Where is the best place to go prospecting during the winter??

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've had a great time in metro Denver in the winter (cold and sunny) but if you are going to travel...somewhere really warm like AZ or Southern NV, or even GA.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my living room with the concentrates from the summer.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Arizona. But don't tell anyone. :skullflag:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only one answer to that, it is where the gold is, the weather means nothing when you are on the gold.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The temp was 70, here in Oregon today. Within 30 miles of my place...5 rivers. Countless creeks.
I wish I had ona those slush boxes....:BangHead::laughing7::BangHead::laughing7:

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Oregon Viking, it was pretty bad this last year just across the border from you here in the northwest corner of California too. Over 100 inches of rain along the Highway 199, which parallels the Smith River. Real nice in the summertime but pretty darn wet in winter.

Mike

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
best place...

...in a hot water heated wetsuit with 2 ft of snow on the banks.:skullflag:

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Georgia, South Carolina, I suppose Alabama (??)

In the winter, it can be 50-70 or 20 something here. I'm just north of Atlanta. Just don't let the 50s and 70s fool you - the next day it could be in the teens with a crapton of ice on the road. Fun stuff...

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Oregon Viking, it was pretty bad this last year just across the border from you here in the northwest corner of California too. Over 100 inches of rain along the Highway 199, which parallels the Smith River. Real nice in the summertime but pretty darn wet in winter.

Mike

Yeah Mike... I heard all about that from "The Other Jeff". He was still trying to dry out when we talked last week.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Oregon is too cold and rainy.

Seriously now... I'd say that would depend on what gear you have to work with. While people will tell you Arizona or S. California desert areas, you have to remember that the desert areas can get damn cold at night too. .....But it's a dry cold. (I couldn't resist that one)

Most areas out here have a year round lack of water so drywashing and detecting are your best bet in most areas. You'll just have to fight all the other snowbirds for space is all.

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Deal with the weather, we dredged in 28 degrees, sluiced in pouring rain, and panned in the wind. Its all about just getting out to me, weather is only an inhibitor when my gear cant beat it. Cheers!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Deal with the weather, we dredged in 28 degrees, sluiced in pouring rain, and panned in the wind. Its all about just getting out to me, weather is only an inhibitor when my gear cant beat it. Cheers!

That's the spirit...and there's no weather my gear can't beat!

Although, it's hard to sluice a seriously iced over creek and dry washing under 4 feet of snow is tough going ;)

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe this thread should have started as " Where is the best place to mine in the summer time " Heat is enemy, cold is dealt with hard work to keep me warm and also finding the gold, all is forgotten when I see it. I feel for those that are dealing with the heat around the rest of the country right now, it is going to be in the 70's this weekend in western Washington, I will be out mining. Be safe out there, no matter what time of the year you go mining.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread