CaptCooter

Sep 21, 2017
N Yuba, CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300
Goldmonster
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After getting into prospecting over the past 5 years, I'm finally to the point where I have a bit of gold to sell. I told myself that when I could fill a vial, that would be when I'd sell. The day has finally come!

first-vial.JPG

I have learned, when it comes to prospecting, there is the hard way and the harder way! I'd like to avoid some newbie mistakes when selling my first gold. Any advice on where to sell (I'm in the Sacramento/Marysville area), what to expect with regards to price relative to spot, and any other gotcha's?

Upvote 9
After getting into prospecting over the past 5 years, I'm finally to the point where I have a bit of gold to sell. I told myself that when I could fill a vial, that would be when I'd sell. The day has finally come!

View attachment 2151004
I have learned, when it comes to prospecting, there is the hard way and the harder way! I'd like to avoid some newbie mistakes when selling my first gold. Any advice on where to sell (I'm in the Sacramento/Marysville area), what to expect with regards to price relative to spot, and any other gotcha's?
Good on you for your finds. Can't help though otherwise.

Have you gotten quotes from local jewelers from the Sacramento/Marysville area?

Thanks for the advice on looking for a refiner. I had not thought of that! Sure enough, there is one very close to my work, so that's about as simple as it gets.
You got me to thinking as there is two or three in a 42 mile radius of me. I don't know about 98% of spot price?

Wow! Nice you got to the point of wanting to make some money. Hope you can get a good deal.

I was stationed up at Mather AFB back in the late 80's. Just wish I'd remembered about the fact gold was discovered in /around the area. Might have gotten some while up there.

There was a sand quarry at the end of the runway, but the company actually made more money dredging out that area for the gold in the sand. They wanted to purchase the runway when the base closed, but were denied. Apparently the runway was laid atop an ancient riverbed. So there's lots of gold under that runway, which officially belongs to the US government.

My advice for you is to keep your gold ! As hard times are coming ,just like before ! keep your hard earned gold because the price is continually going up and proof of your bragging rights are hard to come by after you spent the hard earned $$$ !
Agreed. Keep the gold. The gold will be worth alot more soon due to inflation plus the BRICS nations are likely soon going to transfer to an oil for gold system which will be a double value boost to any gold you have.

Probably they assay it to get purity %, so the 40 dollar fee, then you get 98% for the remaining pure gold weight.

View attachment 2151004
I have sold lots of gold over the years. Avoid cash for gold or pawn shops. I have gone around to jewelry stores and had good results. Some do pay spot price, some don’t. I’ve gotten spot price for jewelry grade nuggets plenty of times. 1/4 gram to several grams in size. Sometimes they don’t want any at all sometimes they do. Sometimes they might only want certain pieces. A fair price from a gold buyer for clean fines and flakes mixed vial like that is 80% of spot from what I’ve experienced

My advice for you is to keep your gold ! As hard times are coming ,just like before ! keep your hard earned gold because the price is continually going up and proof of your bragging rights are hard to come by after you spent the hard earned $$$ !
I agree, keeping all of mine...

Don't sound right who pays 98% percent of spot for unrefined gold? Who's paying the $40 fee?
That's the cost of refining. He melts down the gold and then does a test to determine the gold %. He pays 98% of the gold spot and keeps the other metals. This is in the jewelry distict in downtown LA.

Wow! I've always heard 70% of spot was best to hope for. Who's yer refiner?
Check out Bullion max.com. they gave me full spot. I lost $80 in shipping, they confirm fineness and deposit into your account. They have a pretty solid reputation.

Reactions: Myk
Check out Bullion max.com. they gave me full spot. I lost $80 in shipping, they confirm fineness and deposit into your account. They have a pretty solid reputation.

Very cool. When I find enough to sell I'll defo keep them in mind. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back