Whats the record for banks in a 1 day road trip?

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
What's the record for banks in a 1 day road trip?

So my last long road trip out to the middle of nowhere was nearly a complete bust... But I'm not ready to give up. This time, I'll be heading through some more populated areas, and some areas with a lotta wealth.

My first stop will be outside a mall. I will then proceed to take the road that mall is on for about 20 miles east. Either when I reach my destination (IHOP, haha) or when I get sick of rejections and driving, I will turn westward and come home. Depending on how the results go and the time, I may cut southwards a bit on my way home and run through another densely populated bank road, which would probably net me an additional 20 banks or so. Looks to be about 75 miles total, and I should pass by more than 90 banks without the cut southward, according to Google Maps. Plenty of TD Banks for me to dump at, too, so this should be fun. Hopefully, I'll leave my house by 10am, but I want to clean my car out a bit first, so that might not happen. I'm gonna do this the same exact way I did it last time, updating from my phone as I go.

Wish me luck, I'll need it.

Upvote 0
Re: What's the record for banks in a 1 day road trip?

Awesome Ltrain, can't wait for the real-time results!!! ;D Wishing you the best of luck and that this is the road trip of the century for you and will be talked about by generations of CRHers to come!!! :icon_thumleft:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

$ilver$urfer said:
Awesome Ltrain, can't wait for the real-time results!!! ;D Wishing you the best of luck and that this is the road trip of the century for you and will be talked about by generations of CRHers to come!!! :icon_thumleft:

HH,

Yeah, well, with my luck, I'll find 1 40%... I'm only doing this because there's a bank in the middle of the route that has about $700 in customer rolls that have been sitting in their vault for "at least 5 years".

But anyway, if I actually score big, this'll be my last road trip. I'm tired of taking crap from the girlfriend about my addic... hobby, so I need to kick it.

45 is my record. I had to drive over 200 miles roundtrip to do that. Good luck!

I'm tired of taking crap from the girlfriend about my addic... hobby, so I need to kick it.

Maybe you should cash in some of your finds and buy some gold for her. ;D

Joad

joad said:
I'm tired of taking crap from the girlfriend about my addic... hobby, so I need to kick it.

Maybe you should cash in some of your finds and buy some gold for her. ;D

Joad

If I hit it big tomorrow, I'll sell a chunk and buy her an engagement ring. :tongue3:

But anyway, if I actually score big, this'll be my last road trip. I'm tired of taking crap from the girlfriend about my addic... hobby, so I need to kick it.

I would tell your girl friend that you can change hobbies, perhaps golf. Then you can drop $1000 on a new set of clubs, perhaps a bag to go with it, golf shoes, golf balls etc. Then spend 5 or 6 hours every weekend paying about $80 per round on the course with your buddies.

I think for the time and money spent this is a cheap, fun and potentially profitable hobby. (perhaps a little bit odd)

Gordon

PS I have never done a road trip just for CRH but I have been to 5 or 6 banks in one day.

I've tried to explain it... she hates the time I put into it. It's about an hour a day, maybe two on my days off, and she tells me she'd rather just go out without feeling compelled to stop by banks. That's her issue, I told her I'll slow down in mid-January...

In other news, leaving now. Getting gas, then dumping $2k in halves from Tuesday. After that, will be heading to my first stop.

Filled up my gas tank...$58.63

Got breakfast...$8.39

Dumping $2000+ in halves on cherrypicking tellers... priceless.

Wrapping up there now then continuing onward.

gordon and tanner said:

I would tell your girl friend that you can change hobbies, perhaps golf. Then you can drop $1000 on a new set of clubs, perhaps a bag to go with it, golf shoes, golf balls etc. Then spend 5 or 6 hours every weekend paying about $80 per round on the course with your buddies.

I think for the time and money spent this is a cheap, fun and potentially profitable hobby. (perhaps a little bit odd)

Gordon

PS I have never done a road trip just for CRH but I have been to 5 or 6 banks in one day.

I agree. There are way more expensive hobbies you can do. If she complains now, wait till your married... I hear about it all the time. I guess I should take up a new hobbie thats way more expensive and see what the wife says.

First two banks, nothing.
Bank three, two dollars clad.

Ltrain said:
First two banks, nothing.
Bank three, two dollars clad.

Ltrain - what are the results of your CRH excursion today??? We are all eager with anticipation. :tongue3: Hopefully you didn't break or lose your phone as you are usually very good about giving us real-time results. :icon_thumleft:

HH,

the most banks i did in one day was 43. worked out a travel plan on mapquest.

$ilver$urfer said:
Ltrain - what are the results of your CRH excursion today??? We are all eager with anticipation. :tongue3: Hopefully you didn't break or lose your phone as you are usually very good about giving us real-time results. :icon_thumleft:

HH,

This website doesn't work for shit on Android phones... Tried to update but never was able to after the initial couple updates.

Basically, I managed to hit up 67 banks, give or take a couple, before I ran outta time. Found 3 Franklins, all at one branch. Those were my only 90%'s. Besides that, I found 13 40%'s, including a very nice proof 1976 and a gold-plated 1967. Had some fingerprints on it, but they washed away nicely with a 5 second acetone bath. Best find came in the middle of my route, while dumping some halves. Someone tossed in some kind of pendant earlier, and it came out the reject slot, which was actually backed up. The lady helping me told me to keep it... turns out it's 10kt gold. Sold it 20 minutes later for $50.

Weird finds;
$300 hand rolled at a Wachovia with nothing in 'em. Rarely find that many hand rolled in one place.
$70 hand rolled with dates on them.
A branch with $10k (!) in halves... got three boxes from them to go through tomorrow. Depending on the results, I may make the drive back up there next Thursday again.

Ltrain said:
$ilver$urfer said:

HH,

This website doesn't work for --deleted-- on Android phones... Tried to update but never was able to after the initial couple updates.

Basically, I managed to hit up 67 banks, give or take a couple, before I ran outta time. Found 3 Franklins, all at one branch. Those were my only 90%'s. Besides that, I found 13 40%'s, including a very nice proof 1976 and a gold-plated 1967. Had some fingerprints on it, but they washed away nicely with a 5 second acetone bath. Best find came in the middle of my route, while dumping some halves. Someone tossed in some kind of pendant earlier, and it came out the reject slot, which was actually backed up. The lady helping me told me to keep it... turns out it's 10kt gold. Sold it 20 minutes later for $50.

Weird finds;
$300 hand rolled at a Wachovia with nothing in 'em. Rarely find that many hand rolled in one place.
$70 hand rolled with dates on them.
A branch with $10k (!) in halves... got three boxes from them to go through tomorrow. Depending on the results, I may make the drive back up there next Thursday again.

All in all you had a great day!!! :icon_thumleft: So nice to find silver out there when searching for it - and that $50 gold bonus must have made your day!!! ;D

HH,

$ilver$urfer said:
All in all you had a great day!!! :icon_thumleft: So nice to find silver out there when searching for it - and that $50 gold bonus must have made your day!!! ;D

HH,

Coulda been better too... had a bank that had just sent out a $500 bag of halves, I actually got 4 40%'s out of that one branch in about $10 of halves, so... that irked me.

Another branch had just sent out a bag of "big old dollar coins." Asked if there was a lady or a dude on the front "I think it was a mix of both." which the head teller verified. FML. :(

EDIT: What's the fed gonna do with all of the Ikes that banks turn in?

Found a 1972 type 2 Ike with the Ikes I picked up.

Booyah! ;D

Great thread! I'm getting inspired. I am going to 'the big city' tomorrow. I bet my wife won't be happy when I try to hit 7 banks on the way home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back