What's new

Whats the oldest dime you have found?

coinfinder

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
What's the oldest dime you have found?

Halves seem to be getting harder to find around here, so I have been looking through dimes. I have had pretty good luck, with 11 silver Roosevelt's in my last box. I have been amazed at the number of people finding Mercury dimes and am always on the look out for them.

I was going through a box yesterday and notices a dark sliver edge. The coin also seemed a little smaller that the other dimes. I was hopeful that I may be on to my first Mercury. I was astounded when I looked closely and saw that I was holding a 1914 D Barber dime. My first, and probably only Barber!

Has anyone else found any Barber dimes? What is the oldest dime you have found?
 
Upvote 0
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

1899 Barber dime that I got in a box last year. Oldest coin found in a box was an Italian 1867 20 Centesimi(same size as a half dollar)
HH
Rich
 
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

1876
 

Attachments

  • bail-front.webp
    bail-front.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 697
  • bail-front.webp
    bail-front.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 655
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

Ok, I am humbled! Did these coins come from roll hunting?
 
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

This year I found 2 seated liberty dimes. 1891 and date unknown (worn slick).

Last year I found 2 barber dimes.. 1910 and 1913

And although technically not a dime, my oldest coin ever found CRHing came in a bag of dimes.... a coin from way back...
Roman, Constantine the Great (320 AD minted in Siscia)
 
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

does a Half-Dime count?
if so, 1833 capped bust
 
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

1914 plain for me, but that was a while ago, then a 1917 merc- oldest coin a 1890 V nickel (all crh'ing)

HH
-GC
 
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

I found a 1907 Canadian. My oldest American would be a Mercury. My best bag ever had 29 silver dimes and 15 of those were Mercs.
 
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

my oldest is a 1916 S baber dime. also got 1896 V nickel and 1889 IH penny and 2 dateless SLQ from rolls. the OLD stuff is out there but rare. makes finding one extremely exciting :icon_thumright:
 
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

I've only searched dimes on a reasonable scale once. And I found a 1946 Roosie. Maybe I should get dimes again...
 
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

Oldest dime crh'd, 1900 Canadian this spring.
Six Barber dimes in a 12-box order.
Oldest coin 1758 Spanish silver, found in a farmyard, detecting.

ffd
 
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

The oldest dime I've found so far ... is a 1902 or 3 Barber, found metal detecting at an old
guest ranch . My oldest CRH -ing dime find is 1946 rosie. Argentium.
 
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

I just found a 1908S Barber dime last Thursday night (5/20) while detecting in front of an older, small-town post office that was getting new sod. Very exciting! A first for me! Have not found one while CRH'ing, however.
- Grizz
 
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

Well I think my oldest is almost my newest in this case 1960 Rosie. I don't think people in my area had had money before then :tongue3:
 
Re: What's the oldest dime you have found?

hmm... well, I've found a few canadian dimes from the 30's, My oldest U.S. dime this year is a 46 rosie. My oldest dime ever, I'd have to break out the collection. I know I have a bunch of mercs in there, but I've only actually found 2 of them in the wild.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom