What's new

Where do you sell your finds?

bettendorfJoe

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2013
Messages
85
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
Quad Cities (Iowa/Illinois)
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Just ordered my first detector and headed to the beach for vacation....CANNOT WAIT!

"if" I find something of value...where do you sell it?...I see rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc...pulled off the beaches, but no one ever says where/how they cash in.

Just curious! I'll post pics of any finds.

Good luck to everyone in the upcoming season!
 
Upvote 0
NEVER ever sell your gold items ltems to a "cash for Gold place or pawn shop as you will only get pennies on the dollar. A lot of us sell our gold to either ARA refineries or Midwest Refineries. I use ARA because they pay 96% of spot price per troy oz. If you go into one of the pawn shops and ask how much they are paying for spot they act like they don't know what you are talking about or they ask what Karet gold before they give you the price which is way less than ARA's price. ARA will also send you back any stones. http://coinapps.com/gold/scrap/calculator/ Here is one calculator you can use though I can't find the one I use.
Here is ARA's link. http://www.aragold.com/schedule.html
 
Last edited:
I would hold on to your precious metals if possible because the
spot prices are very low at this time.
 
What Sandman said..except ARA pays 98% and MIdwest pays 95%

Here's the calculator I use: Precious Metal Calculator from Dendritics (Original Version)

MY opinion: most of us are not in this hobby for the monetary gain (it is nice though). I just love the beach and the excuse to go there as often as possible! (helps to live only a short distance too).
 
Don't count your chickens before they hatch! Worry about selling your gold when you have some to sell.
 
The problem I have is that when selling to the refineries it does not matter how nice looking the item is, it's just the weight.
I keep my nicer finds, or sell to a jewelry store if they offer a good price.
The rest go to Midwest.
:occasion14:
 
The problem I have is that when selling to the refineries it does not matter how nice looking the item is, it's just the weight.
I keep my nicer finds, or sell to a jewelry store if they offer a good price.
The rest go to Midwest.
:occasion14:
I went to a local jewelery store with a bag of odds and ends some gold and a platinum ring they looked it all over and offered me 120 bucks....i turned him down and sold just the plat ring on ebay for almost 600 ....these werent my detecting finds just junk from an auction ...i never sell what i find im greedy like that ;-)
 
I have in the past sold a few pieces of gold here and there to get some extra money but for the most part most of what I found I have kept for myself in a collection. that being said now that I'm getting older I have a lot of stuff that I have and I consider the thought that if something were to happen to me all of this would end up in my wife's hands and no telling what would happened to it so I'm considering selling it all and cashing out. The refineries sound good. And don't count your gold before you find it, unless your robbing a jewelry store. Hahaha
That being said, to all you newbies... I use to figure it this way..
1 person in 100 will lose something of value....
Penny, dime, etc.
1 person in 1000 will lose something of greater value..
This could be anything from costume jewelry or sunglasses or keys or cellphone etc etc.
1 in 10,000 will lose some of greater value IE gold ring, gold or silver bracelet, diamond rings etc.
And of course 1 in a million will lose that GRAND item, such as a Rolex Watch, Diamond ring greater than a Carrot, large gold
Chain or bracelet of 30 - 40 grams etc. etc.... I know people will argue about this but I've been hunting for about 30 years and I used to hunt every day every minute that I can spare and the odds are really pretty big to find one of those one in 1 million type of items. I have hunted myrtle Beach for years and years and I've never found a Rolex I've never found a diamond ring for the diamond larger than one ^ I've never found a large gold bracelet or a large gold chain that thing said I found a lot of small gold rings I found watches I found cell phones I found lots and lots of things that probably would fall into that one in 10,000 range...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom