What's new

Where do you exchange all the foriegn coins from CRH

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2007
Messages
1,774
Reaction score
569
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hey guys
Ive accumulated alot of foriegn coins over the course of this yr. I called all the locale banks and none will exchange the coinage. Any ideas where i can get rid of these things.
Keith
 
Upvote 0
Personally, I keep mine however if I actually want to get rid of them I go through the Wal-mart self checkout aisle and try to put them in the machine. Sometimes it takes them and sometimes it doesn't. I've had my best luck with the Canadian coins. But if you want to get rid of them the only good way I can think of is eBay. Group them in multiple lots and try to sell them that way or sell them by the pound.
 
Try banks in a bigger city. We have several within 40 miles where I live, so it is probably a matter of expanding the range. It also has to be worth enough exchange value to make it worth it, I would look up the exchange rates on the net to make sure you have a rough total, especially if it is a long drive to cash in.
 
I can come up with a few choices as to what to do with them, but you aren't likely to get much for them no matter what you do unless you have a rare coin or two mixed in.

a) Put them in one big lot on eBay and see what anyone is willing to pay...no idea what you'd get for that.
b) List them on craigslist (free) and see if you can sell them that way.
c) Take a trip to the country they are from and spend them (may not be economical but it sure would be fun).
d) Donate them as a prize for a raffle for Boy Scouts or some other group of choice and feel good about yourself.
e) Go to a coin show and see if you can get any takers....you might find someone willing to pay $1.
f) Find someone who collects foreign coins and trade them for US coins (I know I have come across foreign coin traders on the web somewhere). May not be cost effective with postage and time though.
g) Keep them and give them to your kids/grandkids someday...they won't cost you much to hold on to.
h) Throw them in the trash. (not recommended)

Hmmm...If I keep thinking I may come up with some others, but that's all I had off the top of my head...myself, I choose (g).

I am not aware of any banks that exchange money for foreign coins. Foreign bills yes, foreign coins no. I may be wrong, but that's what I've been told when asked.

Any other ideas?
 
Hey there,
As for bringing them to a bank, that is out of the question. No banks exchange foriegn coins.
Your best bet is to make a list and PM me I might be interested. You can also put them on the classified section on Treasurenet. I don't want to sound negative but foriegn coins go very very cheap. The dealer I deal with on a regular basis sells foriegn coins 12 for a $1. Like mentioned in an earlier post unless you have a couple a varieties(which is unlikely) you wont get very much.
You might just want to hold on to them for "trophey's" of your CRHing finds. They are great conversation pieces.
Happy Hunting,
Jason
 
The best I've done (besides spending them myself in Canada) is to find someone at work (or a friend) who is going to said country and convince them to spend them while they are there. This obviously works best for the UK, Canada and Europe.

Brian
 
Codes said:
But if you want to get rid of them the only good way I can think of is eBay. Group them in multiple lots and try to sell them that way or sell them by the pound.
3 auctions of mine just closed last week. NO SALE :-[ They were for simi-older (1970-80s) foreign coins. This was the 2nd time I listed them and got no sale. I will not waste my ebay money on them again.

A couple of months ago I had 3 lots of much older (late 1800s - 1930's) foreign and they sold nicely.

All the canadian (after I pull out the silver) just gets spent down here in So CA, no one ever questions it. :wink:
 
Our local MD club (Cowtown Treasure Hunters) uses them to plant and have a hunt for mentally and physically disabled kids. They used silver one year but found a bunch of the kids were putting the silver coins in the soda machines, so they went to foreign coins. If anyone wants to get rid of theirs and have them put to good use, send me a PM and I will give you my snail mail addy and I will give them to Ed (he organizes the hunt) at our next meeting.
 
Or also you could roll them up yourself and find a bank that takes hand rolls (Not one of your dump banks though. They might find out and get a little angry) so you can ensure you'll get face value for them. :thumbsup:
 
all the ones I have found have been in half dollar rolls from brinks, so I assume they are so close in size and weight, they slip right thru the counter, if you don't want em........throw em in with your dumps and see if they go thru the coin counter for you like theydid for someone else....it is worth a try.
 
thanx for all the ideas guys.
i think im going to just hold onto them for a while. I mainly have alot of canadians. Pennys and dimes. I was thinking about just dumping some rolls with those mixed in but im pretty sure someone will be pissed with a full roll of candian dimes instead of us. I thought about my locale dump banks machine, but it spits out all candians.
Any who, il just sit tight with them and see what happends.
Keith
 
wayne1956 said:
Our local MD club (Cowtown Treasure Hunters) uses them to plant and have a hunt for mentally and physically disabled kids. They used silver one year but found a bunch of the kids were putting the silver coins in the soda machines, so they went to foreign coins. If anyone wants to get rid of theirs and have them put to good use, send me a PM and I will give you my snail mail addy and I will give them to Ed (he organizes the hunt) at our next meeting.

This is the best thing to do with them! :thumbsup:
 
ugotit22 said:
thanx for all the ideas guys.
i think im going to just hold onto them for a while. I mainly have alot of canadians. Pennys and dimes. I was thinking about just dumping some rolls with those mixed in but im pretty sure someone will be pissed with a full roll of candian dimes instead of us. I thought about my locale dump banks machine, but it spits out all candians.
Any who, il just sit tight with them and see what happends.
Keith

If it is mostly canadians go get yourself a Whitman book and complete the set. It is amazing to think you completed a Canadian set from US coin rolls. I have completed two Canadian pennies and almost a complete nickel and dime set. Just floors me that it was done from US coin rolls. Then like all other sets throw them in the closet for ten or so years.
Just an idea.

Happy Hunting,
Jason
 
Shake-N-Bake said:
If it is mostly canadians go get yourself a Whitman book and complete the set. It is amazing to think you completed a Canadian set from US coin rolls. I have completed two Canadian pennies and almost a complete nickel and dime set. Just floors me that it was done from US coin rolls. Then like all other sets throw them in the closet for ten or so years.
Just an idea.

Happy Hunting,
Jason

How far back are these complete sets that you've put together?
 
I have sent mine to Wayne for the disabled kids......it's a great cause. To me personally, they are worth more helping those kids out than trying to sell them for very minimal profit....if any at all.

To each his own.....good luck.
 
LJ said:
I have sent mine to Wayne for the disabled kids......it's a great cause. To me personally, they are worth more helping those kids out than trying to sell them for very minimal profit....if any at all.

To each his own.....good luck.
Shake-N-Bake said:
ugotit22 said:
thanx for all the ideas guys.
i think im going to just hold onto them for a while. I mainly have alot of canadians. Pennys and dimes. I was thinking about just dumping some rolls with those mixed in but im pretty sure someone will be pissed with a full roll of candian dimes instead of us. I thought about my locale dump banks machine, but it spits out all candians.
Any who, il just sit tight with them and see what happends.
Keith

If it is mostly canadians go get yourself a Whitman book and complete the set. It is amazing to think you completed a Canadian set from US coin rolls. I have completed two Canadian pennies and almost a complete nickel and dime set. Just floors me that it was done from US coin rolls. Then like all other sets throw them in the closet for ten or so years.
Just an idea.

Happy Hunting,
Jason

i think im going to do what jason says and put together a complete set or to
the doubles and extras i think il do what Lj does and send them to wayne
thanks again for the ideas guys
 
Shake-N-Bake said:
If it is mostly canadians go get yourself a Whitman book and complete the set. It is amazing to think you completed a Canadian set from US coin rolls. I have completed two Canadian pennies and almost a complete nickel and dime set. Just floors me that it was done from US coin rolls. Then like all other sets throw them in the closet for ten or so years.
Just an idea.

I live close to Canada, so I decided to try to collect the same thing with Canadian coins I do with US ones....1 roll of each year/mintmark/intentional variety for each denomination...more challenge to it. Haven't actually started sorting to see how I am doing, just been stockpiling for a bored rainy day.

lots of Canadians to start sorting...
Canadian totals for 2008 and (2007)
pennies 5917 (4889)
nickels 649 (834)
dimes 549 (518)
quarters 37 (121)
halves 0 (0)
dollars 3 (4)
2-dollars 8 (22)

So just over the past two years I have accumulated a little over $486 in Canadian change just from searching US rolls... Didn't realize I had that many dollars worth until just now..interesting.
 
Take them to the beach and scatter them in the sand.


Then watch the TN 'Beach and Shallow Water' section for some entertainment.
 
Guy In Back said:
Take them to the beach and scatter them in the sand.

Then watch the TN 'Beach and Shallow Water' section for some entertainment.

Now that is just to funny :D

As for what sets I have completed in Canadian here is the list:

Small Cents 1973 - 2008 (2 complete sets, very close to completing next one.)
Small Cents 1920 - 1972 (missing 13)
Five Cents 1961 - 2008 (completed one, missing a few for set #2)
Five Cents 1922 - 1960 (missing a bunch)
Ten Cents 1937 - 2008 (missing a bunch of pre 1960's)

I think that is pretty impressive for coming out of US ROLLS.


Happy Hunting,
Jason
 
Shake-N-Bake said:
Guy In Back said:
Take them to the beach and scatter them in the sand.

Then watch the TN 'Beach and Shallow Water' section for some entertainment.

Now that is just to funny :D

As for what sets I have completed in Canadian here is the list:

Small Cents 1973 - 2008 (2 complete sets, very close to completing next one.)
Small Cents 1920 - 1972 (missing 13)
Five Cents 1961 - 2008 (completed one, missing a few for set #2)
Five Cents 1922 - 1960 (missing a bunch)
Ten Cents 1937 - 2008 (missing a bunch of pre 1960's)

I think that is pretty impressive for coming out of US ROLLS.


Happy Hunting,
Jason

Hey Jason,

Do the canadian cents have mint marks, or just years? Are there more than one coin for each year, like in the US, or just 1 per year to complete the set?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom