When was this police button produced?

bartshop62

Banned
Feb 12, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When was this police button produced? Found metal detecting in the site of an home in Atlanta Ga built in 1850 is this an atlanta Ga police button it is lightweight. Maybe it got smashed recently or by a 1800s wagon? It says fine quality 3 stars. Is it a reproduction? It does not stick to the magnet. View attachment 1904099 20210221_180329.jpg 20210221_180345.jpg

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It will not stick to a magnet because it, like most older buttons are made from brass.

Are you sure it was smashed? The shank looks intact.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bartshop62

Banned
Feb 12, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will not stick to a magnet because it, like most older buttons are made from brass.

Are you sure it was smashed? The shank looks intact.
The button front not the shank my bad buddy.

Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The button front not the shank my bad buddy.

I know. What I'm saying is normally when a button gets smashed, the shank will get bent in too. Kind of unusual for a button face to get smashed in without damaging the shank.

Please post a pic of the face.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The backmark on brass buttons made before 1890 was almost always written in what is called "Serifed" lettering. Your button's backmark is written in what is called "Plain Block" lettering, and the stars in the backmark are hollow. That means the statistical odds highly favor your button being made in the 20th-Century.

In the future, when you ask for help about determining a button's age, always include a photo of its front.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bartshop62

Banned
Feb 12, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The backmark on brass buttons made before 1890 was almost always written in what is called "Serifed" lettering. Your button's backmark is written in what is called "Plain Block" lettering, and the stars in the backmark are hollow. That means the statistical odds highly favor your button being made in the 20th-Century.

In the future, when you ask for help about determining a button's age, always include a photo of its front.
The first photo is the front of the button.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bartshop62

Banned
Feb 12, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know. What I'm saying is normally when a button gets smashed, the shank will get bent in too. Kind of unusual for a button face to get smashed in without damaging the shank.

Please post a pic of the face.
The first photo is the front of the button.

Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see a pic of the back of the button and a pic of the side of the button but no pic of the front of the button.

You only have two pics posted. Back and side. Show us the part that convinces you it is a police button.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bartshop62

Banned
Feb 12, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a pic of the back of the button and a pic of the side of the button but no pic of the front of the button.

You only have two pics posted. Back and side. Show us the part that convinces you it is a police button.
I took a screenshot showing proof I posted thw front and i took another pic of the front too. Front side of button looks like police to me. Bud. Dont say I havent posted the front but theres proof with the screenshot. 20210222_232906.jpg Screenshot_20210222-233130.jpg

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Timbermaster, thank you VERY much for providing the screenshot which proves Dug and I were not lying when we said there's no photo of the button's front. Your screenshot shows Bartshop's discussion-starting post does not contain a photo of the button's front. The attachment for it is invalid, so it did not get shown.

Bartshop wrote:
> Wow sorry for that I dont know why it works on mobile but not ON INTERNET.
> Attachment 1904556

Bartshop, thank you for that apology. However, as you can see from my quote of your message, the photo-attachment still is not working for anybody who views T-Net with a computer.

Also... since your first post did show two photos, people saying there was no photo of the front is entirely reasonable. Seems like if there was a problem with posting your attachments from a Mobile, none of the photos would have showed up. You might want to try to figure out why two worked and one did not. Otherwise, the problem is not fixed, and it will be repeated in your future posts.

Upvote 0

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TheCannonballGuy has replied twice on this post which is a doubly high honor to any tnetter. Bart, please look before you leap from now on. That is a nice button btw.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread