Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve got a handful of woodland pottery shards I’d like to get into a frame, I want to do as little as possible as far as altering them or doing anything irreversible. How do you guys get your ceramic into frames, pictures are encouraged

This is what I’ve got right now but I’d like to get them spaced out and looking good in a frame and then I can spread my arrowheads out a bit by the spaces it opens up. I’m not ready to frame those just yet
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1590254598.817105.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pottery is such odd shapes and thicknesses that I think your present display is great. I could fill 100 pigeon holes with all the stuff I have in boxes, unseen. To frame pottery, you will need a thick custom frame. Gary

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
artifacts in frames bore the hell out of me. I would see what you have as a table top...one you could open and handle your pieces from time to time.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the way I've done some. I custom made shadowbox frames w/removable backs. I used stiff insulated aluminum wire to make brackets on some and gun rack style for others.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years back I was a volunteer at a dig and was allowed to keep a handful of assorted pottery shards. What I ended up doing was simply arranging them face down in the glass side of a large picture frame, gently filling the back of the frame with cotton fiber until packed, and then closing the back. It was a pretty quick and easy way to display the artifacts that didn't involve any use of adhesives or wire that could damage the pottery.

I would discourage using this method for arrowheads or very delicate pottery, as there's always the possibility that things could slide around. But if you have a large quantity of fairly sturdy pottery, this is an efficient way of displaying it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
artifacts in frames bore the hell out of me. I would see what you have as a table top...one you could open and handle your pieces from time to time.

I’d normally agree but I need to finish a wall that I rearranged and I thought maybe some pottery would look good, I duno so much about sticking a table up there.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pottery is such odd shapes and thicknesses that I think your present display is great. I could fill 100 pigeon holes with all the stuff I have in boxes, unseen. To frame pottery, you will need a thick custom frame. Gary

Thought about making some frames out of some salvaged 150 year old flooring. That should be plenty deep.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody know if rubber cement or a dab of silicone is a reliable method?

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm tuned in. I'm thinking of ways to display my pottery. Not getting seen as it is..

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20200524_122756_resized.jpg

This is a deep frame I put together with pot shards. I had a large bag of them. Started by placing some of the better pieces on the glass and filled in behind. Just enough pressure to keep them in place once the back is on without breaking them. Although clay pots are surprisingly strong.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, I know some areas pottery is abundant but around here it’s really hard to find I’m pretty excited for the ones I’ve found. Hopefully I’ll find the time to build a frame and try something soon.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
View attachment 1836960

This is a deep frame I put together with pot shards. I had a large bag of them. Started by placing some of the better pieces on the glass and filled in behind. Just enough pressure to keep them in place once the back is on without breaking them. Although clay pots are surprisingly strong.

I would be tempted to make table tops with these as inlay...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy the shadow box frames and make them. i clean the pottery and arrange it the way I want then use hot glue on the back to hold them. The shadow boxes are at Hobby Lobby or Michaels real cheap. This is of some pottery I was given. I also frame local pieces and date them on the back and give as gifts. Showing the paddle stamped , cordage or stick incised. Sometimes I will use a satin spray poly on my local stuff to show the pattern better. Have fun

IMG_6364.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread