Where do I start

orpiment

Nov 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. I am brand new to detecting. I live on Long Island and the bridge to my beach finally opened today. Can someone tell me where on the beach (after a storm like Sandy) is the best place to start? Is it better to hunt near the shoreline or up by the dunes where everything was deposited. Any help is appreciated. Today my finds included a rusty nail and a bottle cap so I could use some help. Thanks.

Upvote 0

NYwaterhunter

Jul 23, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ORP,
From my experience water hunting (I'm freshwater not salt water)
The higher the density the metal, The deeper it sinks compared to lower density metal.
So, look for low area, holes and cuts where you can get down deep into.
Good luck.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look for streaks of Black sand on the beach, and at the waterline. These are always an indicator of where other heavy things like coins and jewelry will be deposited. Many beaches will only have Black sand streaks after a storm, or unusually heavy wave action. Look for hard clay patches that are showing and detect the small depressions that look like miniature potholes or gullies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread