when and why?

offcoursetoo

Greenie
May 13, 2006
I had had these tokens for years and not until I found this site did I care to find out about them. one is from mississippi and the other is from Alabama. when did we use these and why?? The quarter is there for size reference, of course, comment on it also if you want.

Attachments

• tokens.jpg
    tokens.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 242
  • tokens.jpg
    tokens.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 231

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally sales tax tokens were in use from 1931-1945.Yours would have been in use probably after 1937.These were used when states first started using a "sales tax".Instead of using money for tax you would pay with these tokens instead of cash.The numbers on them represent "mills",each mill is a tenth of a cent.So your Alabama token would represent 5/10ths of a cent.The Miss. token being only a 1 mill could be used for an item that cost a nickel if the sales tax was 2% for example.Here's a link to a site that can give you a little info. on all kinds of tokens;http://www.chicagocoinclub.org/projects/PiN/cut.html.Scroll down about 3/4 of the page,a couple paragraphs before"THE ROLL CALL OF THE STATES",to read about tax tokens.Take care. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions