Where can I hunt?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome to the forum.

First thing you should do is make sure what you " heard " about detecting the parks is true. You can do that by going to the Parks department and ask. Ask the folks at the desk for a copy of the most current rules for using the city parks. Then, go the the city police department and ask them. You want to make sure the " left hand knows what the right hand is doing ". ;D It's not unusual for the two departments to be disconnected with eachother.

Go to the school principal of a school you might want to detect and ask if it's OK. Practice, practice, practice on recovering targets without leaving a mess. Do that practice in your own yard. By the way, have you detected your own yard? That's where to start your hobby.

Find a local detector dealer and ask about any local detecting clubs. That's where you'll meet folks who are " in the know " about local places to go and also the local laws.

The old Chishum Cattle Trail passes not too far from you. Research it and look into the places where it crossed the creeks and rivers. Find out if the state or county owns the riverbeds or if the landowners property lines go to the center of the waterway. That will tell you who to talk to about permission to search.

Arlington is a fairly young city, but the area is old and participated in a lot of history. Make full use of your local libraries ( Arlington, Ft. Worth, Dallas,etc ) and study local historical info there. Join the local Historical Societies, but do not let them know you are a detectorist. Generally speaking, " them " and " us " do not work together very well. ;D

As I mentioned in the first paragraph; learn the rules. Then, study how to play our game within those rules. And good luck. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Thanks for all the information. It was in this forum that I learned the city had passed an ordinance last year. But, I am still going to call. I just recently retired and wanted to pick up this hobby, that I had started back in the 70's and quit because of "life" and work.
I am researching some now. I haven't been able to join a club until now, because of my work hours. I'm too excited about this hobby!!
I had a lot of fun with my Bounty Hunter many years ago. Can hardly wait to see what my new Ace 250 can do.
I'm new to the internet too, so pardon my lack of web ediquette. :icon_study:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your net etiquette seems OK. Good luck. :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Make sure that is correct and I would try to find out without calling. What are you going to do if the person says "no metal detecting" and in reality they may not even know. If they are unsure, the easy answer is always no. The only city parks around here that I have found specifically stating "no metal detecting" are ones also designated "historical". Now, if you find there is nothing stated about metal detecting, keep in mind there is always something about destroying, altering etc. that some jerk can try to use to keep you out. If you find yourself confronted by someone about weather you are allowed to metal detect there, you are best to move on even if you are well within your rights. Mainly because you have just run into the type of person that would take their time to go to a city council meeting and spout off about MDers tearing up the city parks and with no one there to defend our hobby, well, you know what can happen. I have hunted parks all around the Dallas area and have never had any problem. I have had a few people quiz me about what I was doing and since I had the feeling they were concerned I was destroying something I took the time to explain MDing, retrieval techniques etc and all ended smoothly. When going to a park I try to go when the fewest people are there. Nothing worse than a bunch of kids around and you pull out a digger. Makes parents nervous.
All that being said, just use common sense, don't leave a mess, stay away from the playground areas when kids are present and you should have no problems. Don't forget to spend some time researching for older areas to hunt as strictly park hunting can become old and you don't want that MD to find itself sitting in the corner collecting dust.

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Appreciate all the info. Arlington did add "no mding without a permit" in its ordinances. I was wondering what the permit would be. My favorite places of interest is old property that looks like it once had a home on it. Plenty of those around outside of town, now if I could work up the courage to find the owner and ask permission. I don't want my md to collect any more dust than it already has!!!!!

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Where ever they let you and do not throw you out. ;D

Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Put on an orange vest and safety glasses and look like you are weed eating.

Kidding

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
;
D ;D HAHAHA!!!!!!!! Hmmm, maybe that's a good idea. I've been out checking out the surrounding towns, even worked one park, until some suspicious looking fellas started looking my way. Didn't find anything. So far my "treasures" are just coins found at the 7-11 parking lot. I did dig some coins up in a local park. About 52 cents. That was before I knew they had passed a law.
Thanks for all the tips everyone!
dustbuster

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
dustbuster said:
;
D ;D HAHAHA!!!!!!!! Hmmm, maybe that's a good idea. I've been out checking out the surrounding towns, even worked one park, until some suspicious looking fellas started looking my way. Didn't find anything. So far my "treasures" are just coins found at the 7-11 parking lot. I did dig some coins up in a local park. About 52 cents. That was before I knew they had passed a law.
Thanks for all the tips everyone!
dustbuster

1. Find a copy of the local maps in your area.
2. Find areas with heavy traffic or even older dwellings
3. Scout the location and look for owners
4. Ask for permission, all they can say is no.

Headed out now!

HH and welcome around here.

Jason

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dustbustser:

One other thing I forgot to mention. The older parts of town where the good hunting is; is often the bad part of town. Sad fact. Now not all old homes, because folks have moved in and restored old homes in the last several years, but many. Check with a local cop and find out the parts of town to stay away from. Also, be careful when out alone; even in the good parts of town. While wearing headphones ( and you should use them ), you have to keep your eyes moving. In the service, it's called "Situational Awareness". It probably would be a good idea to "carry" and have a license to do so. I have a Mississippi Permit to carry concealled and I know that Mississippi and Texas have a reciprocal agreement. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Shortstack said:
dustbustser:

One other thing I forgot to mention. The older parts of town where the good hunting is; is often the bad part of town. Sad fact. Now not all old homes, because folks have moved in and restored old homes in the last several years, but many. Check with a local cop and find out the parts of town to stay away from. Also, be careful when out alone; even in the good parts of town. While wearing headphones ( and you should use them ), you have to keep your eyes moving. In the service, it's called "Situational Awareness". It probably would be a good idea to "carry" and have a license to do so. I have a Mississippi Permit to carry concealled and I know that Mississippi and Texas have a reciprocal agreement. :thumbsup:
[/
quote]You are so right! When I had my first BH back in the early '70's I could go anywhere without any worries. Now it's not safe to go to a lot of places, alone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions