When it’s too hot to detect, go to the library

CrankyBuzzard

Jul 6, 2020
North Texas USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and White's Spectra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old homestead place (3 now) that I’m hunting was dated by the landowner to the 1920s and I’ve believed that for the last year or so.

I’m vacationing at the site this week and decided to visit the local library and see what I could find out about the place. Inside of the library is the county genealogical group and they had a LOT of great things to peruse, it was also air conditioned.

I was able to determine that the first homestead on this property was in 1899 and is about 1/4 mile away from the old home place I’m hunting now. As I went further into the records, I found that there were 2 homes at my existing site at one point in time with the older of the 2 being built in 1918, and the other in 1934.

A little research can go a long way if you’re so inclined. The picture is of a survey map from 1888.
E06F1A39-2771-457C-AE90-13B1E62A7A73.jpeg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it 2 homes in different locations or 1 home that was rebuilt in same location? If 2 separate homes does it show where previous home was located on the map?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or like i did years ago - got a water machine
with gold around $2000 - its a good idea

OP
OP
CrankyBuzzard

CrankyBuzzard

Jul 6, 2020
North Texas USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and White's Spectra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it 2 homes in different locations or 1 home that was rebuilt in same location? If 2 separate homes does it show where previous home was located on the map?

It was 2 separate homes that “look” about 100 - 150 yards apart; old map scales aren’t known for great accuracy. According to the deed records both parties had the same last name, so I’m thinking brothers, or father and son, living beside each other. At the time the land was comprised of almost 300 acres.

Once we get some cooler weather, and I can get some of the high (18-24”) grass/weeds knocked down, it could get even more fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread