Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DCMatt said:
Hey Michelle!

Only being the M.O.T.O.

I think I'd like to be the M.O.T.O. every once in a while! Maybe I could be the "quasi-MOTO"? ;D ::) Does that name "ring a bell" with anybody?

Sorry... I'll stop now...

DCMatt
:P

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

My camera lense needs a clean but I can't be arsed right now.

I can tell this was original & I have seen bullets holes before.

Attachments

• hole.JPG
    hole.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 678
  • hole1.JPG
    hole1.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 675
  • hole2.JPG
    hole2.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 670
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Tried hanging it from a piece of string & hit it with a metal object & its far to thick & the wrong shape to make any sound that is even remotely like a bell.

Upvote 0
M

MaineMartialArt

dugfinds said:
My camera lense needs a clean but I can't be arsed right now.

I can tell this was original & I have seen bullets holes before.

Off topic:
The issue isn't the lens being dirty it's that the object you are trying to photograph isn't in focus. See how the floor in sharp and in focus? You are too close to the object, try putting it down and using the zoom (if you have that feature) If it is a digital camera, there is often selectable modes for closeups or documents which are good for about 20-75 centimeters or so depending on model/lens, and these modes produce really great closeups of objects.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dugfinds said:
Tried hanging it from a piece of string & hit it with a metal object & its far to thick & the wrong shape to make any sound that is even remotely like a bell.
Square one.......Snuffer...the inside of this THING has a swirl...also it looks double metaled "like a cup" inside the top of it...snuffer...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Michelle said:
dugfinds said:
Square one.......Snuffer...the inside of this THING has a swirl...also it looks double metaled "like a cup" inside the top of it...snuffer...

You maybe on to something. If it were a snuffer, I would expect some wax and or some black discolouring from the soot. But if it had a glass insert held in place by the 2 screws on either side then that would explain the holes??

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Hey all...

In the first reply i said this was a candle snuffer.. and now, after looking at hundreds of pictures of candle snuffers, candle holder cups, and a zillion other antique brass items, I want to again say; "It's a candle snuffer".

If this is antique it would be impossible to tell when, how, by what, or even why the holes are there. In addition, the holes could have simply held an outter ornimentation or been placed there for any number of reasons (a crude attempt to fix a broken handle for example...).

Nothing else works for me anyways... My three cents. Thanks for listening.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the first reply i said this was a candle snuffer.. and now, after looking at hundreds of pictures of candle snuffers, candle holder cups, and a zillion other antique brass items, I want to again say; "It's a candle snuffer".
:D ;) I do think so also....and someone else has said that the holes could have came from an accidental hit either from a pitch fork(being that it was found on a farm) or some kind of field rake etc....WAS IT FOUND ON A FARM???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

Michelle said:
:D ;) I do think so also....and someone else has said that the holes could have came from an accidental hit either from a pitch fork(being that it was found on a farm) or some kind of field rake etc....WAS IT FOUND ON A FARM???

No at least 1-2 miles away from any farm.

Candle snuffer will do, I'm not keeping it anyway (Goes in my junk lot to sell/instead of the hedge).

Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't believe the holes are from a puncture (bullet, pitchfork, digging tool...). If the enlarged hole was the entry point of a puncture (dented IN), the opposite hole would be the point of exit and also enlarged (dented OUT).

This piece was attached to something and ripped from it with some force causing the attaching nail or screw head to enlarge the hole as it pulled through. I still think it is a carriage rail end or perhaps a stanchion eye.

Just my thoughts...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

DCMatt said:
I don't believe the holes are from a puncture (bullet, pitchfork, digging tool...). If the enlarged hole was the entry point of a puncture (dented IN), the opposite hole would be the point of exit and also enlarged (dented OUT).

This piece was attached to something and ripped from it with some force causing the attaching nail or screw head to enlarge the hole as it pulled through. I still think it is a carriage rail end or perhaps a stanchion eye.

Just my thoughts...

DCMatt

Yes, I noticed the same awhile back. But to keep people happy, its a candle snuffer converted to a carriage rail & then ripped off. :)

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am beginning to see it now....candle snuffers did have ornate handles or side decorations such as Cherubs, Angels....etc...cold have been torn off over time...Still worth keeping....either way Nice Find!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread