Whats the oldest item youve ever found? Where did you find it? (State-Country)

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the oldest item you've ever found? Where did you find it? (State-Country)

I'm curious to see what everybody's oldest find has been. Post a pic if you can and tell us where it was found. (What city, state or country was it found)

Also, tell us what depth it was found and what machine was used.

My oldest find to date is a Type V buckle from 1660-1720. It was either a knee or shoe buckle. Most likely a knee buckle due to it's size. (Thanks for the ID Crusader). The buckle was found just outside of Philadelphia. It was approximately 4 inches in the ground. I was using my Minelab Sovereign GT.

Attachments

• Shoe Buckle 1.jpg
    Shoe Buckle 1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 596
  • Shoe Buckle 3.jpg
    Shoe Buckle 3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 461
  • Shoe Buckle 2.jpg
    Shoe Buckle 2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 638
  • Shoe Buckle 3.jpg
    Shoe Buckle 3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 413
  • Shoe Buckle 2.jpg
    Shoe Buckle 2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 435
  • Shoe Buckle 1.jpg
    Shoe Buckle 1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 433

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's the oldest item you've ever found? Where did you find it? (State-Country)

Metal Detecting I found an 1847 large cent last weekend in Mecklenburg County, N.C. within the Charlotte city city limits about a rocks throw from the landing strip of the airport. I've found umteen arrowheads, which were much older than that not using a metal detector.

HH,
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's the oldest item you've ever found? Where did you find it? (State-Country)

sorry... 3" and an Ace 250 set on "Coin". It said it was a quarter, and I can see that, it's about the same size.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I would say arrowheads but the oldest item I could actually date was a 1822 Large Cent.

NJ

I guess I should read a little better next time. It was found in Middlesex county NJ on private property. It was on a hill in the front of the property next to the steps down to the street at approximately 5 inches deep. Using a White's DFX and a Sunray DX-1 pinpointer. It was shortly after a rain where the ground was still damp but not muddy....my favorite conditions.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

The oldest coin I have found is an 1876 sheild nickel but a 10,000 year old wolly mammoth tooth was found by my daughter and I while looking for points after a flood here in northwest missouri. I found the coin with my ACE 250 about 5 inches deep. The mammoth tooth was sitting on a sand bar after the water dropped.

HH Charlie

Attachments

• Tooth.jpg
    Tooth.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 408
  • Paige1.jpg
    Paige1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 414
  • 1876 nickel 002 (Large).JPG
    1876 nickel 002 (Large).JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 433
  • 1876 nickel 001 (Large).JPG
    1876 nickel 001 (Large).JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 467
  • Tooth.jpg
    Tooth.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 391
  • Paige1.jpg
    Paige1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 395
  • 1876 nickel 002 (Large).JPG
    1876 nickel 002 (Large).JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 394
  • 1876 nickel 001 (Large).JPG
    1876 nickel 001 (Large).JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 393

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac

I have only been at the beach thus far with my detector, and my oldest coin was a 1942 wheat. But, I think this ring is older judging by the style. I found it in the water with my Minelab Excaliber in Virginia beach. The ring is silver, and the two stones are amethysts, and are roughly 7mmx5mm each.

Attachments

• huge silver.JPG
    huge silver.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 515
  • huge silver.JPG
    huge silver.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 388

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

I found a very late 1600's William III copper in Litchfield County CT. That's my oldest so far. No date visible though and worn almost flat.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I've found reales back to the 1760s, & a portugese copper coin that dated 175? here in central coast California. I've heard of a few people who've found coins back to the 1740s here, but that's about as old as a person can get here, seeing as how there was/were nothing but non-metal-carrying indians here prior to the early 1770s foundings of the mission chain.

The only way earlier-loss coins could be here in CA, is from the Explorer period. Ships mapped the coast, and explorations were made, but no permanent habitations till 1769 (San Diego) and 1770 (Monterey). I have heard of some pre-mission era coins found, that dated even back to the 1600s, in Santa Barbara area. They were surmised to have come from Manilla galleon traffic. The Manilla galleons were recorded to frequently stop around the channel islands area, to take on fresh water, on their return trip from the Phillipines to Mexico. Apparently the indians traded with them for trinkets and such, because coins that WAY predate Santa Barbara mission have been found at some indian village archaeological digs.

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

I've found numerous colonial perion buttons and buckles but being that I'm an amateur I can't date them.
This year I did find a 1782 1 Reale. It was out in the woods on an old cart path. Mainly it was gravel without much loam and was only down maybe 2". I knew from the sound, ID, and depth and size it was a coin but holy smokes, what a rush.

2" deep, old cross roads in the woods, July, 2008, Worcester County, MA, USA, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy. (that's as far as I know)
A Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro with a 8" BBS Coil was used.
Cheers all

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
Re: What's the oldest item you've ever found? Where did you find it? (State-Coun

besides the stupid hot rocks, the oldest things i've found are square nails... :BangHead: :mblah05: i've found them in my yard, in ri... i've found a bunch of them so i can't give an actual depth... and i found them with my titan 1000 xd.

emesis

Mar 12, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My oldest coin is an 1723 hibernia woods penny. Oldest silver is a 17?? reale.

PFP

hunterinthesky

Aug 16, 2008
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300 - DX-1 Pinpointer

1898 IH penny. Excellent detail. sold for 28 bucks.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

oldest coin was a 1733 King George II found at a very cool site in NY along the Hudson River. oldest silver was a 1788 Half Real found in Wilmington Delaware.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Greek selucid coin from about 170 BC,found in southern Utah, Kane 23

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pookie said:
kane23 said:
Greek selucid coin from about 170 BC,found in southern Utah, Kane 23
:o wow thats old!

:o wow that's ODD. My oldest "found' item that's datable is an 1888 Indian Head Penny I found less than 2 feet over from the first Barber coin I've ever found. ;D THAT was a pretty good day. Both coins were at grassroot level; less than 3 inches deep in what had been the front yard of an old house in my hometown. I was using my Bandido II which turned up another shallow coin in the corner of that yard. ( a large "P" war nickel)

chadrack

Sep 20, 2008

Two billion year old Pikes Peak granite. Go to Pikes Peak. Look up (or down, if you are on top). Pretty easy to find. (sorry, this is the humor post.)

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac

Well, yesterday i upped my oldest find. Dug up an 188? Morgan Dollar in the wet sand on the beach. You just never know where things will turn up.

Attachments

• Morgan.JPG
    Morgan.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Morgan.JPG
    Morgan.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 222

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread