where is cancun??

OP
OP
G

gus

Oct 15, 2004
you are missing the point. Cancun was "created" back in the late 60's early 70's. Does not show up on early maps etc. But back in 1804 they use the isla cancun as a reference point for a ship that was lost.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Yeah, I thought Cancun was invented by the cruise industry and spring break! ;D ;D ;D

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
RGecy said:
Yeah, I thought Cancun was invented by the cruise industry and spring break! ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, but my fraternity brothers and I put it ON the map during our senior spring break :o ;D

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"The name, Cancun, applies to the city as well as to the adjacent island resort area. Cancún city is located on the northeastern coast of the Yucatán Peninsula and is essentially a service town for the resort area of Cancún situated on an L-shaped Cancún Island (13 miles long by 0.25-mile across). A causeway to Cancún city links the resort area of Cancún (also called the Zona Hotelera/Hotel Zone)."

"Originally settled by Maya Indians, the area was first described and named Cancúne (Mayan: "Vessel at the End of the Rainbow") in 1843 by the American explorer John Lloyd Stephens and the British explorer Frederick Catherwood in their classic work Incidents of Travel in Yucatan (1843)."

So what was originally Cancun Island (Isla Cancun) is now a part of the resort area of Cancun.

Don....

http://ezinearticles.com/?Cancun-Mexico&id=411009

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
so the " la ilsa cancun" when properly translated is the " the island (of) cancun" which is today is part of the cancun resort area in mexico.

and yes while its true that the cruise industry put cancun "on the map" so to speak --the island of cancun had that name long ago.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In "Shipwrecks in Mexican Waters" published (in English in 1981) by CEDAM, it notes the vessel "Maria" (a Spanish merchant ship), Capt. Uxaboxa, sailing from Bilbao to Vera Cruz, was lost in the Gulf of Mexico. CEDAM's source: Lloyds List, #4379. Date of loss: August 26, 1803.
This appears to be 'your' vessel.
Don..........

Badfrog

Aug 31, 2007
TH is a no no in Mexico ? I was wondering that because I found a small canon off the beach in a place near cancun and was thinking of maybe trying to salvage it. I don't think it's part of a wreck as it was sitting on a shallow sandy bottom, but still a nice piece. Well, maybe the rules will change someday !

T

OP
OP
G

gus

Oct 15, 2004
the Gazetta de Mexico (1804)says the Maria was lost at "isla Cancun" Back then I am surprised they would mention Cancun. I will try and locate the Lloyds listing. Reason I am doing this is on Cozumel there is a well known shipwreck (known since the 60's) which has various trade items recovered (cheap knives rings buttons etc) plus a shipping seal with an 1802 date. Really love to figure out the ships name and history and the Maria is a possible.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gus:
You may also wish to check out the NS del Carmen (aka "La Princesa"), Capt. Remachn (sic) sailing from Cadiz to VCruz; a total loss "in the Gulf of Mexico". Same sources: Marx's CEDAM publication and Lloyds List, #4380, d.o.l. August 30, 1803.

OP
OP
G

gus

Oct 15, 2004
will do. i have Marx's publication on Mexican shipwrecks. I am just very curious why cancun is mentioned in the Gazette.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you plan on salvaging a shipwreck in Mexican waters.........it will take a large miracle. And if you plan on doing so without permission, leave contact information for your next of kin.

Island Hunter

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2008
USVI
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x and Garrnett Sea Hunter Mark2
Are you looking for Cancun or Canzun. On this late 1700 chart it is called Canzun.

Attachments

• canzun.jpg
    canzun.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 285
OP
OP
G

gus

Oct 15, 2004
nothing to salvage. just trying to get a name for what the local museum has.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread