What's new

Where do you find gold in the winter?

methevas2

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2013
Messages
77
Reaction score
35
Golden Thread
0
Looking for tips on how to be productive at beaches in the winter. I have a minab excal 2. I live where the beaches are by the ocean in fl.
L. So far i know its going to be a little wet...
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It depend on where you live. I live in Fla. we find it in the water. If you don't live near the Ocean ,you wait until the snow melts. Or go to the Mall ,to your favorite jewelry Store and PRAY to the Gold God !! Water temp 75 degrees here !!!
 
Ron's correct depends on where you are..... you have to learn peoples beach patterns like towel lines as well as the conditions in the water if you are hunting there. If there is no one on your beach.... you are doing clean up, in the water or out. Obviously lake hunting will even be different than ocean hunting. I live in Fl too, year round hunting. Up N. in the Winter... its a whole nother ball game. Ron..... that water sure wasnt 75 the other day when it was coming out of the N..... more in the low 60 with it pulling deep water in.
 
methevas2, here in CT, I wait for the windiest conditions to erode the beach sand down to the base, and then start digging.

A few years back, I hunted on a snow laden eroded beach and dug up a gold ring through 3 inches and snow and 4" down in the hard beach surface.

I love winter beach hunting.

Lorraine
 
Not knowing where you live it is difficult to say. Are you referring to metal detecting rings etc. or do you mean raw gold??
Here in Oregon on the SW coast we hunt beach gold in the winter after the storms have scrubbed the beach sands down, leaving the heavies behind. It also the only time the small freshets have enough water to operate a sluice box. I know a fellow who does the same on the Columbia River, goes along the shore and collects black sand then home to process it.
see pics of Oregon coast in winter and gold.
 

Attachments

  • 020.webp
    020.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF0064.webp
    DSCF0064.webp
    51.3 KB · Views: 122
  • BEACH GOLD.webp
    BEACH GOLD.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 137
The beaches I have are by the ocean conditions really just vary from day to day bases...usaully pushes you around a little bit. Btw my detector is a minelab excal 2
 
Ron's correct depends on where you are..... you have to learn peoples beach patterns like towel lines as well as the conditions in the water if you are hunting there. If there is no one on your beach.... you are doing clean up, in the water or out. Obviously lake hunting will even be different than ocean hunting. I live in Fl too, year round hunting. Up N. in the Winter... its a whole nother ball game. Ron..... that water sure wasnt 75 the other day when it was coming out of the N..... more in the low 60 with it pulling deep water in.

waters in the 40s up here - but I'll still get in if conditions are right
a wintrhunt (2).webp
 
Here in kansas depending on how deep the ice gets I got waders on and in the water I go.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2
 
Inspiration

methevas2, here in CT, I wait for the windiest conditions to erode the beach sand down to the base, and then start digging.

A few years back, I hunted on a snow laden eroded beach and dug up a gold ring through 3 inches and snow and 4" down in the hard beach surface.

I love winter beach hunting.

Lorraine

Lorraine you are the inspiration that keeps me hunting in the cold weather. Have a nice winter.
 
Here in N.C. And Va. In the winter at our coastal beaches the water gets into the forties and sometimes upper thirties. I use a dive suit with different insulated liners depending on how cold it is. No cold temperatures are going to keep me away from the gold! That being said, it is usually a break even proposition for me because every time I find enough gold to sell I just buy silly things with it like dive suits, another detector ( up to nine of them now ), or other detecting equipment. I love this addiction.
 
methevas2,
Are you saying you live near the beaches in Florida? If so, what part of FL. are you in?
 
Lorraine you are the inspiration that keeps me hunting in the cold weather. Have a nice winter.

Hi Professor!:hello:

Welcome to this great forum.

Lorraine
 
Looks like we are on for another warm winter. Last year in Florida it was the warmest I can remember. Its nice to get those one day cold fronts. Freezing in the morning back in shorts by mid day. Love the Florida lifestyle keeping the salt in the ocean and not on the roads.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom