16.1 KB · Views: 1,041
  • mystery1.JPG
    mystery1.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,037

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I don't think this is right... but what if it was an old toy helmet...and those holes were where some little chin straps were attached/riveted to the side? But then you wonder what the loop on the top is for! :-\

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

downindixie said:
Looks like a bell with a bullet hole thru it.

Theres no attachment inside for the clanger, plus the holes are purpose made at manufacture

Upvote 0
M

MaineMartialArt

Not all bells had a hanging striker attached inside, many were made to be struck from the outside with a wand or were part of a windchime. I would say candle snuffer or part of a windchime of some kind. How can you be sure the side holes were "purpose made at manufacture" ? They might have, but very well could have been added later for any number of reasons. To me, the attempt at making one wider (if that is why one is mangled) points to the holes being added later for some other reason.

Just some thoughts - MMA

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possible a tip for a horse drawn carriage shaft. The enlarged hole shows stress where it was pulled from it's attachment. The hole on the tip could have attached to the harness.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dugupfinds

DCMatt said:
Possible a tip for a horse drawn carriage shaft. The enlarged hole shows stress where it was pulled from it's attachment. The hole on the tip could have attached to the harness.

DCMatt

Best suggestion so far. Cheers

Upvote 0

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The holes appear to me to be damage done by an ice pick used by a MD'er to probe the ground in search for the target object.(having done this myself...)Or possibly holes where small brads were to go to affix the item on to some piece of wood..
Just my thoughts
Scott

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Looks like a candle snuffer with a bullet hole in it. Of course, the bigger hole would be the exit hole.

Around where I used to live, it didn't matter what is was, if you could stand it up, it was a good target.

B
Absolutely agree.....Done!

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why sure..... ;) Only being the M.O.T.O. I am Mrs. Orbo will have to do the honors of target practice....I'M A REALLY BAD SHOT! ;)

Attachments

• candlesnuffer.jpg
    candlesnuffer.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 709
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread