.?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread