Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's your deepest find??

Mine was Cannonball found yesterday at 18". I know that the bigger the target the deeper we can read it and I don't always go after them, depends on where I'm hunting. Thought it would be interesting to hear what you found and after yesterday I wonder what I've left behind.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I dug a beer can at about 12-14 inches on our very first day out MDing. We dug for a good 5-10 minutes with a cheap Fiskars hand shovel and both laughed our butts off when we saw that can. We were sure it was lost treasure!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was using my MXT at the beach. Dry sand, the MXT doesn't work well in wet sand at ocean beaches. The machine was new and I was in a learning curve. My 8 or 9 year old grandson was with me, along with a pack of his friends, so I wasn't wearing ear phones. I'd get a hit, and sand would fly. I got a solid hit, the read out said quarter at 12 inches, and I told them it was a deep coin. The used the sand scoop and it was a clad two bit piece, that looked to me like it was a good solid 12 inches. Later I figured out that quarters at 12 inches are usually Pepsi cans, and most of the time I don't dig them. On those deep coin signals my friend likes to say it's a VW at 6 feet. So that was the only time I found anything worth while that deep. I found an Indian head penny around five or six inches, in a relic area where I was digging everything. Square nails make such great sound I'll dig them every time. That has nothing to do with depth, but I found lots of square nails where I found the IH.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deepest recovered was a tin (maybe aluminum) pie plate at around 24". Another interesting find was a piece of aluminum wire about 3/16" dia by 1" long that was 18" at a sand vollyball court. Go figure. I think it was a piece of grounding wire from a nearby utility pole or some part of the park wiring.

I have had deeper signals but got tired of digging or hit rusty iron/steel and filled it back in. It's not uncommon in this area for farmers to use back-hoes to bury old cars and broken farm equipment.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
24 inches deep on a 6" by 9" by 3" inch glacial float copper 30 pounds, had another 6 inches to spare.
fond with a white's 5900 with a 15 inch blue Max coil... thank you white's for setting the industries standards....

liftloop

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well here goes. Cache find-.50cal ammo box at 6', with Hays 2 Box.
License plate-at 24" note, extremely rusted, with Whites XLT.
Boat anchor-at 4' with rope still tied to boat with Whites Surfmaster PI.
There was also a mod. T rear axle found in woods, buried. Didn't measure depth. Wild guess- 3'
My next one will be at 18", I hope. :) :) :) The cross on rock cache. T Chest.jpg This picture was taken just before it was buried at 18". That's over $15K.
Frank

Steve Ia

Aug 22, 2010
I found a tea kettle at a fur trade site with a White's 5900. I didn't measure with a ruler but I'm thinking close to 24" to the top of the kettle. Also in the same hole were 3 knife blades stacked, and a long shaped hook I believe would have been used to hang a kettle over a fire. It's definitely the deepest hole I've dug detecting. The detector did not give a good signal, rather just a change in the threshold. I could tell something big was down there and the more dirt I scraped away the better it sounded.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I got the lit to a steel drum at well over 24 inches. it was bent in half and sounded like mid-depth silver at first.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill start with a "notable" one I briefly owned on a whim...
A Garret 2500 with larger coil rig that I called "Quarter Killer"... it was a coin shooter from hell...
Change was what it mostly found... but let me tell you... the damn thing was hot on coins... but not much else for me.
Other detectors would be walking right around me and not digging... and I would walk behind them nailing left and right.
I actually got sick of digging change day after day with it beings almost everything here is Clad...
Hit quarters at 12 inches like it was nothing... 15 was a common deepest... sand mind you.
Even in compacted... I only ended up with it because I got a stellar deal on it...
Sold it to a northern guy I met while detecting for more than I had paid after he saw it in action...
Was gonna take it to Mass or some place and hunt a farm the couple inherited... retirees...
Anyway...I know... you are prolly saying to yourself "why" "why did you sell a detector that hit like that"...
Simple... Here are the first ten reasons...
#1. Paid 400 in new con WITH alum scoop and 2 coils... complete bag... sold for offer of 750 on the spot... without scoop. (girl needed a new scoop).
#2. I do not like NON waterproof detectors... I work beaches primarily and salt air /mist is a part of my life... I can deal... most detectors cant.
#3. Buttons stuck "in" a lot from sand from gloves.
#4. I am not big into Clad.
#5. I only bought it because it was a great deal... and I cannot pass a deal like that up... was a promo tester or some crap.
#6. I like Garrett products.
#7. I Thought my girl would like it... but she did not... said its too heavy.
#8. I wanted to put another "detector experience" under my belt.
#9. I love metal detecting and the love for metal detectors is just part of the territory.
#10. I am not stupid. :P

Minelabs... ahhhh yes where to start... heh
Let me just say I owned a few over the years...
In the first couple of batches of em... they were on the line so to speak...
My first blue deteriorated over time and sold her.
Blue2... she was my baby... I used her in the woods... on mountains... in desert... you name it... sold her as well...
Used a Sov and a White TM808 in S,C. in ordinance location for land owners in a closed base there... Sov far out worked the 808.
Anyway my X2's will hit anything at 12 is cake... and up to 15 ISH... cans at 2 feet.
That all I gotta say about that.

NOW... for my big baby... "old faithful"... When everything else just simply will not do...
When something is deep and must be found... and everything else with it.
And by far the deepest "hottest" detector I have ever held in my hands...
My JW 8...
First day I used her back when dino's still roamed the earth...
I hit a half full propane tank at 3 feet with the 7 inch coil... Yep... 7 inch coil...
Remnants of hurricane aftermath from years earlier.
I have a custom tweaked skid for her... With that I could hit that same can... At 6-8 feet of sand... no problem.

I have owned a ton of different detectors over my years... and very good ones... but as far as "depth" goes... these above stand out.

*** EDIT - NO ! When I said "hot" Garrett... I did not mean "hot" as in stolen ... I use the word "hot" when the detector is "live" or good...like strong.
Sheesh.

Last edited:

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to dig a lot of deep trash (cans, can slaw, copper and aluminum wire, heavy iron if it is in a loop).

The right junk can give VDI numbers right in the sweet spots for copper and silver. Sweated digging a LOT of this crap out of the ground until I learned to really understand what my detector is telling me. Got tired of digging twelve and fourteen inch holes for a stomped aluminum can. So I started really paying attention to the subtle info from my Fisher F70.

Here are a few of the things I have learned.

1) Junk only gives good VDI numbers on the edge of the target (probably because there is something about a sharp edge or a lip that creates a good signature for the VDI algorithms). So if the pinpoint function of the detector says the target is centered in one place, and the high tone (and good vdi) are a couple inches away... the target is junk.

2) A good target (with very few exceptions) gives a solid tone, and only a few digits of bounce on the target ID. Junk is usually scratchier in tone, and almost always has 5 or 6 digits of VDI bounce.

3) If it only gives a tone in one direction from multiple axis swings... it's junk.

4) If it gives a nice high tone, and a silver VDI number, but I still get a good tone with the detector ten inches off the ground... It's junk.

5) If it gives a high 60's VDI (67 or 68 specifically) it's junk, and there is a 95% probability that it is a smashed aluminum screw top. (but I can't yet resist the urge to dig it.)

6) If it gives a really sweet high tone, and the VDI gives me a solid 92-93... it's a friggin rusty bottle cap... and I know it before I dig it... but I still dig it.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Chinese coin with a China man holding on to it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepest keeper - 3 pound Revolutionary War cannon ball from the Brandywine Battlefield BEFORE the development went in. 28-30" deep. I had a very hard time getting it out of the hole.

MountainDewed

Oct 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Chinese coin with a China man holding on to it.

You sniped me, lol(chuckled because I meant ninja'd but funnier this way)... I mean I'm not the china-man and you used a sniper coil, I mean you sniped my idea minus the thousands of miles I was gonna use...

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter big bud pro
Along Fountain Creek in Colorado. Wet sand. Got a signal from my Bounty Hunter and started digging. Arm length deep, I pull out and old pop can. (sigh)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread