Wheres the Ammo?

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's the Ammo?

I went in to WalMart to pick up some 12 gauge target loads today. Nuthin- nada. Shelves were just about bare. Went across the parking lot to another sporting goods store- same story.

So, not to be deterred I go to a popular online supplier. 12 gauge target rounds: Cheddite 7 1/2's, 8's, 8 1/2's- all out of stock.
Federal 8's, Fiocchi 9's- out of stock. Rio 7 1/2 & 8's- out of stock. Federal, Winchester - out of stock.

138 of 195 12 gauge items were OUT OF STOCK !

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same story here in Iowa. Went to a local gun store they have about half of what they normally have and everything they do have is double the price it was last time. Walmart is out of everthing and so is the local hardware store.

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT PRO, and Garrett Pro Pointer. Hope to one day be good enough to justify buying a Whites V3Xi.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no way to check whether this is true or not, but I read something a couple days ago that said ALL ammo manufacturers are running at full capacity but that all ammunition is being reserved for the federal govt and police, little if any will be released to civillians. Looks like it's gonna get worse before it get's better.

Brownells shows Remington gold box 22lr on backorder til october at the earliest.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya for the last couple of weeks my buddy has been trying to find those boxes of .22 bullets and he cant find them anywhere. All he can find is the little 20 bullet boxes of the expensive stuff and that is marked up to.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nationwide ammo shortage so severe that even cops can’t buy bullets; ammo rationing imminent

Mike Adams
Natural News
January 11, 2013

One of the great myths of modern society is that the police are heavily armed and have both ammo and personnel in huge numbers. In reality, it’s quite the opposite: police and sheriffs are dangerously under-staffed all across the country in nearly every city and town. Furthermore, severe budget cuts have left law enforcement with dwindling ammunition supplies. In some departments, it’s so bad that nearly the only ammo available is what officers are carrying on their duty belts.

And now it has just gotten far worse.

Thanks to outrageous Sandy Hook fear mongering by the mainstream media and political operatives like Feinstein, Obama, Cuomo and others, the American people have been rushing out to buy up every bullet, every rifle, every handgun and very nearly every gun-related product in the country. This is all because people like Biden, Obama and Feinstein are openly declaring war on the Second Amendment and threatening to outlaw or restrict firearms, magazines and ammunition.

“Channel 2 Action News has learned local police departments cannot get their hands on the ammunition they need,” reports WSBTV in Atlanta.

WSBTV continues:

“There’s been more demand for ammunition than there’s ever been,” reports Jay Wallace, owner of Smyrna Police Distributors in Cobb County. Wallace is now worried some departments could have to wait up to a year for factories to ship certain kinds of rounds in bulk. Leaders with most [police] departments … said they’re prepared to handle short shortages, but not long-term. “We’re going be starting to get very concerned at the six-month level if that’s all we have in stock, because then we have to start planning and rationing.

Rationing? Yep. It’s here already, and the global debt collapse hasn’t even begun yet!

Ammunition inventory status

The mass rush by citizens to purchase ammunition ahead of an Obama / Biden unconstitutional (and unlawful) executive order banning such sales has resulted in the near-depletion of available ammunition as follows:

• Rifle rounds are completely gone everywhere.
• Shotgun shells are somewhat more available but still limited.
• Handgun rounds are limited and becoming difficult to find.
• 22LR rounds are completely gone. Lesser-known varmint rounds such as .17 HMR are still available.

The backlog of ammunition demand now exceeds one year. The backlog demand for rifle magazines now exceeds one million units. The demand for rifles themselves has reached record levels, with a one-year backlog on production just to meet present-day demand.

Here are some of the messages you’ll see across the internet right now at online retailers’ websites:

Cheaper Than Dirt:
Consumer reaction to the political rhetoric after the shooting in CT caused a rush of online orders at Cheaper Than Dirt! which led to the largest backlog in the company’s history. Ammunition and shooting accessories orders more than tripled, resulting in week-long shipping delays. The past three weeks have been spent catching up on the tremendous backlog of orders, training additional staff and increasing inventory back to acceptable levels. …firearms that are in high demand are not currently available from manufacturers due to the lack of inventory. This includes most modern sporting rifles.

Ammo To Go
EXPECT DELAYS: Due to high order volume, we are experiencing a shipping delay of 22-24 business days…

Midway USA
ALL AR-15 magazines currently showing “out of stock, NO backorder.”

Brownells
Due to extreme order volumes, shipments may be delayed. We will continue to make every effort to get orders out the door as quickly as possible.

Why this matters: Social unrest

Here’s why all this matters. In a time of social unrest, cops are your best friends. Without cops on the streets, every major U.S. city would devolve into a gang-infested crap-hole within 72 hours or less. Cops are the men and women in blue who prevent the more malicious members of the human race from expressing the kind of evil sons of *****es they really are deep inside.

If you think humanity is “inherently GOOD,” you’ve never been a cop! Ask any cop and they’ll tell you the far less fashionable truth: People are inherently EVIL, selfish, deceptive and dangerous. That’s why we need cops in the first place, isn’t it? To keep some criminal-minded dirtbag from breaking into your home, stealing your jewelry and raping your dog. (Or whatever it is they do.)

Cops get a bad rap in peace time, of course, but in a collapse scenario — or something worse — you’ll be begging for 911 to function so you can dial a phone and have (relatively) friendly men with guns arrive at your doorstep.

Society needs cops to prevent criminals from running rampant across neighborhoods and pillaging to their heart’s delight. Or, better yet, society needs every household to own a rifle, a shotgun and a handgun for their own defense, but unfortunately that’s not yet the case in America. (Although it nearly is in Switzerland.)

So what happens when cops run out of bullets?

It’s not good. Not unless you’re a gang member just waiting to commit mayhem all over town.

If gang bangers ever figure out that the cops are out of bullets, it will be all-out war in many U.S. cities, including Miami, LA, Detroit, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia and NYC. A disarmed police force is no police force at all, since it’s only really the threat of high-velocity lead that actually stops bad people from doing bad things. (Criminals don’t care if you ask nice. They are only motivated by their own survival.)

It also means that the feds will have a strong ammunition advantage over local cops and sheriffs, since the U.S. federal government has been stockpiling 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition domestically, right here in the United States.

Why does this matter? Here’s why:

Will states resist a federal gun grab?

Think about where all this is headed, folks: Wyoming lawmakers have already announced their “Firearms Protection Act” which would make it a felony crime for feds to restrict or confiscate guns from the citizens of Wyoming. It reads as follows:

Any official, agent or employee of the United States government who enforces or attempts to enforce any act, order, law, statute, rule or regulation of the United States government upon a personal firearm, a firearm accessory or ammunition that is owned or manufactured… in Wyoming… shall be guilty of a FELONY and, upon conviction, shall be subject to imprisonment for not less than one year…

Yeah, I didn’t make that up. Wyoming folks are serious about their rifles and their ammo… as are folks in Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Kentucky, Maine and practically every rural area across the country. It’s very likely that Texas, Arizona and other states may follow Wyoming’s example and seek to criminalize federal gun grabbers.

If Obama’s gun control schemes turn out to be foolishly aggressive, this could set off a state’s rights showdown between the feds and local law enforcement. But if the feds have all the ammo, where will state peace officers find ammunition to defend the people of their state?

The answer is YOU. It will ultimately be YOUR ammo that will be needed to defend states against an anti-America, anti-Constitution federal tyranny that attempts to invade and overrun states. The People, of course, have always been the common defense against tyranny. In the Constitution, this is referred to as the militia.

Hopefully it won’t get that bad and cooler heads will prevail, but given where things appear to be headed, all this could become very relevant more quickly than you think. It’s a good thing the citizens of America purchase over 1 billion rounds of ammo in the last month, as they may very well become the source of ammo for a common defense against domestic enemies of America.

Rifle inventory update

Here’s the latest info in terms of rifle manufactures:

Noveske Rifleworks = SOLD OUT
POF-USA = SOLD OUT
Rock River Arms = SOLD OUT
Bushmaster = SOLD OUT
Barrett = SOLD OUT
DPMS = SOLD OUT
… and on and on.

Buds Gun Shop is in a state of such total disarray that they actually cashed my check for a firearm they allowed me to “purchase” on their website, then they called me back days later and said they actually DIDN’T have the firearm after all because they had made a “mistake,” and they had to issue me a refund check. This managed to tie up my funds for a couple of weeks during which all the other available rifles disappeared off store shelves. (Thanks a lot, Buds, for making me miss out on probably the last rifle purchase I’ll be able to make until 2014…)

Seeing the opportunity to profit from the supply and demand, Buds is now running real-time auctions on firearms, live on their website. A Bushmaster 223 rifle that used to sell for $800 or so is now fetching $2,900 in the auction. Yep, your existing inventory of rifles just TRIPLED in value. Hmmm… now I think I know where my missing rifle actually went…

On a personal note, I obviously don’t recommend you try to buy anything from Buds until all this is over, as you never really know if they’re going to deliver the rifle you’ve already paid for. (What a crap way to conduct business, for the record. When we sell goods at the Natural News Store, we always have them in stock and ready to ship. Is that so difficult?)

This article was posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 at 5:51 am

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Then try Bass Pro or Cabela's. Bought .22's last week at Bass Pro and lots of 12 gauge in stock. Even had my .44 spl, but only in wadcutters. But they never have Speers Hollow Points anyway. Might not be a shortage here because lots of folks do their own reloading. ALL my friends do. I'm just too lazy...

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Walmart and Academy in Bryan/College Station don't have anything for inventory either, but they do have signs limiting the number of boxes you can buy.
I have ben told that Gander Mtn and Academy have shipments once a week, and it's all sold within 30 minutes of the doors opening.

Bill

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why the f#$% don't manufacturers make more????? it would create jobs right..or would they rather see prices go uo so they can the kind of profit percentages big oil and auto makers see....are they trying to get what they can while they can?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those that didn't stock up are hurting now. Better learn how to reload your shells now and stock up on powder..

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come to Wyoming. I still go shooting 500-1000 rounds every weekend. I have to be smart about my calibers, but there is still a LOT of ammo out there.

Only thing you can't get here is .223 or .22lr. Everything else seems available still.

WM

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why the f#$% don't manufacturers make more????? it would create jobs right..or would they rather see prices go uo so they can the kind of profit percentages big oil and auto makers see....are they trying to get what they can while they can?

Well they can only run 24/7 and most probably are if they have enough workers to run 3 shifts. Also the raw materials must be contracted for in advance. You can not pick up the phone and say I want to buy 2000 tons more brass this week then normal it just does not happen there is only so much available and if you must buy it without a long term contract it will cost a lot more if anyone has it sitting in a warehouse and not on contract. Normally a big outfit that makes millions of rounds a week will have a long term contract with a supplier for brass, copper and lead. Powder can not be made much faster it is a continuous process for most powders so the line never really shuts down it may for a day or two while it is re geared for another powder. Only way to increase powder production would be to built a new plant and that takes years and million of dollars. Bottom line is when there is a sudden increase in demand production can not keep up, capacity is limited by factors out of our control. Ammo will be available sometime it is being made as fast as it can be believe me the manufactures are capitalists and they will be making every thing they can sell. Prices will go up because they are paying overtime to employees to run the plant longer and paying premiums for materials that are going to be in short supply. Because the panic buying will only last a limited time the manufactures will be hesitant to build new plants or even assembly lines to existing plant. On the good side the US military is slowing down operations worldwide and that should lower demand for ammo on military contract but most likely the effect will take a while to be seen as contracts for ammo by the military are let well in advance of anticipated need and they will store ammo a long time building up war reserves which much be pretty low by now. The things that will really suffer is production of obscure low demand ammo like say 30-40 Krag by the major maker Winchester. This is low demand ammo probably they make one or two runs a year of a few million rounds. With demand for .223 so high the resources for ammo like that will go into making .223 because it can be sold the day it is made and switching to another caliber shuts the lines down for a while while they re retooled. I see ammo for sale at the shows, prices are high it is not a good time to buy unless you need it bad. So far I have seen no proposed legislation that forbids ammo production or purchase. Just wait and only buy what you need.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then try Bass Pro or Cabela's. Bought .22's last week at Bass Pro and lots of 12 gauge in stock. Even had my .44 spl, but only in wadcutters. But they never have Speers Hollow Points anyway. Might not be a shortage here because lots of folks do their own reloading. ALL my friends do. I'm just too lazy...

...nope our Bass Pro has bare shelves too....even reloading stuff(thats when I get concerned.....pretty hard to make a primer)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't believe EVERYTHING a gun shop owner tells you. I wanted a Mossberg 500A from one store. He said he could not get it. Big 5 had them on the shelf... and has had them for weeks now! Ammo? A different story! TTC

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely agree Terry. I know a LOT of dealers around the state, and I can very safely say without hesitation that most of them are trying to push the fear as far as they can. More fear=more money. Some very unscrupulous dealers, and some of them are the big box stores.

WM

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh boy, can't wait to step into another ammo shortage. Remember 2008 when obama was elected and everyone started spreading rumors he was going to put serial numbers on bullets or firing pins haha what a crock of bs.

Every time there is a scare we are going to buy out all the ammo now, way to tip your hand to the gun lobby America. Now they know all they have to do is dial down production and let a rumor out that the ammo might go away. Prices go up with demand, dial up production incrementally and like a frog in boiling water people won't notice they're part of a marketing scheme to drive up sales.

good thing i already have enough bullets, although, I wouldn't mind getting some 32 s&w reloading dies, those little buggers are getting pricey.

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think I'll delay the trip to the range and hold on to my ammo for a while .. By the way don't forget the gun shows they always have what I need even though that $6-$8 parking is a rip..

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh boy, can't wait to step into another ammo shortage. Remember 2008 when obama was elected and everyone started spreading rumors he was going to put serial numbers on bullets or firing pins haha what a crock of bs.

Every time there is a scare we are going to buy out all the ammo now, way to tip your hand to the gun lobby America. Now they know all they have to do is dial down production and let a rumor out that the ammo might go away. Prices go up with demand, dial up production incrementally and like a frog in boiling water people won't notice they're part of a marketing scheme to drive up sales.

good thing i already have enough bullets, although, I wouldn't mind getting some 32 s&w reloading dies, those little buggers are getting pricey.

That is true to a degree,however in this state(Calif)they are currently talking about some straight scary ammo regulations.Only way they will ever sucessfully control guns is through ammo IMHO

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is part of the reason for no ammo///
Dept of homeland Security has purchased 450,000,000 rounds of .40 cal HP rounds and had another order onthe way for 750,000,000 more/// Why ????
They have also purchased 2500 GLS armored fighting vehicles ++++
see http://www.fbo.gov to conferm//
Note: HP rounds are designed for maximum destruction and are OUTLAWED for milatary wartime use/////

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
guess i hadn't looked that far into what individual states are doing. I just hope the gun show is still on at home when i get back, i want to pawn off a few rifles and look for a high cap magazine for my saiga 410

I found it disturbing this morning listening to the radio on my way in to work. The broadcast announcer was commentating that in Adelaide there have been 13 shooting deaths since the new year, and in (Sydney?) i think there has been almost one person shot every other day. The guest attributed it to more people idolizing gun violence as a means to end arguments. He said that if American Media hadn't portrayed their wild west sort of mentality on AUS television people wouldn't get it in their head to shoot each other. If that wasn't bad enough, the host kept almost badgering him... "But the guns are banned, where are they coming from?" She noted that the 1996 ban resulted from a gang war involving pump shotguns that apparently left several civilians in the cross-fire. then she said that a BIKER had been caught with a fully automatic Uzi. Again, she asked where the guns were coming from, the guest replied "well, I'm pretty sure they've always been here, they're just illegal now." I was listening in dis belief as this woman just couldn't wrap her head around how guns could be there illegally, how they could have possibly been smuggled in, how they could have been there since before 1996 and just not turned in by criminals. It made me think that people like her must be on the legislative side of things. She went further to probe her guest on how they could take the rest of the guns away in order to prevent violence. He thankfully responded that he didn't think that was the answer, but seriously, do people think that taking something away will end violence? Criminals will still be armed, and lets face it, people were hurting each other a long time before guns were part of it, (oh they commented on the increase in stabbings in Australia too). They ended their commentary eluding to how most bikers MUST be part of the gun problem because they all deal drugs and are part of criminal activity. Ho-Lee-Carp.

That broadcast has been eating at me all day and i just got home from work. This head hunting that's is going on in the states seems quixotic at best. I still hold out strong hope that our legislature will hold fast to our rights. I can't comment on the bullets, maybe if they are outlawed in wartime, I would imagine a large number of those rounds will be spent off in target practice, another large percentage will eventually make it to the surplus market, what happens with the rounds that are utilized in a manner to which they are designed, I couldn't make an accurate assumption.

And im sorry California, based on your track record, if your state can find a way to screw you, they are probably going to do it. Don't get me wrong, I think the state of California itself is lovely, I would even go so far as to say I would like to live there, but some of your laws and political bs keep me far, far, far, away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread