What's new

When did that happen....

GMan00001

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,539
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was out and about Xmas shopping I picked up a Feb 2009 copy of the "Coin Values" magazine.

My previous copy was Dec 2007.

As I was scanning through I noticed that the prices for silver halves jumped....

For example in 12/07, a common franklin half in VF-20 was listed as $7....in the new issue its $10
And common walkers in G-4 jumped from $7 to $11
common washington quarters in G-4 went from $3.5 to $5
common roosevelt and mercury dimes in VF-20 from $1.50 to $2.50

At first I thought maybe it was just the silver price, but war nickels stayed exactly the same price....no change.

Now are these prices just a holdover from having higher silver prices temporarily or fixed higher prices for the coins????
 
Upvote 0
It happened in the June issue which I received in April. At that point silver had been north of $16/oz. for most of the year, so my guess is it's at least partially bullion related.
 
GMan00001 said:
As I was out and about Xmas shopping I picked up a Feb 2009 copy of the "Coin Values" magazine.

My previous copy was Dec 2007.

As I was scanning through I noticed that the prices for silver halves jumped....

For example in 12/07, a common franklin half in VF-20 was listed as $7....in the new issue its $10
And common walkers in G-4 jumped from $7 to $11
common washington quarters in G-4 went from $3.5 to $5
common roosevelt and mercury dimes in VF-20 from $1.50 to $2.50

At first I thought maybe it was just the silver price, but war nickels stayed exactly the same price....no change.

Now are these prices just a holdover from having higher silver prices temporarily or fixed higher prices for the coins????


Those must be ebay prices. Because no way are you gonna get even 7 dollars on a common date Franklin half here. Even if it is AU. Maybe if you have a whole roll of them, but not just one. Those books that quote the prices are fine, but finding a buyer willing to pay is another story.

I bought an MS 64 Franklin 1963 for only 8.50 back when junk silver halves were going for 5.50 earlier this year. It was in the 50% off box at my local coin store. It is PCGS graded. Whatever fool sent if off for grading spent 30 bucks just to have it slabbed. I figure I got a deal, even if just for the silver content.

Jim
 
I feel "COIN VALUES" prices on most of there modern 1950 Up are way inflated.

for example a 1964 rosie dime in VF for $2.50, I can buy them all day long for $2.00 in MS condition. In VF I can get them for just cents over melt value. Again you have to remember these are just guides, sometimes bad ones at that.

Happy Holidays,
Jason
 
Shake-N-Bake said:
I feel "COIN VALUES" prices on most of there modern 1950 Up are way inflated.

for example a 1964 rosie dime in VF for $2.50, I can buy them all day long for $2.00 in MS condition. In VF I can get them for just cents over melt value. Again you have to remember these are just guides, sometimes bad ones at that.

Happy Holidays,
Jason

I wasn't necessarily looking at the exact prices, more the concept of them changing.....as both numbers were from the same magazine.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom