Where did it go?? Ring 137 Gold?

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil.
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a very low signal. I would have missed it if I didn't have my discrimination turned all the way down. This is why I keep it turned down. That's where some of the gold is.
My meter reads 573 for a quarter, about 450 for a nickel. This reading was at 260.
---
Ever since I got my Garrett Pinpointer I've spent less time pinpointing with the detector before going for the object. I got a little too speedy on this one because I missed it by an inch. So I dug over a tad with the trowel. The signal then disappeared. I couldn't find it anywhere. Then I saw it... This is a recreation, lol.
---
This ring doesn't have any markings on it. It's very light in color. No corrosion. I'm pretty sure it's gold but I need to get it tested. I do have a 14k ring this color. I knicked the ring just a tiny bit with the trowel. I can see it's solid metal. The stone's real. A garnet maybe?

Attachments

• ring137.jpg
    ring137.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 422
  • Ring 137.jpg
    Ring 137.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 391
  • ring trowel.jpg
    ring trowel.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 390
Upvote 2

leaker

Nov 8, 2012
Jefferson city mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get a loop look for bubbles in the stone.no bubbles then you have something. Bubbles and you have glass.don't drink and drive you might spill your drink

Emma1121

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2012
Guam
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad is a silversmith and I've grown up working in the jewelry industry as a diamondtologist. Judging from the scratches on that stone you've got something fairly soft on the hardness scale- 6 or under if it's real. Could be a synthetic however- definitely not garnet though with that pretty blue. Good luck identifying it further!

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring !

OP
OP
Fix

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you get a loop look for bubbles in the stone.no bubbles then you have something. Bubbles and you have glass.don't drink and drive you might spill your drink

I have a 16 power jewelers loupe. It looks clear to me. No bubbles.

OP
OP
Fix

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My dad is a silversmith and I've grown up working in the jewelry industry as a diamondtologist. Judging from the scratches on that stone you've got something fairly soft on the hardness scale- 6 or under if it's real. Could be a synthetic however- definitely not garnet though with that pretty blue. Good luck identifying it further!
--
I meant sapphire when i said garnet. oops.. It can't be a sapphire either because it's not hard enough like you said. I put it on my diamond tester. The light moves up three spaces so I don't believe it's glass. With glass it doesn't move at all or sometimes 1 space.
--
It also turns red under a black light. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Finn74

Dec 16, 2012
Hey Fix. Nice find. I seem to remember reading somewhere that blue diamonds glow red under black light. I'd definitely have someone check it for sure. HH

Emma1121

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2012
Guam
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking synthetic, tanzanite, or iolite without having to go get an appraisal. Synthetics aren't necessarily bad, or as I like to call it "fake it till you make it" :)!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread