WHERE IS THE SILVER COMING FROM???

half dollar bill

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys,half dollar bill here. My password got messed up, but it is now fixed. I wonder if any of my fellow CRHers can help me with this question.

In february, I started getting halves from a bank that deals with dunbar. At first, the halves were in coin lok bags of $1000. I ordered 2 bags a week. I rarely found anything.
The bags were from central kentucky. A few months later they changed to boxes. Still found very little. I was thinking of stoping my orders when things changed. My best dunbar fing for $2000 was 3 40%ers. On july 12, I found 14. Then I started finding 5 per week. I increased my total to $3000 per week. On septwmber 5, I found 40., next week 17, on the 19th,57 silvers. On sept. 26, 64 pieces, includeing 40 90%ers, of which 26 were walkers. I upped my total to $4000 per week. the next week I found 1 40, but the next week,I had seven skunk boxes,and 1 box with 79 40%ers. I could not believe that box. The following week I found 98 pieces,the next week 57

I wonder if I am gettring to older boxes, because a number of boxes had coins no later than 1995. The funny thing is, though, some of my best finds have been in boxes that have 2010 coins in them. This bank is a small bank, and I wonder if they are the only ones in town who deal with dunbar, because it took me about 9 months to come across a bank that deals with dunbar. Most banks in my area are brinks and garda. USbank is brinks, and they have coins machines that are free. In fact, a gut in the dayton area dumps $18,000 a week at the same branch.

Upvote 0

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The earth... Jeeze.. I kinda though this was common knowledge...:laughing7:

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here, there are a lot of skunks and an occasional great box. I got a Brinks box with (2) 90% and (29) 40% today. Then like 10 boxes that were all skunks...

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here, there are a lot of skunks and an occasional great box. I got a Brinks box with (2) 90% and (29) 40% today. Then like 10 boxes that were all skunks...

Collection dumps.. I have to pick through collection dumps that have trickled OVER to my area....LOL, I seriously can't think of anywhere in the U.S that would have less elderly people with coin collection getting dumped then where I live.
I actually can't believe I find any silver at all. I can't imagine where it comes from...
I'm just glad I find "enough" and that I haven't been completely cut off. Over a long period of time even meager finds could be quite the stash. :D

Last edited:

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
Hey guys,half dollar bill here. My password got messed up, but it is now fixed. I wonder if any of my fellow CRHers can help me with this question.

In february, I started getting halves from a bank that deals with dunbar. At first, the halves were in coin lok bags of $1000. I ordered 2 bags a week. I rarely found anything.
The bags were from central kentucky. A few months later they changed to boxes. Still found very little. I was thinking of stoping my orders when things changed. My best dunbar fing for $2000 was 3 40%ers. On july 12, I found 14. Then I started finding 5 per week. I increased my total to $3000 per week. On septwmber 5, I found 40., next week 17, on the 19th,57 silvers. On sept. 26, 64 pieces, includeing 40 90%ers, of which 26 were walkers. I upped my total to $4000 per week. the next week I found 1 40, but the next week,I had seven skunk boxes,and 1 box with 79 40%ers. I could not believe that box. The following week I found 98 pieces,the next week 57

I wonder if I am gettring to older boxes, because a number of boxes had coins no later than 1995. The funny thing is, though, some of my best finds have been in boxes that have 2010 coins in them. This bank is a small bank, and I wonder if they are the only ones in town who deal with dunbar, because it took me about 9 months to come across a bank that deals with dunbar. Most banks in my area are brinks and garda. USbank is brinks, and they have coins machines that are free. In fact, a gut in the dayton area dumps $18,000 a week at the same branch.

You know, I've been looking FOREVER for a bank that carries Dunbar. I have found brinks, loomis, and garda, and I know there is a Dunbar facility in my city but still can't seem to find a bank that uses them. My theory was that if I could find a bank using Dunbar, I would have better luck thinking since they were so hard to find, they wouldn't be sending out as many halves. I think you somewhat proved my theory correct. It also hurts me that you got it from "central Kentucky" LOL. Nice man. You hit a good source. I'm gonna have to try even harder to find a Dunbar source.

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
As a follow-up, I called the Dunbar facility in my city here in KY. I asked if I could buy coins directly from them and the lady said no. I also asked if they serviced any banks in KY so that I may be able to buy from those banks and get Dunbar coins and she said no. I wish I knew how the hell to get coins from dunbar!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lovewiibrew said:
As a follow-up, I called the Dunbar facility in my city here in KY. I asked if I could buy coins directly from them and the lady said no. I also asked if they serviced any banks in KY so that I may be able to buy from those banks and get Dunbar coins and she said no. I wish I knew how the hell to get coins from dunbar!

Next time you see a Dunbar truck, follow it. VERY CAREFULLY. Then you will have your answer. This may be your only solution but it is not suggested.

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
Next time you see a Dunbar truck, follow it. VERY CAREFULLY. Then you will have your answer. This may be your only solution but it is not suggested.

I had thought about that but she said they did not service any banks in KY. Though I suppose she could be lying or just didn't want to deal with me. I've seen brinks/loomis trucks around here but have yet to see a dunbar truck.

OP
OP
H

half dollar bill

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
You know, I've been looking FOREVER for a bank that carries Dunbar. I have found brinks, loomis, and garda, and I know there is a Dunbar facility in my city but still can't seem to find a bank that uses them. My theory was that if I could find a bank using Dunbar, I would have better luck thinking since they were so hard to find, they wouldn't be sending out as many halves. I think you somewhat proved my theory correct. It also hurts me that you got it from "central Kentucky" LOL. Nice man. You hit a good source. I'm gonna have to try even harder to find a Dunbar source.

The people at the facility won't tell you because they are not allowed. Look for a small, local bank. I just got lucky and found thuis one. I didn't even know they existed until I drove by one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread