What's new

whats this bead made of?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found only one other bead from this site. Its the blue glass one. This one has me stumped on what its made of and weather or not it's pre-contact. I do have evidence of the use of asphaltum/tar at this site. Could it be tar?
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20120908_230000.webp
    ForumRunner_20120908_230000.webp
    59.1 KB · Views: 140
  • ForumRunner_20120908_230109.webp
    ForumRunner_20120908_230109.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 144
  • ForumRunner_20120908_230525.webp
    ForumRunner_20120908_230525.webp
    36.6 KB · Views: 129
  • ForumRunner_20120908_230724.webp
    ForumRunner_20120908_230724.webp
    55.5 KB · Views: 121
  • ForumRunner_20120908_231046.webp
    ForumRunner_20120908_231046.webp
    63.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Upvote 0
your right....... I guess I just wont know for sure yet.
 
Could it be a soap stone? I have a drilled gorget it is a dark waxy brown but hard enough to survive?
 
I wish I could tell anything for sure. I'd have to say probably not. I know this isn't real scientific but the sound it makes on my tooth is a "Tink" like glass. High pitch.
 
if it is asphaltum ,here is a test.
get a pin, and heat it up.
now i know you don;t want to damage it.
but you could go down thu the hole.
and into inside of the hole and into the inside side and see if it will melt into the side. if it dose it not glass.
 
Dang.. why didn't I think of that? Thanks.
 
Haha..
Sorry dude! Yeah. Its glass.
 
Bout freakin time you found out what it is......Talk about a thread beater!!!!..............lmfao!!!......................GTP(Chris)
 
Hahaha your f.in right.
 
Dam you Floridians and your prize fishing.......Nice fish man!!! All I have are my streams and lakes and guess what....with the increase in migrant workers and foreigners who do not know how to catch and release these lakes and rivers are getting fished out. Now they have a bunch of lakes around me that will not allow you to keep your catch. They have no choice to do this until populations start flourishing again...........
 
Ahhh..that's sad to hear.
 
Thanks.
 
European (British,French or Russian) dark brown trade bead. Late 1700s- 1850s.
 
Its very black and looks exactly like the one called Luis and Clark. Also the Russian ones are octagonal and blue or green... at least that's what I've studied. I have blue. I could be wrong... where can I find info on dark brown?
 
Ahrrr.. both links are bad. Not available.
 
It's been a while. Lost several of my older books in a fire 16 years ago, but I seem to remember a bead similar to yours that came from the English. (not absolute)!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom